Post-War Modern/Neighborhood Evolution

domus48

Well, I will probably be whacked upside the head for what I'm about to write but that's the way it goes sometimes...

I personally think there is legitimacy in both the Mediterranean amalgam/pastiche home forms and other less traditional home forms (i.e. post-war modern). Having said that, I do wholeheartedly agree that the destruction of significant and valid architecture forms* is not nor should it ever be considered as justifiable without an attempt at preservation -- at the very least a thorough evaluation of the potential to save the structure.

Memorial Bend is currently being assaulted rather aggressively by developers. There are three new unoccupied homes (certainly qualifying as so called

Well, I will probably be whacked upside the head for what I'm about to write but that's the way it goes sometimes...

I personally think there is legitimacy in both the Mediterranean amalgam/pastiche home forms and other less traditional home forms (i.e. post-war modern). Having said that, I do wholeheartedly agree that the destruction of significant and valid architecture forms* is not nor should it ever be considered as justifiable without an attempt at preservation -- at the very least a thorough evaluation of the potential to save the structure.

Memorial Bend is currently being assaulted rather aggressively by developers. There are three new unoccupied homes (certainly qualifying as so called "mcmansions" but they are at least reasonably tasteful from the street-side) and at least two more on the way

You should check out Banks and Milford streets between Mandell and Montrose. It's the weirdest amalgam of avant-garde modern/postmodern houses and postwar ranchburgers I have ever seen. The funniest thing is that there are no McMansions. They're all a lot weirder than that. I posted some pictures in this thread last spring.