Suggestions for back yard

All that is there is mud/dirt depending on the weather, and these things that look like little lilly pads. We have two digging puppies, and I wonder if a ground cover would be better than St. Augustine. The hollow tree (no Keebler elf jokes, please, kept the yard shaded where nothing grew. I love to garden, but don't know much about what would work. Any suggestions?

Edited by PapillionWyngs

I hate St. Augustine. It needs constant tending and cannot handle lots of traffic. I would plant lots of native trees, shrubs. Have someone bring in a bunch of large rocks and in areas where you want grass, plant Buffalo grass.

I can hear the flamers coming.

I hate St. Augustine. It needs constant tending and cannot handle lots of traffic. I would plant lots of native trees, shrubs. Have someone bring in a bunch of large rocks and in areas where you want grass, plant Buffalo grass.

I can hear the flamers coming.

You did mention the most important thing that you will need to build your yard around.......PUPPIES.....

Based on their energy level, they can dig up anything you try to plant. See attached link for poison information related to pets.

http://www.sniksnak.com/plants.html

Also, this link provided us with lots of great ideas and the forum was specific to Texas. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/txgard/

The first thing we did was buy a large kennel 8' x 13' x 6' high so our dogs had a nice play to stay while we estabished our yard. View the pics to see what our dogs did to our side yards and how we fixed it. Do your neighbors have dogs?

post-2271-1192127468.jpg

post-2271-1192127498.jpg

post-2271-1192127511.jpg

post-2271-1192127519.jpg

• 1 month later...

My dogs dont care too much for the grass, which I have been trying to kill off. Too much mowing and sweating. My large dogs prefer to wrestle on the wood deck, though they would certainly get more traction in the dirt. So think decking, stone patio, ground cover, shade trees, gravel, bark mulch.... low maintenance. Why plant something you have to cut every week?

If I had more space in my back yard I'd plant more fruit trees and the grass be damned. Satsuma, meyer lemon, fig, pear, there are even apple varieties that do well here. The trees typically don't get very big.

My satsuma is so loaded with fruit it looks like it's going to uproot itself.

I was heavily influenced by seeing these everywhere in SoCal. (Bouganvilla). Even all around the freeway exits and entrances.

These are nice colorful additions but be cautious, they are hell once they mature. Just get out of hand and you will be forever pruning them. Needles are like hardcore sharp. Just like razor blades. Not worth the trouble.

I cut all of mine down and they come back with a venjeance, like taunting me! Yikes! :blink:

Santa-Rosa-Bouganvilla.jpg

All that is there is mud/dirt depending on the weather, and these things that look like little lilly pads. We have two digging puppies, and I wonder if a ground cover would be better than St. Augustine. The hollow tree (no Keebler elf jokes, please, kept the yard shaded where nothing grew. I love to garden, but don't know much about what would work. Any suggestions?

There are numerous websites and books devoted to landscaping and gardening specific to the Houston area (which is unlike any other). It takes time to research them and decide what you need and want. Local (not BigBox) plant nurseries are good places to visit - they always have someone available to answer questions. The most important thing is to develop a master plan that will allow you to work on your yard as time and money permit, rather than doing a "quick fix" here and there.

Fencing off a temporary area for your puppies to play in is a priority. A couple of inches of smooth pea gravel for its "floor"would be easy to clean, provide drainage and keep them from getting muddy. As you develop your landscaping, the dog yard can be moved or incorporated into the plan.

The master plan for my small yard calls for a deck, hardscape, crushed granite walks and planting areas - no grass. It will be a work-in-progress for a couple of years.