K Way Off Topic: Books

Lowbrow

Tell me some of your favorite reads. Fictional, Factual, Poetry... I don't care.

Here are a couple of mine (fiction):

Pillars of the Earth, (Follett)

The Passion, (Winterson)

One Hundred Years of Solitude, (Marquez)

Confederacy of Dunces, (Toole)

Microserfs, (Coupland)

On the lighter side I like:

Ender's Game, (Card) sci-fi

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, (Heinlien) sci-fi

The Deed of Paksenarrion, (Moon) fantasy

anything by wally lamb seems to be a great read- i just finished his latest "i know this much is true" and really enjoyed it.

my nephew gave me hendrik hertzberg's "politics, observations and aruguments 1966-2004" - so far i've only read the intro but it looks promising.

right now i'm reading "the heart aroused" by poet david whyte (poetry and the preservation of the soul in corporate america) and it puts into words things i've been trying to figure out, like how to stay in the rat race and maintain sanity. i recommend this book to everyone trying to find balance between their art and their practical obligations to society.

debmartin

I tend to read 2 or 3 books at a time (1 in my car, 1 on my bed stand, 1 in my napsack, etc).

Currently I am reading:

City on Fire by Bill Minutaglio (good book about the Texas City explosion of 1947)

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (interesting but he's losing me at the end)

Thieves in High Places: They've Stolen Our Country And It's Time To Take It Back by Jim Hightower (former Railroad/Ag Commisioner) (Very Funny)