Ft Hood

holden

What do you want to know? Yeah it's big, that's about it. To me it's just a regular military post.

My future ex is in the National Guard and I have to go up there. I been there, but not really familiar with it. I received a call from the military medical personnel about some cases and they want me to go up there ASAP. I have to stay on base but I can't remember what a civilian can do on base?

My future ex is in the National Guard and I have to go up there. I been there, but not really familiar with it. I received a call from the military medical personnel about some cases and they want me to go up there ASAP. I have to stay on base but I can't remember what a civilian can do on base?

Not much. I guess that's why little towns outside of posts exist. Killeen has really grown over the years. I'm usually on post just for training.

Anybody familiar with or know about Ft Hood, except for the fact it is the largest Army base around??

Fort Hood came into existence in 1942 as the nation was gearing up for war. Today it's the largest military installation in the United States. Everything you ever wanted to know about Fort Hood, including the Confederate General it's named for, is in this link right here. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/fac...y/fort-hood.htm

Fort Hood came into existence in 1942 as the nation was gearing up for war. Today it's the largest military installation in the United States. Everything you ever wanted to know about Fort Hood, including the Confederate General it's named for, is in this link right here. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/fac...y/fort-hood.htm

That is great but I wonder if anyone had actual photos for the public to see? Many of us only hear of this place but curiousity creeps in as would be expected.

Just imagine low mesquite trees and short light brown buildings everywhere. I used to live in the area. A freeway passes right through it and they actually built a nice large new airport that's a joint civilian/military airport (http://www.flykilleen.net/) .

Bell County is a weird place, fwiw. I think there's almost 300,000 people there, but you wouldn't know it. The area is like one huge suburb--but nice Hill Country scenery.

Just imagine low mesquite trees and short light brown buildings everywhere. I used to live in the area. A freeway passes right through it and they actually built a nice large new airport that's a joint civilian/military airport (http://www.flykilleen.net/) .

Bell County is a weird place, fwiw. I think there's almost 300,000 people there, but you wouldn't know it. The area is like one huge suburb--but nice Hill Country scenery.

That's pretty much it. I use to do most my training in Aug. It gets really hot and dry around that time of year, it was almost a sure thing that someone became a heat casualty.

I did run up there around May and I must admit when it rains and everything is green the post looks nice.

Someone had asked earlier about what there is to do there. I just remembered that there is a sports bar with bowling and pool tables, a couple of museums, movie theater with really old movies showing occasionally and of course the main PX and shoppettes. That's about it. You will probably find far more things to do off post.

As far as pics, sorry I don't have any (photo taking is usually prohibited or at least frown upon)if I did I wouldn't feel right posting them (OPSEC). You can always google there website.Believe me you are not missing much

That's pretty much it. I use to do most my training in Aug. It gets really hot and dry around that time of year, it was almost a sure thing that someone became a heat casualty.

I did run up there around May and I must admit when it rains and everything is green the post looks nice.

Someone had asked earlier about what there is to do there. I just remembered that there is a sports bar with bowling and pool tables, a couple of museums, movie theater with really old movies showing occasionally and of course the main PX and shoppettes. That's about it. You will probably find far more things to do off post.

As far as pics, sorry I don't have any (photo taking is usually prohibited or at least frown upon)if I did I wouldn't feel right posting them (OPSEC). You can always google there website.Believe me you are not missing much

I forgot about the bowling alley.

Believe me you are not missing much

That is funny. Reminds me of how my mom would talk about growing up as a child in Elgin & Bastrop way back. We would go visit over the years only to get barbecue and say Hi to 1 or 2 old friends left. Other than that it was like a scene from "The Last Picture Show". Dead as can be. Charming little place but I could curl up in a ball and plotz! :mellow: Tumbleweed rolling by, dust, etc.

That is great but I wonder if anyone had actual photos for the public to see? Many of us only hear of this place but curiousity creeps in as would be expected.

I know a lot of the GI's who spend time there aren't all that thrilled about being in a place as hot and dry as the middle of Texas, but Fort Hood is actually a pretty nice place, with plenty of places for off-duty relaxation. Think of it as a military city, with a lot of amenities for the GI's and their families.

Check out this website: It has a lot of photos of places to go and things to do at Fort Hood.

http://www.hoodmwr.com/

Archived