buying large blocs of land

kyle

depends on the definition of "large".

everything has a price.

i don't think there are many "large blocs of land" in inner city houston, but you could certainly buy out a neighborhood if you had the means (ie, time and money) to do so.

i wouldn't mind buying Acres Homes.

how feasible is it to buy large blocs of land in inner city neighborhoods?

have any large developers ever tried this or is it impossible?

The most notable example is the properties owned by the Menil Foundation, which surround the museum. Don't know how long it took them to acquire all that property, and thankfully it wasn't done by developers.

One of the largest blocks of land is Wilshire Village at W Alabama and Dunlavy. It's my understanding that people are lined up and drooling for that to go on the market.

how feasible is it to buy large blocs of land in inner city neighborhoods?

have any large developers ever tried this or is it impossible?

It is not impossible. KBR is eventually going to sell off 81 acres along the Buffalo Bayou, Lovett Homes is remediating and redeveloping over 30 acres just a stone's throw from there, Angel/McIver purchased about 100 acres at the former Astroworld site, Hardy Yards still has about 40 acres available, and there are plenty of others. Eventually industrial facilities like Grocer's Supply on Holcombe and Central City Industrial Park on Polk will open up.