2 Questions for a relatively new home owner

I'm pretty handy, but never had much reason to do much handy as I grew up in a new construction house.

Now - we have a solid-wood front door that was painted over at one point. We'd like to do something different with it, either stain or wood... the question is, is it better (or even possible) to strip the paint and basically start over with it?

Second question - we have a fireplace in the house, that we'd like to use during the 6 cold weeks in Jan-Feb, but when we had the house inspected, the general contractor said it looked like it had never been used. We would like to have a fireplace expert check it out and generally show us how to use it (I have never had one before...) Any suggestions on a fireplace contractor?

for the door: Strip the paint and start over. you'll be happier and the wife will leave you alone while you buy manly tools.

Follow up with a xanax.

second: Just take a xanax when you pick someone to inspect the chimney, you won't care about the bill after that.

for the door: Strip the paint and start over. you'll be happier and the wife will leave you alone while you buy manly tools.

Follow up with a xanax.

second: Just take a xanax when you pick someone to inspect the chimney, you won't care about the bill after that.

I took a snap shot of Ricco when he posted this, and this is how it came out. just kidding

inwz9j.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Something you might consider........every fall, your gas company should send you information on gas related products, you might check out what is offered for gas fire set-ups....(I am assuming your fireplace has gas). The Gas Co. lets you pay over time with your gas bill..........the new log sets are very realistic and give off lots of heat. They generally install a new fire box (option of glass doors) with log set-up.

Burning wood is a pain, can put soot stains in corners of your ceiling and is a greater pain to clean.

Another option: Go to a local Fireplace Co. They can setup an inspection for you and recommend what is best for your current fireplace.

1) are you sure your door is solid wood? The perry built home I live in has a fiberglass door with a fake woodgrain veneer put on the outside.

2) roll up a piece of newspaper diagonally from one corner to the other tightly (diameter of a quarter) such that it is about 12 inches long and has room for air to flow down the middle.

open the flue of the fireplace, light the newspaper and stick it up into the chimney. hot air wants to rise, so you should see an updraft develop. If the smoke instead fills the room, the flue aint open or something is blocking the stack.

Once you get the flue open and an updraft developed, you are good to go.

Start a fire by crumbling up 4 pieces of newspaper in small tight wads of paper. Place them in a square on the bottom of the fireplace.

Place some kindling on top of the paper.

Light the delicate flower up.

Once the kindling gets going, you will have to build the fire slowly at first.

Being in Houston, you will never need more than 2 logs on the fire at any time, so I wouldnt worry about starting the house on fire.

If you are unsure, buy me a 6 pack of st arnolds christmas ale and Ill show you how.

Archived