I have two White Oaks in front our my house that are dropping all of their leaves very early this year. I think a lawn guy may have put Bonus-S under them, but I'm not sure that is the problem. Am I right in thinking that this is too early for the leaves to be dropping? It's been going on for over a month. Any recommendations other than spending a ton to have someone come check them out? Is there anything you can do to reverse the effects of Bonus-S? Could it be something else? I really dont' want to lose these tree's they were a big draw for us buying this house.

Thanks,

AJ

I am not a tree guy, but all plants drop their leaves when under stress. Given that it had been so wet this year, and now abruptly so dry (when was the last time it rained?), I wouldn't be surprised if the tree just decided to give up until the Spring. My Shumard Oak in the front is starting to brown up early this year, too, and I've seen a few downtown and in Memorial Park that seem to have realized it was now Fall. Unless he put down the Bonus-S sometime last week, that probably isn't a problem.

post-3786-1190681779.jpg Here they are, one from the tree (at least 90% look like that or worse) and one from the ground. If these aren't white oaks please let me know...I'm not much of a tree person but I was pretty sure of what they are.

Thanks!

That is a Post Oak which is part of the White Oak family. Those trees have a very sensitive root system, I would try to poke holes in the ground 1/4 wide X 8-12 inches deep holes from the trunk to 15 feet past the canopy for better oxygen and drainage to the roots. Oak Wilt is something you might think about also, but very rare if any in Harris County.

Edited by Marty

That is a Post Oak which is part of the White Oak family. Those trees have a very sensitive root system, I would try to poke holes in the ground 1/4 wide X 8-12 inches deep holes from the trunk to 15 feet past the canopy for better oxygen and drainage to the roots. Oak Wilt is something you might think about also, but very rare if any in Harris County.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks a ton for the help.

No problem, I am good at identifying any tree in SE Texas, but I don't keep up with the chemical part because it changes so much.

One more possibly important thing I didn't mentions is that my fig and live oak in the back as well as my crapemyrtle's on the side have all been dropping their leaves/blossoms throughout the summer as well. Nearly every leaf from the fig fell and now it's re-blossoming. My neighbor also has crapemyrtles and doesn't have the same problem.

Regardless, I'll be creating the holes tomorrow.

AJ

I blame most of the problems on the record setting wet summer we had, but now the ground is dry. I had to poke holes in my yard because its on a hill.

Edited by Marty

No problem, I am good at identifying any tree in SE Texas, but I don't keep up with the chemical part because it changes so much.

There are some trees out at the Bear Creek Dog Park that I call Tennis Ball Trees. Any idea what they are? They have some kind of fruit? on them the color of tennis balls, slightly larger though.

There are some trees out at the Bear Creek Dog Park that I call Tennis Ball Trees. Any idea what they are? They have some kind of fruit? on them the color of tennis balls, slightly larger though.

If it looks like this, then its a Osage Orange but not a real orange, if you cut one open it very sticky. you see them alot in west Texas.

8yi141.jpg

Edited by Marty

One more possibly important thing I didn't mentions is that my fig and live oak in the back as well as my crapemyrtle's on the side have all been dropping their leaves/blossoms throughout the summer as well. Nearly every leaf from the fig fell and now it's re-blossoming. My neighbor also has crapemyrtles and doesn't have the same problem.

Regardless, I'll be creating the holes tomorrow.

AJ

My fig tree did the same thing a couple months back, but I thought it was because I cut it back so I could mow around it.

Thats it, thanks! Very sticky and they taste very bad, someone did cut one open and taste it. lol

When I was about 8 years old on a hunting trip in Paducah Tx, My grandpa told me to cut one open, I had to use gasoline to get it off my hand's while he was ROTFLOL. :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Edited by Marty