Real Travel Time Between NW & Bellaire?

snickstx

K, I just found out that I'll be moving to Houston before the end of the year. I also found out that my job will most likely be in Bellaire (Weslayan & Richmond) so I'm trying to determine the quickest real-life route for rush hour coming from 1960/249.

Google has me going down 290 to 610 then to Westheimer. For some reason I have mental image of a sea of brake lights for 2 hours each way.

I also see that I can take 249 all the way to Shephard and follow that all the way to Westheimer. Now, it looks like it's mostly surface streets but I prefer to stay off the highways anyway. Also, this would provide for more escape routes in the case of excessive traffic.

So, people that have or do travle this route, what am I realistically looking at as far as travel time on a normal day?

Thanks

K, I just found out that I'll be moving to Houston before the end of the year. I also found out that my job will most likely be in Bellaire (Weslayan & Richmond) so I'm trying to determine the quickest real-life route for rush hour coming from 1960/249.

Google has me going down 290 to 610 then to Westheimer. For some reason I have mental image of a sea of brake lights for 2 hours each way.

I also see that I can take 249 all the way to Shephard and follow that all the way to Westheimer. Now, it looks like it's mostly surface streets but I prefer to stay off the highways anyway. Also, this would provide for more escape routes in the case of excessive traffic.

So, people that have or do travle this route, what am I realistically looking at as far as travel time on a normal day?

Thanks

Gosh, I would think that 249, to the Beltway West to Westpark Tollroad to 59N to Weslayan would be much faster. I would avoid 290 and 610 at all costs during rush hour.

You are looking at a grueling commute either way. 2 1/2 hours a day in your car if there aren't any wrecks.

Why move to 1960 if you work in this location? Houston is getting more populated every year. If you haven't moved here yet, look for a home closer to work.

Edited by KatieDidIt

290 is bumper to bumper traffic from the 6 to the 610 pretty much every day during rush hour. Backups of more than 2 hours are routinely reported by the public radio station in the morning. Even the frontage roads are completely backed-up with suburban commuters just waiting to get on to the highway. I would go stark raving mad if I did that commute.

Seriously look into another place to live, if you can. What about the Sugarland area?

Gosh, I would think that 249, to the Beltway West to Westpark Tollroad to 59N to Weslayan would be much faster. I would avoid 290 and 610 at all costs during rush hour.

You are looking at a grueling commute either way. 2 1/2 hours a day in your car if there aren't any wrecks.

Why move to 1960 if you work in this location? Houston is getting more populated every year. If you haven't moved here yet, look for a home closer to work.

I agree with Katie. From 249/1960, the best way would be the Beltway to the Westpark tollroad. However, you are looking at $5.00 each way (I think). That's $10 per day to commute. That adds up.

If you have not already bought a home in Champions area, please reconsider. You will be spending HOURS each day stuck in traffic or paying through the nose in tolls. Hwy 290 is, IMO, the worst now. I take the first exit on 290, and the highway signs each day report travel time from 35-60 minutes to go from 290/610 loop to 290/Beltway. Miserable.

WOW, thanks for such a great response....although not what I really wanted to hear. My problem lies more in the fact that I don't intend (yeah, I know, road to hell and all) to stay at that office for too long. My goal is to go to another office near Greenspoint as soon as possible, which could mean 6 months or 20 years with my company.

The biggest factor is 2 kiddos so the schools are the most important factor to me. My oldest has already been in 3 schools; she just started 2nd grade. I'd like to try to keep both of them in one place for a while. Also, as a single Dad I have to be careful about housing costs. I see alot more of the style and size I like up in Champions in my sub-near-150k range than anywhere else.

Not trying to sound like a prima donna, I just don't want to gamble on buying closer in and have to sell and move again in a few months. I'm already going to take a bath on the profits on my house in Fort Worth. Decisions, decisions.

I guess I could just ride the bus for 3 hours a day and try to find a good 24 hour daycare. LOL

WOW, thanks for such a great response....although not what I really wanted to hear. My problem lies more in the fact that I don't intend (yeah, I know, road to hell and all) to stay at that office for too long. My goal is to go to another office near Greenspoint as soon as possible, which could mean 6 months or 20 years with my company.

The biggest factor is 2 kiddos so the schools are the most important factor to me. My oldest has already been in 3 schools; she just started 2nd grade. I'd like to try to keep both of them in one place for a while. Also, as a single Dad I have to be careful about housing costs. I see alot more of the style and size I like up in Champions in my sub-near-150k range than anywhere else.

Not trying to sound like a prima donna, I just don't want to gamble on buying closer in and have to sell and move again in a few months. I'm already going to take a bath on the profits on my house in Fort Worth. Decisions, decisions.

I guess I could just ride the bus for 3 hours a day and try to find a good 24 hour daycare. LOL

If it makes you feel any better, no one has taken a bath on selling their home (flood/or fire excluded) close into town in about 10 years.

All the public schools in and around Houston have about the same education, just some districts are "safer" than others. Bellaire is a great school district.

We just moved back from the Woodlands and my husband's commute has gone from 3- 4 hours a day to 10 minutes a day. He says he feels like he got his life back and he can participate in all the kids activites.

Edited by KatieDidIt

What hours are you working? If you can hit 290 by 6am, it's tolerable. After that, take a Xanax.

Maybe what you should do is to go to the gym before or after work NEAR where you currently work. There are several people that leave super early, get a workout near their jobs and be ahead of the commuters. After work, (depending on when you get out) you can find easier alternative routes (THANK YOU XM226!) or again, go the the GYM, Pub, B&N to decompress.

Either way you're looking at being away from home for 11-13 hours a day.

While your long range plan is to go to the Greenspoint office, thereby decreasing your commute, then you're better off getting something closer to city core so you can reverse commute.

But is it possible to find something in Bellaire for under $150K? There's not a whole lot close in that's going to be in that price range.

not in Bellaire proper. even the tiniest lots with teardown ready living are going for $250k+

the smallest are between Newcastle Dr. and the railroad tracks - the lots are 5,000 square feet and the new homes average around 4,000 square feet.

i love the tagline realtors copy and paste for the originals: "Home is liveable...but being sold for lot value only."

now, if you like the idea of paying $800k for a spec home, you'll fit right in.

Well, Great(ish) news for me. It looks like I'll be able to go straight into the Greenspoint office although it might be after the 1st of the year. I have nothing against the area inside the loop, I lived there myself about 15 years ago, but the almighty dollar rules right now. Single dad, 2 kids, sporadic child support and an underpaying job keep me well out of private schools and $200k+ houses. Out of the areas I have looked at, Cy-Fair seems to be the best fit for my life right now for housing, education and ammenities. Plus, it's far enough from my family that there won't be too much "dropping by" to say hi.

Now, I just need to find a daycare.

Thanks All