Need Old Victrola Refinished

EastEnd Susan

I have an old Victrola in a cabinet that stands about 4 feet tall. Back in the late 60's when the craze came to antique everything, my mother did just that. That beautiful Victrola with the beautiful patina that belonged to my great grandmother was painted green! Now mom doesnt want it anymore and I know there is beautiful wood under all that paint. Does anyone know of a furniture guy or gal that does great work and isnt too expensive. I just want it stripped to the original wood and some kind of protection..(not glossy) put on it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Susan,

I wouldn't do a thing to it other than clean real good with a damp cloth and maybe put a light lemon pledge.

I have two victrola's that have the crank on the side. One is dated March 1912! One month before Titanic went down. I practically flipped when I saw that. The other is about 1920 and both of these work! The older one still had some records dated 1906. 1908, etc! There is a place I know of where you can still buy original 1900 working records. I found Rudy Vallee, Al Jolson and various cool bands/orchestra's from them days.

Anyway, I have seen some of those so-called antiques places on lower Westhemier RUIN the original patina's and gloss due to repainting and other fast/cheap redoe's. Dont fall for it! Everytime I see Antique's Roadshow, the person doing the price value of the item tells the owner,

"It would have been worth hundreds more if you hadn't of had it refinished" You have lowered the value tremendously by having it done over"

Just my advice.

Now I will go back to doing "The Charleston" ! :P

victrola.jpg

Susan,

I wouldn't do a thing to it other than clean real good with a damp cloth and maybe put a light lemon pledge.

I have two victrola's that have the crank on the side. One is dated March 1912! One month before Titanic went down. I practically flipped when I saw that. The other is about 1920 and both of these work! The older one still had some records dated 1906. 1908, etc! There is a place I know of where you can still buy original 1900 working records. I found Rudy Vallee, Al Jolson and various cool bands/orchestra's from them days.

Anyway, I have seen some of those so-called antiques places on lower Westhemier RUIN the original patina's and gloss due to repainting and other fast/cheap redoe's. Dont fall for it! Everytime I see Antique's Roadshow, the person doing the price value of the item tells the owner,

"It would have been worth hundreds more if you hadn't of had it refinished" You have lowered the value tremendously by having it done over"

Just my advice.

Now I will go back to doing "The Charleston" ! :P

victrola.jpg

If it were still original I wouldnt touch a thing. But since my mother painted it I want to get the paint off. I'm picking the victrola up friday at my moms and I cant wait to see the date on it. I'll let you know when I find out. They probably had some of these on the Titanic. I actually have a room dedicated to Titanic and the Victrola will go in there. How very cool. Thanks.

One of the ones I have is a Brunswick and the needles are a trip! They are literally tiny nails you insert and hand lower the needle.

Its interesting to note that here we are in very modern times and most people may or may not know that these victrola's were the only new source of intertainment next to someone playing an instrument right in front of you.

Radios were not made yet as far as I know so all you had was this sucker for family get togethers and parties.

That is what is so charming and fascinating to me anyway is to picture a few couples sitting around on a Saturday night. One guy cranks the music up (literally) and the others get up and Waltz or Tango. There may not even have been a fan to stand next to but determined people were to have fun to this exciting musical contraption. Best part was you did not need electricity!

This lady looks like she's ready to party! In fact the one I have looks just like this one!

57.jpg

Mine looks very similar except it doesnt have the fancy carving on the feet and sides. It has that fin that sticks out on the sides but its plain. I think it was the model VV XII. It also has the little nails that screw into place on the phono arm.

I found a place in Baytown that will refinish it for a reasonable price. They did an antique chair for me some years ago and did a fantastic job. Its a good drive for me but the other people wanted 600 to 800 dollars to do it. Town and Country will do it for 350.

If it were still original I wouldnt touch a thing. But since my mother painted it I want to get the paint off. I'm picking the victrola up friday at my moms and I cant wait to see the date on it. I'll let you know when I find out. They probably had some of these on the Titanic. I actually have a room dedicated to Titanic and the Victrola will go in there. How very cool. Thanks.

You might try this:

http://www.ibacktonature.com/Pages/readystrip-PD.html

It worked great on all my doors, windows, and trim. I haven't used it on furniture but i think it is supposed to work fine on it.

It makes stripping paint very easy and it is safe!

I have a 1926 Victrola (If i remember the year correctly) Still plays and looks great. It would be perfect if the stoopid movers had not broke the tips off two of the feet during my last move! :angry2:

Archived