General DSLR thread

tommyboy444

Hey guys, just wanted to start a general thread about my new and expensive hobby, photography. i know there are a lot of talented photographers on this site and i hoped to hear from more experienced shooters.

i bought my first dslr, and nikon d40 2 months ago on editors recommendation (i was interested mostly in photographing people.) since then i have bought a 1.8 50mm and a sb800 flash. now i am drooling over a d300 and a 2.8 17-55mm lens. ugh how did this happen?

anyways, please share your gear, favorite books, locations, or anything. i am trying to learn as much as i can

Edited by tommyboy444

I have a Minolta SRT101 from the 1970's that my uncle gave me several years back, there is still undeveloped film in the leather case. probably from one of his overseas trips back then.

5x5aip5.jpg

Edited by Marty

Why?

Because you can take a few pics at one time without waiting

TJones, this is a step backwards from DSLR. You've got a certified "Point & Shoot" on your hands.

You obviously don't have any kids Jeebus, those anklebiters are fast, and point and click is imperative in most cases for catching moments. There is a whole sleu of settings for the camera. The settings I have now still get some absolutely fantastic wonderful shots. I will post some here later to show you.

Edited by TJones

You obviously don't have any kids Jeebus, those anklebiters are fast, and point and click is imperative in most cases for catching moments. There is a whole sleu of settings for the camera. The settings I have now still get some absolutely fantastic wonderful shots. I will post some here later to show you.

"Point and Shoot" does not mean you are limited with your settings. I am no expert but I know that the optical components of a DSLR are a lot more complex than the DSC series by SONY. It is a nice camera. As you can see it is comparable to other higher quality point and shoot cameras such as the Canon PowerShot G6, Casio EXILIM EX-P700, Olympus C-7000 / C-70 Zoom and Pentax Optio 750Z. If your lens automatically focuses when you turn your camera on, you're dealing with a point and shoot.

• 4 weeks later...
TJones, this is a step backwards from DSLR. You've got a certified "Point & Shoot" on your hands.

Step backwards is relevant. A current point and shoot can do amazing things when it's in the right hands.

The photographer makes the photograph - not the camera.

Edited by Dalton Russell

I do have a kid & a few dogs (that my wife seems to think are her children). I won't argue the merit of the DSC-V3's abilities, I was only arguing it's classification. We use a Canon Powershot A710IS. It does everything I could ever ask for in a P-n-S.

Are digital cameras good for the fact that you can snap pics and choose the ones you like and just DELETE the ones that came out bad before having the negs processed?

I want something that you could take say to a wedding snap numerous pics and put in you coat pocket. Nothing big and bulky. Who makes a decent camera at a reasonabl price?

Can you give a ballpark figure?

I really don't want to spend over $200.00

Suggestions anyone?

Hey guys, just wanted to start a general thread about my new and expensive hobby, photography. i know there are a lot of talented photographers on this site and i hoped to hear from more experienced shooters.

i bought my first dslr, and nikon d40 2 months ago on editors recommendation (i was interested mostly in photographing people.) since then i have bought a 1.8 50mm and a sb800 flash. now i am drooling over a d300 and a 2.8 17-55mm lens. ugh how did this happen?

anyways, please share your gear, favorite books, locations, or anything. i am trying to learn as much as i can

I have a D80 I picked up last year and have tried to find more time to get into the hobby. This is my first DSLR also and I have a lot to learn about photography I also picked up a sb800, a great compliment. I have the nikor 18-55 kit lens that came with it and a zoom lens a 55-200mm. So far I really enjoy nature/ landscape photography. I took a trip last spring to brazos bend state park and got some great pics. And this summer i went to utah/colorado/arizona/new mexico and saw Zion,the painted desert/slot canyons/mesa verde(canyon dwellings), and much more. I'd like to get a nice wide angle lens as I borrowed one for my last trip and it was nice.

Edited by westguy76