Arthur Murray Dance Studios In Houston

Vertigo58

arthur.jpg

Just wondered how many of you may recall seeing Arthur Murray's dance studios around Houston? Some of you may have had parents or an aunt's or uncle's that attended some classes. I realize it was way before many of our times but I thought it woud be kind of cool to look back. Wiki says there are still 190 still in operation! I just barley remember hearing his name on the radio and sometimes on TV shows even up until the mid 60's. I know there were a few of his studios around town but where I don't know?

Now everyone, all together now... one two cha-cha-cha, three, four cha-cha-cha! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Murray

Edited by Vertigo58

I remember one on Westheimer near Cafe Adobe as late as sometime in the 90's, I think.

Yeah, Thats where I think I did see the last one. The place was such a mystery as you passed. As a kid I always wanted to see people dancing as we drove past. Funny how all of this is back again though.

My mom was an Arthur Murray dancer in the mid 50s, probably at the one on Westheimer since she lived in that area. Another of the dancers introduced my mom to his brother, and nearly 50 years later they're still together!

She's got some cool photos of the studio and the shows they put on. If I can get her to scan some, I'll post.

I taught dancing at Arthur Murray and Fred Astaire back in my misplaced youth. That would have been 35 years ago at the Murray studio on Gray. It was a small operation. The big one was Astaire's in the Windsor Plaza. I taught at the sister studio in South Houston on College St. It was really big business back then, with studios fleecing old ladies out of their life savings. Since I'm felmale, I was never in on such goings-on, but I saw plenty.

I also saw some beautiful dancing. They had semi-yearly competitions that were "to die for." That job was were I learned to drink (thanks alot!) and met gay people for the first time. What an eye-opener for a girl from a tiny town in Missouri.

Anybody else out there who "pounded the boards"?

My mom was an Arthur Murray dancer in the mid 50s, probably at the one on Westheimer since she lived in that area. Another of the dancers introduced my mom to his brother, and nearly 50 years later they're still together!

She's got some cool photos of the studio and the shows they put on. If I can get her to scan some, I'll post.

This would be fantastic! To post some photos that is! Can't wait to view!

Maybe we'll see some Tango or Watusi?! Too cool! :lol:

OK, my mother scanned the only four photos she still has. They are all from one night, a Medal Ball from the mid 50s, where the students were given medals for their accomplishments in class, and the staffers put on some choreographed dances. This particular Medal Ball was held at the Shamrock Hilton.

She worked at the Arthur Murray studio downtown on McKinney, which was the first. The one on West Gray opened next. She said the dance studio that was across Westheimer from St. Anne's was Stevens of Hollywood, owned by Lance Stevens.

The only photo my mother is in is the first -- she's the second from the left, so you can't see her face.

The other three are dances that she choreographed, including a three-person tango, a cool number to "Fever", and a Viennese Waltz.

Enjoy!

Mom-Arthur_Murray.jpg

Three.jpg

Fever1.jpg

Viennese.jpg

Edited by nativehou

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

My name is Todd Combs and there is an Arthur Murray Dance Studio in Houston! And there are hundreds of locations all over the US and in 17 Countries. We are still the biggest ballroom dance company in the World. Here is the website: www.DanceTX.com

If you have any questions about Arthur Murray let me know..and I love the pic's of your mom...Nice!!!

Todd Combs

Arthur Murray Dance Studio

(936)321-9200

post-4928-1194390878.gif

Hi all,

My name is Todd Combs and there is an Arthur Murray Dance Studio in Houston! And there are hundreds of locations all over the US and in 17 Countries. We are still the biggest ballroom dance company in the World. Here is the website: www.DanceTX.com

If you have any questions about Arthur Murray let me know..and I love the pic's of your mom...Nice!!!

Todd Combs

Arthur Murray Dance Studio

(936)321-9200

Wow!

Please feel free to divulge some history and if you know of any friends that can share stories and or pics! We have a friend of the family that just revealed to us the other day that he was once an instructor for A Murray Studios back in the day. We never knew until at a recent Gala event he was just like Fred Astaire on the floor and we all joked that he should teach and he said I did for Arthur Murray years ago and still do teach on the side. Small world indeed. :)

Did someone really have to show you how to dance the Twist?

Speaking as someone who came of age in the age of The Twist, I can testify that yes it did take a little bit of coaching from someone who knew it to get the movement just right.

You have to remember that in those days, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knew anything more than slow dancing and the 50s version of 40s swing dancing. The Twist was something completely new, and its twisting moves didn't come naturally to many of us, me included.

I know an Episcopal Priest who was an Arthur Murray dance teacher in his college days back in the 60s. He still uses that experience in his sermons from time to time. He uses learning to dance as a metaphor for couples learning to work together and have a happy and harmonious marriage.

Edited by FilioScotia

learning to dance as a metaphor for couples learning to work together and have a happy and harmonious marriage.

I personally think that dancing is the best way to meet someone opposed to a bar, anyday. Normally in a pleasant environment with many others trying to reach the same goal, Companionship. Look how popular ABC 13's Dancing with the Star's has become and shows no signs of slowing down. In fact the show has created an explosion or rather a sensation in dance once again.

These shows seem to come back from time to time. In the 50's it was extremely popular American Bandstand, then Shindig in the 60's then late 70's it was disco craze Dance Fever.

So here we are again! :lol:

• 1 year later...

I taught dancing at Arthur Murray and Fred Astaire back in my misplaced youth. That would have been 35 years ago at the Murray studio on Gray.

Did you know a dance instructor named Ernie (Arthur Murray W. Gray)? I filmed he adn a lovely lady dancing there..still have the film.

• The title was changed to Arthur Murray Dance Studios In Houston