Pejorative Terms

domus48

I'm sure there is a moderator for this forum so it's somewhat puzzling that the term "idiot" has not been called-out as inappropriate when referring to others and their choices. Use of these types of terms is less than professional and certainly not courteous. Certainly there are ways in which to express one's disdain and/or disagreement with terms more appropriate for a forum in which written words may be directly linked to an individual.

One should be able to express oneself but there are ways to do so which are far more sophisticated and less overtly judgmental than with inflammatory terms. This is an forum specifically for discussions regarding post-war modern architecture with benefits being enlightenment, historic documentation and perhaps even historic activism.

What this forum is not is a "star chamber" -- though it occasionally borders on such.

Let's strive to keep pejorative terms out of the "discussions".

I'm sure there is a moderator for this forum so it's somewhat puzzling that the term "idiot" has not been called-out as inappropriate when referring to others and their choices. Use of these types of terms is less than professional and certainly not courteous. Certainly there are ways in which to express one's disdain and/or disagreement with terms more appropriate for a forum in which written words may be directly linked to an individual.

One should be able to express oneself but there are ways to do so which are far more sophisticated and less overtly judgmental than with inflammatory terms. This is an forum specifically for discussions regarding post-war modern architecture with benefits being enlightenment, historic documentation and perhaps even historic activism.

What this forum is not is a "star chamber" -- though it occasionally borders on such.

There are several moderators o HAIF, however all are volunteers so they aren't able to read every message in every thread.

If you see something you think is inappropriate, contact a moderator. You can find a list of them by clicking on the "The moderating team" link of the front page.

Therein lies the problem. Those of us that find blatant attacks on ones character, a moderator may see as "a person merely making a point". Then they just let it go.

Words like YOU in bold, stupid, dufus, ignorant-jerk, etc are commonly used. There are some attacks on present topics and are not deleted. I imagine the recipient just gave up reporting, what else? Oh and attacks on one's personal beliefs are the norm.

Non the less it is unacceptable in a professional environment. Get ready for the old "freedom of speech" comeback. :wacko:

It really becomes an "American Idol" panel on a pretty much daily basis. The usuals suspects become Simon. Ganging up is also very common. Many good contributors have fled after being bullied off or rather "Voted off the Island" if you will. Not for the faint at heart. Be sure to read the Open Letter topic some brave soul sent in. Everyone blamed each other of course. Remember the Twilight Zone episode The Monsters on Maple Street?

or As D. Trump would say Your fired!

Domus, where the real problem lies is that usually the ones going back and forth with the name calling have actually been writing to each other on here for over a year or so, most cases over 2 years. Don't take it to heart. Now, if someone were to come on here and call you those things, when they barely know you after 34 posts, then that is definately uncalled for. For us oldtimers and veterans on here, it is kind of expected from the one or two folks who type it going to the one that it is intended for.

People eventually kiss and make up. . . or at leat make up.

Had a case study done on this site and it says the angry person creating the ruckus is merely showing his true affection for the person he is attacking. He just doesnt know how to express himself. Kind of like when the bully picks on the kid in school. :lol:

What is funny is that many times when we reply to a topic we dont always check the "email notification" tab so we don't know that someone is letting us know they don't agree on something, so they think we are ignoring them. Makes sense?

Many times people just want a one time answer to a survey or something and heck I dont care to know the answer. Too many emails, so I don't check the tab. Hence by the time that person gets to you they are all high blood pressured out, etc. It's comical at best. Can be all cat & mouse.

Here's is the thread that is in question. I still stand by my comment about tearing down that house. which was a general term not directed at anyone on this forum, click the thread link for more detail. I am sorry that you two took it the wrong way, I hope you build something nice on that property. http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...c=12335&hl=

Archived