Is there any way to get mortar off the face of brick?

...where there used to be a wall. The current homeowners ripped out the wall (I see some like it in the nieghborhood - I wish they'd have kept it) - and now there are traces of mortar up and down the front and side of the house where the wall was. The person who is re-doing the inside of the house told me to match the brick and he'd build me another wall.

As much as I would like that - hubby says that an 8 foot high wall in front of the front door (with an opening, of course) is a safety hazard, and he doesn't want it rebuilt Some homeowners took theirs down to 4 feet - some made planter boxes - but, I digress.

Anyway to remove those unsightly mortar stains?

The standard way to get it off is to use a brick cleaning acid. (muriatic acid) Mix it half-and-half with water (always pour the acid into the water), and pour or paint this solution on the mortar. The mortar will fizz up; when it stops fizzing, you can hose it off; if it is a little stubborn, scrub it with a wire brush and rinse.

The standard way to get it off is to use a brick cleaning acid. (muriatic acid) Mix it half-and-half with water (always pour the acid into the water), and pour or paint this solution on the mortar. The mortar will fizz up; when it stops fizzing, you can hose it off; if it is a little stubborn, scrub it with a wire brush and rinse.

Thanks. This is a light color brick. Will the muratic acid stain it?