What's Houston got that N.O. doesn't? Plenty

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see.......

Public school systems that at least approach the goal of educating children.

A police force that is not entirely corrupt.

At least part of our town is above sea level.

And apparently since Katrina one other thing Houston has that New Orleans doesn't - New Orleanians.

Let's see.......

Public school systems that at least approach the goal of educating children.

A police force that is not entirely corrupt.

At least part of our town is above sea level.

And apparently since Katrina one other thing Houston has that New Orleans doesn't - New Orleanians.

"Now I tell ya, I don't care who you are, that right there was funny."

All of Houston is above sea level.

Or atleast mostly all. But I think all. Even Galveston is above, I think.

I believe Reefmonkey was saying there are no parts of N.O. that are above sea level, although I do believe the French Quarter is the high ground of the city and might be above sea level. I am not sure.

Can someone please tell me WHEN this wonderful forum became so friggin' LITERAL ?!?! Am I the only one that can recognize a joke from a geographical fact ? 'Scuse me while I go ram my head into a brickwall and pull my hair out. That is a figurative brickwall, not a literal one, and don't worry, I won't ACTUALLY pull my hair out. I promise.

Can someone please tell me WHEN this wonderful forum became so friggin' LITERAL ?!?! Am I the only one that can recognize a joke from a geographical fact ? 'Scuse me while I go ram my head into a brickwall and pull my hair out. That is a figurative brickwall, not a literal one, and don't worry, I won't ACTUALLY pull my hair out. I promise.

Now that was funny!!

Those comments are pathetic. They call Houston a big, soulless Metairie. Bad food, and no culture at all. It is basically "thanks for helping us after Katrina, but we don't need you guys anymore".

Those comments are pathetic. They call Houston a big, soulless Metairie. Bad food, and no culture at all. It is basically "thanks for helping us after Katrina, but we don't need you guys anymore".

Don't sweat it Trae. The negative comments were that of jealosy.

My wife and her entire family are from Baton Rouge, and can tell you that I've learned something about cajuns. Their damn loyal to Southern Lousiana. Notice that I said"Southern Loisiana". It's kind of like South Texas versus North.

This is how much I care about what people from NAWLINS think about my city.

raemissedbythatmuch07232003.jpg

Uhh I knew it was joke and I also realize that a joke can be factual. I hope that didn't actually bother you that much or am I being literal again. :blush::D

Don't sweat it Trae. The negative comments were that of jealosy.

My wife and her entire family are from Baton Rouge, and can tell you that I've learned something about cajuns. Their damn loyal to Southern Lousiana. Notice that I said"Southern Loisiana". It's kind of like South Texas versus North.

I wouldn't exactly call Baton Rouge, "Cajun."

• 3 months later...
Gads! The comments by the readers on that blog are so rude!

Well, come on now. Consider who you're talking about. I can honestly say i've never met a cordial person from New Orleans. Seeing their plight after Katrina also confirmed my impression of those folks: lazy, shiftless, waitin for "da gubmint" to bail them out, and overall, not very nice. Must be the french in them.

Did I just say that......

Well, come on now. Consider who you're talking about. I can honestly say i've never met a cordial person from New Orleans. Seeing their plight after Katrina also confirmed my impression of those folks: lazy, shiftless, waitin for "da gubmint" to bail them out, and overall, not very nice. Must be the french in them.

Did I just say that......

So, do you know me? because I from NewOrleans and Currently residing there. First of all there is not a lazy bone in my body, shiftless? you don't even want to go there. Let me give you my Katrina story, I had full strom coverage on my home (wind & water) and you know what my insurance company screwed me over. I had four feet of water to enter my house along with roof damage, the damage was estimated at $200,000 my insurance company only gave me 10 of that , which was only enough to fix my roof and gut my house. I've been living in my house for a year and a half now, without you and governments help. the only thing that I want the Govt to do for me is to fix those levees that's all, after that you along with the Govt can kiss my yahoo. I paid for my home to be rebuilt , not you nor the Govt and there are many, many more people like me. How ironic, your impression of us is quite the same way how I feel about you you are a very rude nasty mind. If you are capable of opening that mind of yours , you would know that not all of the evacuees are like you profess they are.....I see they media has gained access of your mind. Are all people in Houston alike ? NO , and all of the people in NewOrleans aren't either. My point is don't judge people who you absolutly know nothing about, that goes for all of the folks that left those nasty mean-spirited comments. Happy Thanksgiving!

So, do you know me? because I from NewOrleans and Currently residing there. First of all there is not a lazy bone in my body, shiftless? you don't even want to go there. Let me give you my Katrina story, I had full strom coverage on my home (wind & water) and you know what my insurance company screwed me over. I had four feet of water to enter my house along with roof damage, the damage was estimated at $200,000 my insurance company only gave me 10 of that , which was only enough to fix my roof and gut my house. I've been living in my house for a year and a half now, without you and governments help. the only thing that I want the Govt to do for me is to fix those levees that's all, after that you along with the Govt can kiss my yahoo. I paid for my home to be rebuilt , not you nor the Govt and there are many, many more people like me. How ironic, your impression of us is quite the same way how I feel about you you are a very rude nasty mind. If you are capable of opening that mind of yours , you would know that not all of the evacuees are like you profess they are.....I see they media has gained access of your mind. Are all people in Houston alike ? NO , and all of the people in NewOrleans aren't either. My point is don't judge people who you absolutly know nothing about, that goes for all of the folks that left those nasty mean-spirited comments. Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the forum, NO Law. Yeah, this topic had been pretty much an unanswered slap session until your post. (I don't know what got into the kids back in August, it was a bit hot then :rolleyes:). Sorry to hear about your plight with the insurance company...sounds like another disaster. We really need to hear from people like you as to what really has been going on over there since Katrina.

One thing I'm wondering is how many of the new homes are being built elevated. It's outside the box architecturally so I imagine the vast majority are going with conventional slabs, which seems a shame when the city has a chance to put create a unique adaptive style and make NO forever habitable too.

Welcome to the forum, NO Law. Yeah, this topic had been pretty much an unanswered slap session until your post. (I don't know what got into the kids back in August, it was a bit hot then :rolleyes: ). Sorry to hear about your plight with the insurance company...sounds like another disaster. We really need to hear from people like you as to what really has been going on over there since Katrina.

One thing I'm wondering is how many of the new homes are being built elevated. It's outside the box architecturally so I imagine the vast majority are going with conventional slabs, which seems a shame when the city has a chance to put create a unique adaptive style and make NO forever habitable too.

Thanks for welcoming me danax , but it still seems a bit hot now....although things have cooled off. I just don't want folks to have an assumption that all of the Evacuees are alike. While I don't have an accurate number on the new homes that are being elevated, but I'm pretty sure that most of the new homes constructed are elevated. For some areas of the city it's a requirement (Lower9), some insurance companies aren't even covering homes that are located in a flood area without them being elevated.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions & keeping the stereotype alive. In the spirit of the season, I have a gift for you.

murry cri-muh, yo.

Although my grammer is among the worst here, that was still damn funny.

Well, I was pretty damn frustrated when I began typing that post...wasn't paying attention to grammer and/or spelling.

fromsc2tx: You are welcomed to go along with any steryotype about me and/or the people that live in this state, go right ahead because I'm sitting in my office laughing at you. A Law Degree,Clients, Law Firm, and Wife & Kids are enough , but I'm also a person who believes in regifting so here YA go; murry cri-muh, yo., it may come in handy for folks like you. Fromsc2tx do you REALLY want to play the steryotype game with me?

dalaparidise: Yes, both grammer and spelling are required in Law School, if I didn't have it I would'nt have received my Masters of Law degree from the University of Pennsylvaina.

Jeebus: It's ok for you to disagree with me , this forum would be very bland if we all agreed. I'm confused on where we both stand, I don't recall us having a conversation.

PapillionWyngs: "Half their old population" what?

Merry Christams! That's right, after reading some of the most rudest and ignorant comments on this forum today, I have yet to develope a "Nasty Bone" in my body. I'm used to getting shots and stones thrown at me, and I'm not afraid of throwing them back, but I only do to people who are worth the stress. Good Day!

I was disagreeing with your contention that you're not lazy. I did so because you were too lazy to check your spelling & grammar before you hit the "Add Reply" button.

Papillion Wyngs was answering the question in the title of the thread: "What does Houston got that N.O. doesn't?"

Answer: Half of their old population.

Well, I was pretty damn frustrated when I began typing that post...wasn't paying attention to grammer and/or spelling.

fromsc2tx: You are welcomed to go along with any steryotype about me and/or the people that live in this state, go right ahead because I'm office sitting in my laughing at you. A Law Degree,Clients, Law Firm, and Wife & Kids are enough , but I'm also a person who believes in regifting so here YA go; murry cri-muh, yo., it may come in handy for folks like you. Fromsc2tx do you REALLY want to play the steryotype game with me?

dalaparidise: Yes, both grammer and spelling are required in Law School, if I didn't have it I would'nt have received my Masters of Law degree from the University of Pennsylvaina.

Jeebus: It's ok for you to disagree with me , this forum would be very bland if we all agreed. I'm confused on where we both stand, I don't recall us having a conversation.

PapillionWyngs: "Half their old population" what?

Merry Christams! That's right, after reading some of the most rudest and ignorant comments on this forum today, I have yet to develope a "Nasty Bone" in my body. I'm used to getting shots and stones thrown at me, and I'm not afraid of throwing them back, but I only do to people who are worth the stress. Good Day!

I find your ability to argue your position and effectively state your point hampered by your poor grammar and spelling skills. In most places, that would be a liability for an attorney. Apparently, it

You are welcomed to go along with any steryotype about me and/or the people that live in this state, go right ahead because I'm office sitting in my laughing at you. A Law Degree,Clients, Law Firm, and Wife & Kids are enough ,

LOL!!! That's just awesome!!

I find your ability to argue your position and effectively state your point hampered by your poor grammar and spelling skills. In most places, that would be a liability for an attorney. Apparently, it's not a problem in New Orleans. So, who's perpetuating a stereotype?

[/quote

First and foremost, this was never an argument for me, I was just stating my point. I came on this forum to discuss the problems that the residents of NewOrleans are facing, I didn't come on here to be rediculed and bewildered (although I can take the heat). As I stated before and I will not state it again, I wasn't paying much attention to my grammer and spelling when I began to type my response....I grew frustrated after reading those responses. Apparently, comprehension is a problem in Houston. The same OLD yahoo from people who absolutely don't know anything about the residents of NewOrleans , besides what the media and some idiots portary, is beginning to exacerbate the life out of me. Dalparadise, believe me spelling and grammer is not a problem for me when I'm sending MEMOS to my employees, Clients, and Judges.

Jeebus: I'm still trying to figure out have you and I met before? I ask this question because anyone who knows me , know that I'm very far from being lazy...if I were lazy , I wouldn't have accomplished so much in life. So your statement about me being lazy loses it's credibility.I believe fromsc2tx was trying to say that the residents of NewOrleans are lazy in a sense that we are all trying to depend on the Government to give us handouts, which happens to be a bald-face lie.

Archived