Favorite "Local" Establishments

mrfootball

I always like to see local establishments take root and become successful. What are some of the more popular local establishments in your area?

One place I never thought would become successful is this little place over on Jones Rd. called Connie's Frozen Custard. First time I saw it, I said to myself "that place won't last till the end of the year"....several years later, they're packing them in with lines out the door. Great stuff, btw!

There's a place over on Cypress-Rosehill that has recently become my favorite place for fajitas (surpassing even Lupe Tortillas). It's called Alicia's. They pack them in every night.

Guest Marty
There's a place over on Cypress-Rosehill that has recently become my favorite place for fajitas (surpassing even Lupe Tortillas). It's called Alicia's. They pack them in every night.

Is Alicia's located somewhere between Huffmeister @ Grant RD?

Eva's - Mexican restaurant on Kuykendahl Rd just north of FM 1960, has been there for 5 or 6 years I think; very good & very cheap

HB Japanese Steakhouse - Japanese hibachi grill on 1960 near Stuebner Airline (they also have another location in Humble also on 1960); we've been eating there for over a decade, service has gone way downhill recently to the point that we hardly ever go but the food's still pretty good

Via Emilia - Italian restaurant on 1960 at Falling Creek; owned by very nice Italian-American family; classic Italian bistro, candles on the table at dinner and a live pianist

Campioni - another nice Italian place on 1960 in the Champions Village shopping center

Hasta La Pasta - Italian restaurant at Cypresswood and Stuebner Airline; just opened fairly recently but they're always crowded and the food is great; I'm hoping they'll last

Sitar - Indian restaurant on I-45 South just past Rayford-Sawdust

Great place for Hunan in Cypress is Hunan River Bistro. It's located just outside of Longwood near Louetta & Grant. I lived in Midtown for 5 or 6 years and we had some superb Chinese food, but I'd put Hunan River Bistro right up there with Huang's. Great stuff. Quality.

PO's Hamburgers a legendary grease burger dive. They've got just about any burger you could want: buffalo, ostrich, turkey, etc. I like the Buffalo burger.

Wood Fired Pizza in Cypress. They've got no advertising. No delivery. Up until recently, no sign. How do they stay in business? Great pizza. Family owned/staffed. Quality ingredients. Nice oven.

El Real Mexican Restaurant on FM 1960 @ Walters in the Olde Oaks shopping center. Good food and the Real Margarita is dy-no-mite!! The fajita buffet for lunch is awesome.

I see that place all the time driving to the gym ... I think I see a sign in their window that says something like free salsa lessons (one night of the week)?

County Line is actually a chain, there are two locations in Austin that are wildly popular(don't know if they started here or there). I agree they are great and the white loaf bread is phenomenal.

I can't beleive no one has mentioned Carl's BBQ on the 290 N bound feeder rd. just before Telge. That place is excellent and very reasonably priced. I don't know if it is a chain or not, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

My wife and I also really enjoy Alicia's. I think the fajita's are just as good as Lupe, but Lupe has a little better atmosphere which could change with Alicia's planned expansion I heard about here!

Also gotta agree about PO's, and the new dance-hall/live music venu/Ice-house they built behind it is a good time. I would also note that a good friendly neighborhood bar is Pickles on Kluge rd before Huffmeister. It is a total dive with tons of charm and an indoor washer pit.

Is Pickles that tin shack in the woods on Kluge? I always wondered about that place. Have to stop in there sometime.

Marty, if you go to Alicia's go for lunch or go before 6pm, it gets really crowded as they've outgrown their space. I highly recommend the Fajitas (especially the beef fajitas). Parrilla Mixta (Beef, Chicken and 2 butterfly shrimp fajita dinner) is very popular. Quality mexican food, good prices. Cnote's right about the atmosphere, hopefully they'll put in a playground for the kids when they build their new pad site location.

Pickles is very much a tin shack in the woods next to a trailer park/RV storage area. They serve their beer out of fishing coolers and the bar looks like it was built by fraternity pledges. But they have shuffle board, a pool room, washers, an upstairs area where a band sets up occasionaly (but this area has the atmoshphere of a country church rec center), and a patio if you are brave enough to stand on it (looks like it might fall in and you really have to watch your head going out there). But the people are very friendly and it is a great low key place to hang out.

Guest Marty
Is Pickles that tin shack in the woods on Kluge? I always wondered about that place. Have to stop in there sometime.

Marty, if you go to Alicia's go for lunch or go before 6pm, it gets really crowded as they've outgrown their space. I highly recommend the Fajitas (especially the beef fajitas). Parrilla Mixta (Beef, Chicken and 2 butterfly shrimp fajita dinner) is very popular. Quality mexican food, good prices. Cnote's right about the atmosphere, hopefully they'll put in a playground for the kids when they build their new pad site location.

It would definitely be lunchtime.

Thanks

I found a new establishment this weekend. It is a franchised cafe located in Cypress next to the Cinemark called Newk's. It started in my family's home town of Oxford, MS and is franchised in MS, TN, and AL. This is the only location in Texas. The food is excellent and included sandwhiches, salads, soups, desserts, and pizzas (kinda like a southern Cafe Express with more reasonable prices). They also serve beer and wine and the place has an excellent ambiance. I would recommend checking it out!

Guest Marty
I enjoy The Potatoe Patch on FM 1960,

Good eating, I went there for lunch today and it was pack to the gills. I had a Hamburger and fries.

Pallatta's Italian Grill on Jones and 1960. Their Spaghetti and Meatballs is better than both Campioni and Carraba's (tried all 3 in the same month). The ambiance is fantastic as well.

Barton Springs Grill, even though it's "Austin in Houston" has really good sausage and ribs. They are pricey though.

I am pleasantly surprised by all the mentions on this thread, and I look forward to trying some of these places soon. Being at 249 and Schroeder Rd now, I'm not too far from any of them.

MrFootball- I stopped at P.O.'s about 10 years ago when we'd go to my brother's soccer games. Do you remember what road it's on? Also, where is Wood Fired Pizza?

• 1 month later...

Archived