Porchman

admittedly, better looking than about 99% of the new apartments going up in houston. maybe we're seeing the beginning of the end of faux mediterranean?

One can only hope.

Knowing some of the hardcore Heights views of anything that doesn't fit their particular opinion of what belongs in the Heights, I've not commented recently on this building. However, I drive by it twice daily, and I think it fits in rather well. And, as I've commented previously, it will provide about 500 new customers within walking distance of the 19th and 20th Street shopping district, helping to keep them in business. I think commercial areas are great locations for apartments, as opposed to say, the middle of a residential street. I hope the finished product does well.

admittedly, better looking than about 99% of the new apartments going up in houston. maybe we're seeing the beginning of the end of faux mediterranean?

Not necessarily. This same company has built plenty of those. They chose to go with a more traditional/industrial edge here, and with stucco being the alternative, I'm glad. As I walked around the place yesterday, though, I also had a sense that it was going to look dated soon.

One can only hope.

Knowing some of the hardcore Heights views of anything that doesn't fit their particular opinion of what belongs in the Heights, I've not commented recently on this building. However, I drive by it twice daily, and I think it fits in rather well. And, as I've commented previously, it will provide about 500 new customers within walking distance of the 19th and 20th Street shopping district, helping to keep them in business. I think commercial areas are great locations for apartments, as opposed to say, the middle of a residential street. I hope the finished product does well.

Red, you and I have had this conversation - online at live. To recap, I agree that it's an improvement to Yale. Not so much an improvement to W22nd. I will say at least it's only 5 stories. However, think of 13 stories might do to the neighborhood adjacent to White Oak.

What will be interesting to see is what spawns from this. Little Kroger is puportedly doomed after the expansion of the Signature at W 11th. Weingarten is apparently talking 24Hour Fitness and major remodel to that strip on W 20th. And the critical question...What's going to happen to Dorsey's Beauty Academy?

The entrance to the upper level garage on W 22nd. (The entrance to the lower level garage is on W 21st

IMG_1664.jpg

:huh:

IMG_1668.jpg

On W 22nd

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

Maybe its not to overwhelm either street with constant traffic? Kinda splits it up and evens things out a bit. Anyone know what these apartments are goin for?

Maybe its not to overwhelm either street with constant traffic? Kinda splits it up and evens things out a bit.

The separate garage ramps, you mean? Yes, that's what Allied Realty indicated their intentions were.

Anyone know what these apartments are goin for?

When they presented this to area residents last year, they indicated average monthly rental would be arrond $1,500/mo.

What will be interesting to see is what spawns from this. Little Kroger is puportedly doomed after the expansion of the Signature at W 11th. Weingarten is apparently talking 24Hour Fitness and major remodel to that strip on W 20th. And the critical question...What's going to happen to Dorsey's Beauty Academy?

I really hope if that Kroger does shut down that some kind of grocery replaces it. That's my main store. I hate it, because it's really poorly managed, but it still gets my business because it's closest to home. It always seems busy, so I think there's enough business for the location, but I can understand Kroger not wanting to compete with itself. I'd not go regularly to the store on 11th, it's just too far. I'd be stuck with the Fiesta on Shepherd, which is OK, but I'd still rather have a store that I could walk to.

But yeah, that Dorsey's building is an eyesore. So, too, is the abandoned structure on the southwest corner of Yale and 20th.

• 10 months later...

So it's been done for a while, and when I run by it seems pretty full and active. Anyone know how full it is? Anyone live there?

My neighbor put her daughter up in there so she could be close to home, but far enough away that they dont have to run into each other on a regular basis. Anyways, she (the mom) reports that its VERY nice inside and her daughter is extremely happy in the location.

• The title was changed to 2125 Yale: Multifamily At 2125 Yale St.
  • 1 year later...