Deck cover permit?

Hi,

Looking at putting a cover over a patio/deck. Just wondering if any permits/inspections are required in Harris County to do this?

Can't find anything on the web and everytime I try to ring I get put through to someone who isn't there and doesn't return the call.

Anybody have any insight?

Cheers

I am not aware of a requirement for a permit for a deck cover. The City requires a permit for decks only if the base elevation is over 2 feet from the ground. This is understandable, given that a deck failure at a higher elevation could cause injury. Using that logic, a deck cover supports no human loads. However, it could fail and fall on someone. I could see the logic both for and against.

That said, I have never heard of anyone who got a permit for a deck cover, including me when I built one for my parents in the County.

Technically, yes you need a permit, but unless it can be seen from the street you probably won't get caught if you don't have one.

But I would recommend getting one, regardless. It's always a good idea, imho. We have public health and safety laws for a reason and it helps to partially reduce your liability in the future if there were to be a problem and someone got injured from your work. Pulling a permit for something like this would be easy to do and would probably just cost the $35 minimum and only need one single inspection at the end.

Edited by cottonmather0

We have public health and safety laws for a reason and it helps to partially reduce your liability in the future if there were to be a problem and someone got injured from your work.

with the number of inspectors (few) and the number of permits issued (many), an inspection doesn't really guarantee much. the inspectors are so busy they don't do a thorough inspection.

Hi,

Looking at putting a cover over a patio/deck. Just wondering if any permits/inspections are required in Harris County to do this?

Can't find anything on the web and everytime I try to ring I get put through to someone who isn't there and doesn't return the call.

Cheers

Last time I checked, 3 years ago, NOT in the County, but in the City limits of Houston or Sugarland, that may be a different story. But if you could knock it out within a day or two, say, on the weekend, I am sure nobody is gonna notice.

I am not aware of a requirement for a permit for a deck cover. The City requires a permit for decks only if the base elevation is over 2 feet from the ground. This is understandable, given that a deck failure at a higher elevation could cause injury. Using that logic, a deck cover supports no human loads. However, it could fail and fall on someone. I could see the logic both for and against.

That said, I have never heard of anyone who got a permit for a deck cover, including me when I built one for my parents in the County.

Here's red enjoying his backyard covered deck.

hardhat.jpg

Hi,

Cheers

I went to a meeting a few weeks ago and i just found some of the paperwork. it said permits aren't required for painting, carpet, tile, interior trim and similar finish work, wood or metal fences less than 8 ft tall, uncovered detached decks under 30 inches, paving behind the property line without roof, wood floor and cabinets. although cabinets are not required to be permitted, any replacement of plumbing fixtures or electrical fixtures will require permits.

Thanks for all the replies. Have my approval from the HOA pending, so hoepfully that one goes through ok.

I would prefer to build according to the code, which I understand is the International Residential Code from 2003 (the current one for the state of Texas). Is there any way to see this document with out spending the big $$$ to buy a copy? I assume my permit application will have to describe how it meets the code or do I just submitt a drawing of the structure and then during an inspection they will make sure it meets the code?

Thanks for all the replies. Have my approval from the HOA pending, so hoepfully that one goes through ok.

I would prefer to build according to the code, which I understand is the International Residential Code from 2003 (the current one for the state of Texas). Is there any way to see this document with out spending the big $$$ to buy a copy? I assume my permit application will have to describe how it meets the code or do I just submitt a drawing of the structure and then during an inspection they will make sure it meets the code?

Nope, it's up to you to know what the code is and you will need to provide details ("2x4 lumber, 3" nails, xyz hangers") in your application and drawings. Your permit will not say squat. The easiest way to find out what you'll need is to go down to the permits office early in the morning (or late in the day) and ask to speak to an inspector. They will be happy to talk to you and tell you what they'll look for during the inspection. You can also very easily find a copy of the relevant code sections pretty cheaply at Home Depot. You could just buy a cheap DIY book and copy the instructions and materials and then go talk to the inspector and get his comments whether your copied "plans" would be acceptable. If not, they'll tell you what to change and you'll be good to go.

I know this sounds pretty onerous, but it's not. Just a little legwork and preparation before you apply for the permit.