Archer's sporting goods?

slyk

My husband grew up there, and he doesn't remember an Archer's sporting goods (or any sporting goods store) in Remond Terrace or Culpepper Plaza. He does remember a Wyatt's sporting goods somewhere near the campus.

But he readily admits he might not remember correctly :)

I don't think it was around very long. Does anyone remember what was in the Academy location (when it was at Remond Terrace) before Academy? Maybe it was there. I remember a Gibson's being there but what was there in between?

Nativehou: there used to be a Burdett & Sons sporting goods at Redmond but it was mainly a hunting store. There was also a Wyatt's in Culpepper plaza where Ricks sporting goods is (or was).

Anyway... Thx

• 11 months later...
I don't think it was around very long. Does anyone remember what was in the Academy location (when it was at Remond Terrace) before Academy? Maybe it was there. I remember a Gibson's being there but what was there in between?

Nativehou: there used to be a Burdett & Sons sporting goods at Redmond but it was mainly a hunting store. There was also a Wyatt's in Culpepper plaza where Ricks sporting goods is (or was).

Anyway... Thx

No, Burdett & Son's was another tenant alongside Academy. Other tenants included Joe's Used Books, a furniture liquidators, Kolache Rolf's (I think they stuck around for a while), and Jason's Deli...they were more on the Charming Charlie side of the plaza (where CC is today) but they later moved to the other side of the building.

What about the Shell in the middle of the parking lot? Remember that?

Maybe....Was that in the day of when Brookshire Bros grocery store was in the RT center, before Piggly Wiggly took over?

Beyond that the only Shell station I remember clearly was at the corner about where Panda Express is at right now. The only business I remember clearly that was in the middle of the parking lot was Short Stop hamburger place

No, Burdett & Son's was another tenant alongside Academy. Other tenants included Joe's Used Books, a furniture liquidators, Kolache Rolf's (I think they stuck around for a while), and Jason's Deli...they were more on the Charming Charlie side of the plaza (where CC is today) but they later moved to the other side of the building.

What about the Shell in the middle of the parking lot? Remember that?

I went to Redmond Terrace tons as a child in the 80's, here is what I remember being there:

Loupot's, Academy, Engineering & Office Supply(EOS), RT Barber Shop(I think the barber shop and EOS shared a weird entry hallway that ran along the front of a few of the stores), Stacy's Furniture, Brown's Shoe Fit, C.S. Post Office

Later I remember Jason's Deli and Copy Corner moving in where the P.O. and Brown's had been.

(I think I have typed the above before on HAIF, or else have deja vu.)

There was an Ardan's(?) where (Rolling Thunder?) skating, Gattiland and now a gymnastics place were/are on Briarcrest. I remember it being a Service Merchandise type place, and it may have been part sporting goods? I was very young when it was open.

Yea you're right it was an Arden's. I think they did have some sporting goods but I don't remember how much. There was even a Wilson's, another Service Merchandise type place over in the old Skaggs center on University.

• 2 weeks later...

Scotch: I believe it was Rolling Thunder before Gattiland on Briarcrest.

slyk: Wilson's was actually bought by Service Merchandise in the late 1980s or early 1990s. The Service Merchandise at Post Oak Mall was an old Wilson's. Where was the Skaggs center?

Does anyone remember Acrofit Gymnastics was on Harvey Mitchell? I believe it was where Action Press is now. That place was really funky, and I'm curious as to how they divided it. It had a second story, a sunken pit over which they placed a trampoline and exposed HVAC. You could look up and see the air vent turbine.

Archived