King Fish Market On Richmond Ave.

H-Town

Bummer, I never did make it over to there, either!

I remember once when King Fish Market was sponsoring the Houston Restaurant Radio Show on KSEV (I think!) and the owner/manager said that they first person to call in and correctly give the restaurant's slogan would win lunch for two. Some bonehead called in and asked if the slogan was "Sell it or Smell it"? The moderator for the call-in show just broke up and the owner/manager just got mad. I was laughing so hard I never did pay attention to what the correct answer was. Anybody out there know it?

Bummer, I never did make it over to there, either!

I remember once when King Fish Market was sponsoring the Houston Restaurant Radio Show on KSEV (I think!) and the owner/manager said that they first person to call in and correctly give the restaurant's slogan would win lunch for two. Some bonehead called in and asked if the slogan was "Sell it or Smell it"? The moderator for the call-in show just broke up and the owner/manager just got mad. I was laughing so hard I never did pay attention to what the correct answer was. Anybody out there know it?

I used to eat there all the time...it was worlds better (ambiance-wise) than the I-10 location and had outdoor seating. I didn't even know it closed until I tried to go there yesterday...anybody know what happened?

That's sad. I really liked that place too.

Seems like the restaurants and clubs on Richmond have been on the decline for several years now. When I moved to Houston in 2000 that area was still pretty popular, but since then most of the night clubs have closed or changed formats (some several times before finally closing) and a number of restaurants have closed. The Chuy's next door to King Fish closed a year-18 months ago, and Copeland's across the street from there closed a couple of years before that. The last few times I ate at King Fish Market on Richmond it seemed it was not very crowded -- I remember when there was always a long wait to get a table there. Even still, the food and service was still quite good.

something weird is going on around that portion of the richmond strip. the "classic" dennys closed (used to be jo-jo's) and it was crowded around the clock. i moved to the galleria area in '95 and got used to seeing the club signs change names frequently, but that's just business as usual in houston. but chuy's, kingfish and denny's all seemed to be doing ok so it's a mystery.

debmartin

I was very sad when they demolished that Manchurian Wok further out west. As my friends get older no one seems to frequent any of the old haunts like Sam's Boat or what was that place called... Polyesters (gone I think). Richmond Arms is the only place I can think of driving out that way for recently. Oh yeah I liked that brew-pub that closed down years back aswell (still there -- empty). Don't even get me started on Chuy's. I dont know how their dinner crowd was but there was always a line for lunch. Where's my Elvis fried Chicken??

I was very sad when they demolished that Manchurian Wok further out west. As my friends get older no one seems to frequent any of the old haunts like Sam's Boat or what was that place called... Polyesters (gone I think). Richmond Arms is the only place I can think of driving out that way for recently. Oh yeah I liked that brew-pub that closed down years back aswell (still there -- empty). Don't even get me started on Chuy's. I dont know how their dinner crowd was but there was always a line for lunch. Where's my Elvis fried Chicken??

I was out in that part of town this afternoon -- I was bored so I drove out there to check out my old neighborhood -- and the section of Richmond between Hillcroft and Chimney Rock is really starting to look bad. There are a lot of empty buildings where restaurants and clubs once were, and it seems like there are a few more adult oriented businesses. About the only restaurants that have been there for a while that are still open are Pappasito's and Joe's Crab Shack.

At least Chuy's is still there on Westheimer. I too was surprised when they closed, although I don't think their dinner crowd was all that great. It certainly never was as busy as the other location in the evenings. And Polyesther's is gone -- it closed about a year ago. It looks like Surf Shack, which is where Polyesther's was, may have closed as well. They were putting up some fencing around the parking lot this afternoon. The building that was once Billy Blue's and then Cabo is still empty. And City Streets has closed and the space in that shopping center where they once were is under construction. At least the rest of that center seems to be doing pretty well.

I think that part of town has just lost its appeal as a place to go at night on weekends. Downtown seems to have replaced it as the place to be, and last year there were several shootings outside some of the clubs and adult businesses on Richmond, which can't have helped the situation.

Yeah, when I think of Richmond now I think of India's Restaurant, Ruth Chris and Richmond Arms. Thats about it. I'm sure it will come back eventually.

I was looking at a nice house on har.com the other night and when I hit the map function and saw it was probably 2 or 3 houses from Richmond, I just deleted it. I would never live close to the local 'drag'.

ps. I do like that DoDo's chicken place. Columbian style chicken. Good and cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
I talked to the folks at Chuy's, apparently they had a choice: to either re-do the Richmond store or expand north to the Woodlands.  The Woodlands won out.

Doesn't surprise me at all. As I and others have said, that section of Richmond has really gone downhill in the last five years. The Woodlands would definitely be a better bet for them. Anyway I've moved closer to the other Chuy's on Westheimer which I always preferred (except for the parking).

• The title was changed to King Fish Market On Richmond Ave.