Historic Houston Airports

editor

Does anyone here know if there was a downtown heliport in Houston? And if so, where and pics?

I've never heard of a heliport in downtown Houston. Tillman Fertitta wanted to have one on the roof of the old fire station #1 he bought and turned into that big aquarium/restaurant, but Houston City Council wouldn't allow it.

They said it would be too dangerous to have helicopters coming and going from a heli-pad just a few feet from a busy freeway. One of the few examples of common sense I've seen from the Houston City Council.

When I worked in Greenway Plaza back in 1980 there was a model of the complex in the 'Underground' which depicted a multi story parking garage to be built across 59 which would accomodate propeller driven aircraft. Another case of common sense not allowing something to be constructed I guess?

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Airports
  • 1 year later...

I wonder which South Main, or South Houston, airport this was? I guess the key would be the date. This was taken in 1911. Could this have been actually located in the City of South Houston? I do believe the City of South Houston was involved very early with aircraft.

Image captured: A man sits in the pilot seat of a Curtiss Modified airplane outside a building at the South Houston Airport. 1911.

ZdC3Pdf.jpg