Hospital And Basketball Arena

chrisngrod

I'm new but have been reading a few threads from this forum mainly on Central Bank and some other old buildings. I have even gotten my wife interested in some of the historic buildings. I'm born and raised in Houston but went to Austin for a brief moment and spent the rest of the time in the Army.

I've tried to search for my answers on my own but have only come up with the Jeff Davis hospital for abandoned hospitals in Houston. For some reason in my childhood I remember passing a long hospital building (white and only 4-5 floors) somewhere in Houston. Perhaps it was on the west side (Bellaire street maybe?). Could have just been another building. Seemed I recall it being away from the main street quite a bit.

Another building is a basketball arena. By the time my mom took me there the seats were already old. It was built up and not like something you'd find in a highschool. Perhaps something a college would have. There were a bunch of different merchants selling stuff there I think.

I'm limited on how long I can be on the Internet cause I'm in Iraq or I'd double check this post. Sorry quite rushed.

I'm 24. These buildings I had to be before I could drive on my own. The basketball arena had stadium type seating. Not as big as the former Compaq center or anything like that.

The two buildings are completely unrelated. I want to say perhaps the hospital was an old Army hospital or Red Cross? Just seemed like a really long single building. Perhaps I had dreams and I'm completely making that one up? I dunno. A lot of things in my childhood seemed to be bigger in my memory like our old back yard. Guess everything is big when you're a kid!

Thanks...

There used to be a hospital on Bellaire @ like Wicrest that was abandoned years ago, and could probably fit into your timeframe. It became a huge crackden, and a couple of murders took place in there also, it was finally destroyed. There was a Rosewood Medical center on Westheimer years ago. it was 4 stories.

As far as an arena you may be thinking of The Arena theater, but I don't think any basketball took place in there. Perhaps you were at Hoffheinz Pavillion, or Rice University basketball gym?

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I think those basketball arenas were never in this bad of condition. I sure hope not at least. It must have been around 15 years ago. It was hosting a bunch of merchants selling random stuff like a flea market would. The flooring inside was wood and it did have basketball goals.

Out of time on comp again, but I'm researching the hospitals you guys have listed.

I'm going to send my mom an e-mail on that one.

When I was trying to look up photos on the hospital on Wilcrest and Bellaire I came up with nothing. Going to look into the other medical center mentioned. The land wasn't very developed in front of it. Left a good view from the main road. Field was sprouting some pretty tall weeds, grass and whatnot when I saw it.

Wilcrest and Bellaire... is that the area of Bellaire highly populated by Asian businesses? At that corner is that the big Asian shopping center?

Edited by chrisngrod

My mom replied with "There're two places that I have in mind. One is huge indoor building on loop 610 East and I can't remember the name either. The other is Trader Village that's a outdoor place on North Eldrige & 290. ".

I'm not really familiar with either. That's for the basketball arena.

• The title was changed to Hospital And Basketball Arena?
  • The title was changed to Hospital And Basketball Arena