An open letter to HAIF members

editor

The old forum was better, but not that much better. In fact, I seem to remember you making a valiant effort to try to quell some of the crud that you identify with the new forum, and then becoming frustrated.

It was a lot better. I remember, as the place was spiralling downward, taking a long break and leaving for about a month. Then, I missed it and came back, only to find it had been hacked and was offline.

Since the new site became active, my posts are 1/3 what they used to be and of those, 1/3 are probably worth reading. It's just a silly diversion now.

The difference is, if this site were hacked, I wouldn't miss it a bit.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The old forum was better, but not that much better. In fact, I seem to remember you making a valiant effort to try to quell some of the crud that you identify with the new forum, and then becoming frustrated.

When this place had 30 members it was basically a collegial discussion of serious architecture issues, and usually lamentation that Houston is not more urban. Then it became bigger and less civil. Then it crashed, was reborn, and became even bigger and less civil. But there are many valuable conversations on here now (especially on history and neighborhood issues) that were not around when it was just a meeting ground of architecture buffs.

I think that most of the ugliness on this forum comes from about 5 or 6 members. They make rude, unprovoked comments, and most people just leave the discussion rather than getting into a long, messy battle with them. The problem is that they post so often that it is hard to find a conversation where they do not make their appearance. Newer posters have followed their example, and the character of this place has slowly changed.

I hope I am not one of those members, but it sounded so much better back then. I seriously think a word limit and a member requirement of 15 or 16 should be in place.

I would miss HAIF if it were hacked again. I hope it isn't hacked. Many good discussions going on here. My only complaint on HAIF (besides some rude members) is the layout can get a bit confusing. Sometimes suburban developments are in two places, Going Up and one of the suburban forums. I think it would be easier if HAIF had a suburban development subforum within Going Up. That is just one example.

My fantasy HAIF layout:

General Houston:

-Going Up!

--Going Up: Suburbs!

-Houston Photos

-Skyscrapers

--Architects + Designs

--Crater Houston Alliance

-Houston Sports

-Holy Places

-A History: Houston

-Houston Mod

-Community Announcements

Houston Issues:

-Traffic and Transportation

--Guided Transit

-Houston Real Estate + Home Building and Repair

--Home Building and Repair

-City Hall

-Houston and the Environment

-Houston and the Media

-International Houston

Houston Neighborhoods:

Stays the same...

Houston Metro:

Stays the same...

Outside Houston:

Stays the same, but get rid of New Orleans

Other Discussions:

-Other Houston

--Houston Area Help Wanted/Job Wanted

--Houston Dining, Entertainment, and Shopping

--Classified Ads

-The Weather

-Off Topic

--Sports

--Computers, Technology, and the Internet

-Way Off Topic

-Houston Architecture.Info

Two dashes means a subforum goes in place.

I'm not hatin...just not a lot of activity in that section.

By the time I'm 21, NO will be full of corporate people so I doubt it'll be the same.

Nah, The Quarter is still The Quarter. Don't worry about any "suits" being down there. You need to experience the REAL Mardi Gras, when you get legal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived