Strict time limits on newscasts

Question about the news biz or tv in general. I was watching WB 39 tonight and it was very near the end of their newscast and their sports reporter was discussing the Astros. He was going to talk about Craig Biggio's 3,000th hit when he just stopped and mentioned time ran out. The newscast ended right away.

Why not just finish the story. It probably would've lasted no more than 5 minutes. The next show on is taped anyway not live, so why worry about it. I assume the local stations are in control of their broadcast right? So it is not likely that the WB national station itself would cut off the newscast right? What is the big deal? A few minutes wouldn't hurt especially when it is like late at night already and commercials would've been played anyway.

My other general question is how much control does the local station have? For example, i remember watching college basketball this past season when CBS was showing Georgetown vs Duke. I wanted to see a local area team(Texas vs Texas A&M ?) , but it was never shown. I thought the local stations would just change it to the Texas game. It was not like the Texas game was on another network. It was on the same network(different commentators), so why did KHOU not just change it to that game? Is it because they can't since CBS did not provide them the Texas vs. Texas A&M feed or something? Just trying to understand how this TV biz works.

Edited by donnieyen

My other general question is how much control does the local station have? For example, i remember watching college basketball this past season when CBS was showing Georgetown vs Duke. I wanted to see a local area team(Texas vs Texas A&M ?) , but it was never shown. I thought the local stations would just change it to the Texas game. It was not like the Texas game was on another network. It was on the same network(different commentators), so why did KHOU not just change it to that game?

Network affiliate stations are obliged by contractual commitments to carry network games in full, start to finish. Not just the game itself, but the entire network package, which includes a post-game show with interviews and other BS.

Under typical conditions during football season, the local station is free to go to a game of its choice only when network show finally closes out and credits roll. That's why we often join that other game in progress.

But I assume you're talking about the NCAA Basketball Tournament, which is not a typical time of year. The net carries different sets of games simultaneously in different regions of the country. The SW region was getting one package, other areas were getting other games.

If it's any comfort, the network does try its best to package up the games so stations in a particular region can get games with schools in that region. But in the NCAA's, the early rounds have teams traveling all over the country, and it just isn't possible to keep the broadcast packages nice and tidy for a particular region.

I agree with you, but that's generally how it's done in TV.

Edited by FilioScotia