15 year old interested in persuing a career in Architecture.

loveformetal1

Hi everybody, I decided recently I would like to persue a career in Architecture, I'm really fascinated by extreme architecture and watch a great deal of it on television to me architectur is the greates form of art on this planet and is so mindblowing at times, anyways I was hoping some of you established architects could provide me with some valuble information on what I should do to prepare myself (High school classes, JC classes I should take in advance to entering college as a full time student)

I'll be entering my 3rd year of high school at the end of this summer and am taking my 2nd drafting class(This time an advanced class)

I really appreciate it :)

Hi everybody, I decided recently I would like to persue a career in Architecture, I'm really fascinated by extreme architecture and watch a great deal of it on television to me architectur is the greates form of art on this planet and is so mindblowing at times, anyways I was hoping some of you established architects could provide me with some valuble information on what I should do to prepare myself (High school classes, JC classes I should take in advance to entering college as a full time student)

I'll be entering my 3rd year of high school at the end of this summer and am taking my 2nd drafting class(This time an advanced class)

15 yrs old?!? well ur off to a good start by asking questions and getting prepared.

for high school classes def. take autocad courses. having 3D skills is also good like 3d stuido max along with some photoshop skills. quite a few people i know do awesome rendering and make a decent living on that alone.

where do you plan to attend college. some colleges are different than others. i graduated from u of h college of arch. and u of h is more design oriented. if you go there i would recommend you take courses on details. example, door details, foundation details, curtain wall details, etc.

when you come out of college the chances of you being able to design right away will be slim. more than likely you'll start off doing red lines to help issue construcion documents. i can go into more detail but that would make this post a novel, lol.

if you have any questions on any specific aspect of going into the arch field feel free to shoot me a pm, i'll be more than glad to help.

Thanks you 2, I actually have photoshop on my computer but I'm to lame to figure it out :P, I do draw 3d buildings from time to time, thats always fun.

As far as the college question goes, I dont really excel in school so I'll probably be going to Santa Rosa Junior college then transfer (SRJC is supposed to be one of the best JC's in country) but I don't have that much knowledge on this subject so school choice will probably change

I can go into more detail but that would make this post a novel, lol.

if you have any questions on any specific aspect of going into the arch field feel free to shoot me a pm, i'll be more than glad to help.

I appreciate the help, I dont want to bother you but feel free to go into as many details as you'd like thats what I'm here for notworthy.gif

Thanks you 2, I actually have photoshop on my computer but I'm to lame to figure it out :P , I do draw 3d buildings from time to time, thats always fun.

As far as the college question goes, I dont really excel in school so I'll probably be going to Santa Rosa Junior college then transfer (SRJC is supposed to be one of the best JC's in country) but I don't have that much knowledge on this subject so school choice will probably change

I appreciate the help, I dont want to bother you but feel free to go into as many details as you'd like thats what I'm here for notworthy.gif

yeah ur school choices for attaining a bach. in arch will def. have to change. u can take ur core classes like engl, hist, etc at a community college, but there are certain amount of hrs that will transfer. but for the hardcore arch classes u need to go to one of the bigger colleges.

if u plan to go to a college in texas i would recommend u of h, of course ;), ut, rice. these schools are accredited. texas a&m is not an acredited school, which sucks for those aggies cuz they have more obstacles to go over in order to become registered. if you attend an accredited school then when u graduate u just have to do your IDP (internship) and take the A.R.E.

going into arch is not easy. ur first year will, if u go to u of h, will be tough w/ a lot of sleepless night. freshman yr in the arch program is what they call the "weed out" year where only the tough and dedicated survive. but if u have the love for it you'll be fine. feel free to ask any other questions :)

yeah ur school choices for attaining a bach. in arch will def. have to change. u can take ur core classes like engl, hist, etc at a community college, but there are certain amount of hrs that will transfer. but for the hardcore arch classes u need to go to one of the bigger colleges.

if u plan to go to a college in texas i would recommend u of h, of course ;), ut, rice. these schools are accredited. texas a&m is not an acredited school, which sucks for those aggies cuz they have more obstacles to go over in order to become registered. if you attend an accredited school then when u graduate u just have to do your IDP (internship) and take the A.R.E.

going into arch is not easy. ur first year will, if u go to u of h, will be tough w/ a lot of sleepless night. freshman yr in the arch program is what they call the "weed out" year where only the tough and dedicated survive. but if u have the love for it you'll be fine. feel free to ask any other questions :)

Hmm Sleepless nights sounds :wacko: I really like it so hopefully it will be good, I'm actually in California, I know this is a texas board but its the only Arch forum I found, I'll dig deeper next year (talk to my counselor and such)

Thanks again man.

1st welcome to the Forum, 2nd you will get used to sleepless nights since your going into Jr. Year. I just came out of 11th grade and those AP classes seem to have gotten a lot harder in my Jr. Year, had me up all night and the on level ones too. I want to double major in Architecture and History and minor in Architectural History. Thats a lot but its what I want to do and only a handful of schools have a Architectural History program and Texas happens to be one, hope I get in! I took all my credits that I need to Graduate and core class my 1st two years and then took my electives in my Jr. & Sr years. This year I took engineering grapics and next year I am going to take Architectural Graphics. You dont live in Houston but I am sure collages Have diffrent programs you can attend during summer. I went to one last year at UofH it cost lot but it really helped. They took us to diffrent museum in Houston and around Texas diffrent architectural firms it was really fun. Just look around at the collages web sites and see if they have summer programs thats how I found Houstons Program.

I'm not an architect (although my son is) , but I do live in California and know something about the public universities in the State. There are 2 universities in the California State University System-- both accredited-- that offer Bachelors degrees in architecture-- Cal Poly Pomona (School of Environmental Design) and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (College of Architecture and Environmental Design). Both the Pomona and San Luis Obispo architecture programs are highly rated and selective. Many of the California Community Colleges have transfer agreements with the Cal State University System. You can contact the universities to find out about the transfer agreements they have with specific community colleges, which courses transfer, and approximately how many transfer students are accepted into the architecture programs.

they are having some architecture camp for kids at UH right now. i saw a story on it this week.

interesting, i dont think i was ever aware of that camp.

I went to one last year at UofH it cost lot but it really helped. They took us to diffrent museum in Houston and around Texas diffrent architectural firms it was really fun. Just look around at the collages web sites and see if they have summer programs thats how I found Houstons Program.

do you mind me asking which firms you went to? when you graduate do you plan to work for an arch. firm? the firm i'm at hires college kids to give them experience. we have a girl from A&M here who is 20, i'd recommend doing that as it gives students a great deal of experience and what to expect upon graduating.

I also want to become an architect. I'm taking Architectural Graphics next year also in my junior year.

interesting, i dont think i was ever aware of that camp.

do you mind me asking which firms you went to? when you graduate do you plan to work for an arch. firm? the firm i'm at hires college kids to give them experience. we have a girl from A&M here who is 20, i'd recommend doing that as it gives students a great deal of experience and what to expect upon graduating.

They took us to Jackson & Ryan Architects. It was real nice they gave us a nice powerpoint and the people were very kind. They also took us to a firm that had their Houston office at Pennzoil Place I cant remember their name. What firm do you work for?