Garmin Commercials

Anyone see the Garmin Commerical with a view of the green skyscraper downtown? It has Yao Ming on a bill board some guys are lost, Yao reaches out and hands the lost travelers a NUVI the GPS speaks and says "Turn Right on LOVERS LANE" WTH THAT'S IN DALLAS! You can clearly see the double tree before it ends!

Anyone see the Garmin Commerical with a view of the green skyscraper downtown? It has Yao Ming on a bill board some guys are lost, Yao reaches out and hands the lost travelers a NUVI the GPS speaks and says "Turn Right on LOVERS LANE" WTH THAT'S IN DALLAS! You can clearly see the double tree before it ends!

It's also in north Houston, intersecting De Priest and in the vicinity of W. Montgomery, W. Little York, and N. Shepherd.

It's also in north Houston, intersecting De Priest and in the vicinity of W. Montgomery, W. Little York, and N. Shepherd.

Looks like the Sabine St. bridge, between Allen Parkway and Memorial to me, though they've clearly done some computer editing of the skyline.

Edited by dalparadise

Very cool. I've seen that commercial before, but never noticed the city in the background. There's a Garmin Store about two blocks from me, and I was in there the other day. The stuff is VERY expensive, IMHO. I think the cheapest GPS I saw was $400. I'll stick to my home-built satnav for now (cobbled together from a U.S. Robotics Palm 1000 and a GPS antenna salvaged from an old Honda van).

There's a Garmin Store about two blocks from me, and I was in there the other day. The stuff is VERY expensive, IMHO. I think the cheapest GPS I saw was $400.

Yeah, Garmin's stuff is not cheap, but their equipment works really well. I have a Garmin GPS I got for Christmas last year, and have been very pleased. Not only is it super easy to use, but I've found it to be more accurate than many of the online mapping engines (especially Mapquest) and it's pre-loaded with tons of restaurants, hotels, schools (great for me since I work with different college campuses), tourist attractions, airports, and other points of interest. My only complaint is that it's sometimes a little slow to initially connect to the GPS satellite. However, once the initial connection is made, it works great. And the system is fairly compact and light, which makes it easy to travel with.

I'm not sure if it was the same commercial, but when I was back in Canada a few weeks ago, I noticed some sort of car commercial which was definitely filmed in Houston. You could see the skyline similar to this shot, and it was clearly Houston because of the Heritage Plaza building. It was kinda cool because I got to tell my whole family that it was Houston (none of them know Houston very well).