New Homes On Jean St.

Hey Everyone,

My neighbor told me the other day that the mailman told her that some new townhomes were going up on the othe side of the railroad from Broadmoor on Jean Street. Drove past there this afternoon and they are not townhomes, they are full brick beautiful 2000+sqft homes priced around $188,000.

Shocked the heck out of me as that little cluster of homes is quite frankly a dump but there are now 5 new homes sitting there side by side. I didn't have a camera on me but if one of you call are nearby please take a few pictures to share. I met someone there an asian guy, quite frankly most of the guys there were asian, and the homes are built by HomePro and a Dominic Vu. Has anyone ever heard of this outfit? Are they any good? Quite frankly the homes looked really really good, granted I would have upgraded flooring in some areas but they looked very good.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

Guest danax

Any idea if homes were torn down for these? I've noticed that independent builders are building similar homes in my area on the few vacant lots. The ones near me have sold for $150K or so but are more like 1500-1800 sq ft. Brick and hardy with carpet and ceramic tile flooring. There are 2 new ones a few blocks from me, back to back on a replatted lot, with side yards but the back yards are microscopic, with only maybe 5 ft from the rear of the house to the fence, with the house behind it the same way. How large are the yards on the Jean St. homes?

I think this mini-trend is a precursor to production townhome construction. The area is still to unknown to younger professional types. I'm guessing these builders 1) are building for the hispanic family market who are not shopping for townhomes and 2) aren't too knowledgeable about townhomes and their potential buyers. We did have one sad attempt by a small-time builder at townhome construction nearby and 1 of the 2 is still for sale (6411 Kernel) after at least 3 years, and the price is now $119K. Just ugly, cheap design. They were obviously clueless as to what a townhome buyer would want.

I believe these homes were built on an empty piece of land that backs upto a warehouse type building. Back yards are quite large. These are the real deal homes and the quality looked quite good although some of the selections were not quite to my taste but never the less very well done. This little subdivision is really only four streets and I drove the first three streets first looking for the "townhomes", I saw one new home and one remodel a few feet from the Luby's and then went around to Jean street and there they were.

1906 Jean is 2257sqft on a 6,000sqft lot, 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car, pending at $179,000. All had granite in the kitchens and baths, wrought iron spindles in the stairs going up, etc... Nice touches.

I wish this builder would come into Broadmoor and build on those three lots on Lawson.

Scharpe St Guy

Guest danax

6309s15.jpg

1906 Jean. The Craftsman style touches appear to be an attempt at vague harmony with the area but it could just be an accident. I wonder if this was the first house he built on the block, or the last one, since the others resemble more modern designs.

4klwbw2.jpg

I like this little triangular nabe and it's combo of semi-privacy and freeway proximity.

Danax,

Thank you for obtaining a few pictures of the homes. This little neighborhood could be a little sweet spot because of this new development of 5 homes. I never thought much of this little area since it was so dumpy however now I'm not so sure.

Scharpe St Guy

Danax,

Thank you for obtaining a few pictures of the homes. This little neighborhood could be a little sweet spot because of this new development of 5 homes. I never thought much of this little area since it was so dumpy however now I'm not so sure.

Scharpe St Guy

That nabe was what we discussed in the Schulberger thread. Was quite ritzy about 35-40 years ago. Old hangout.

On a positive note, lets hope that this development is the turning point for this area.

Edited by Vertigo58

This area floods too big time. Just being a realist guys, sorry.

According to TSARP, the area around Jean Street does not flood frequently. It isn't even in the 500-year floodplain. Also, most of the area around Knobloch, Lidstone, Cumberland and Auburndale streets does not flood, just that which is close to the bayou.

Edited by TheNiche

According to TSARP, the area around Jean Street does not flood frequently. It isn't even in the 500-year floodplain. Also, most of the area around Knobloch, Lidstone, Cumberland and Auburndale streets does not flood, just that which is close to the bayou.

Unreal. :rolleyes:

Peace on Earth! :)

Edited by Vertigo58

All of that quadrant directly behind Luby's was bound to become "choice" location for anyone. Fast and easy access to 45. Its neat because the streets are triangle and curved in nature. It has always been more quite than any of the surrounding nabes. I always said one day someone is going to build high rise townhomes or condos there. This is the area I was trying to mention that would be prime for U of H students/faculty too.

The developer will more than likely continue buying up the remaining older homes and complete the block. They should go 3-4 story so they can be seen from 45. Visibility is what catches the eye and interests of passerby's. :P

• The title was changed to New Homes On Jean St.