Metro's Latest press release....

ricco67

Couldn't find a relevant current post, but according to this press release they seem to be improving substantially as far as safety goes (or at least, drivers have learned to pay attention.

METRO RELEASES PRELIMINARY FINDINGS ON METRORAIL INCIDENT/ INITIAL CORRECTIVE STEPS ALREADY TAKEN

May 31, 2007

METRO released an initial report today on its investigation into the May 9th incident that led to two METRORail trains traveling on the same track.

The preliminary report, based on an independent peer review conducted by the American Public Transportation Association, contains a number of observations and corrective actions that METRO will now look to implement.

These will augment actions METRO has already initiated, including limiting maintenance on the track to hours when METRORail is not operating and adding additional supervision in its rail control center.

Prior to the incident, METRO also began installation of indicators at each switch location along the track to alert train operators to the direction they are traveling. Installation will be complete by mid summer.

Additional technologies may be added to the system as METRO continues its investigation of this incident, said METRO President & CEO Frank Wilson.

"For three years, we

• 1 year later...
METRO RELEASES PRELIMINARY FINDINGS ON METRORAIL INCIDENT/ INITIAL CORRECTIVE STEPS ALREADY TAKEN

May 31, 2007

METRO released its newest METRORail accident statistics today showing a continuing downward trend in the number of vehicle collisions. In its first year of operation METRORail recorded 62 accidents; in 2005 it had 55; in 2006, 36; and, 14 so far in 2007. For Fiscal Year 2007, METRO is beating its own safety goal by nearly 40 percent, with 17 accidents per 100,000 miles. The FY 2007 goal is 28.

So is anyone aware of any MetroRail accident stats more recent than those in the post above? I looked through all their press releases, and couldn't find anything.

I'm hoping that crash frequency has finally dropped to the level of being a non-issue, but I'd love to see some numbers on it. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems odd that Metro hasn't put anything out on the subject in over a year.

Prior to the incident, METRO also began installation of indicators at each switch location along the track to alert train operators to the direction they are traveling. Installation will be complete by mid summer.

I guess it's too hard to see the Reliant Center to your left and know you're headed north.

LOL

Edited by houstonmacbro