What Is It Now

On Wayside one block N of Freeway at stop light the old building on SW corner has changed name to St. Austin. It gone thru several occupants in the past 30 yrs among those was Engineering Co. & TAMU. Just noticed it now has sign "St. Austin". Update me on St. Austin! I've always admired this building as it has always been well maintained. It's in Sunnylan[d]'s back yard, Vertigo can you help?

On Wayside one block N of Freeway at stop light the old building on SW corner has changed name to St. Austin. It gone thru several occupants in the past 30 yrs among those was Engineering Co. & TAMU. Just noticed it now has sign "St. Austin". Update me on St. Austin! I've always admired this building as it has always been well maintained. It's in Sunnylan[d]'s back yard, Vertigo can you help?

I'm glad you placed this in East End section as I only want to reveal funny stuff to us original East Enders. :blush: The crazy stuff that is.

I have a feeling you are talking about the building on corner of Eskridge/Wayside at the light? Directly behind the Vila De Matel Convent property/woods? That bldg has been well kept up (surprisingly) I am almost certain it is now used as a City Services program to help disadvantaged women. I heard now. It is across the street from what used to be a 7 Eleven years ago. Hope I'm right.

You should recall the Oshman's store closer to 45 next door to Holiday Inn. That store was our A-1 place to buy our baseball equipment for East End Little League. Sure was sad to see it decline as years passed. It should be raised.

The old Days Inn Motel across from that was brand spanking new around 1980. They had a decent clientele then. As teenagers the whole gang would go swimming & hang out at the pool. We knew a crazy guy that used to get on top of the 3rd floor roof and run off and jump into the pool. Insane! Miracle he is still alive. Howard Johnson's further down was another swim hang out. Glad we enjoyed in the day. :wacko::lol:

Funny "Near East End" stories to continue...

• 2 weeks later...

Your right! That is probably a shelter of some kind. Seems like shelters & "homes" [of various kinds] are poping up all over town. I was in yard one afternoon recently & a female was knocking on doors asking for donations for a women's shelter opening in the area. I asked her where in area was shelter opening & she said the "Heights". Apparently, I'm not aware of the "Heights" being in our area:). Apologies so long to reply, computer crashed & we're just getting back online.

• The title was changed to What Is It Now?
  • The title was changed to What Is It Now

Archived