The True Center of Houston

TheNiche

I have determined the statistically-accurate center of Houston, per population estimates by H-GAC...and I'm not going to tell anyone on here for the duration of a 24-hour period.

Give me street intersections. One intersection per respondant. I will give a digitized prize to the person that gets closest to the mark.

Bonus question: where was it in about 1980? Bonus prize available.

HAVE FUN! :)

Guest danax
I have determined the statistically-accurate center of Houston, per population estimates by H-GAC...and I'm not going to tell anyone on here for the duration of a 24-hour period.

Give me street intersections. One intersection per respondant. I will give a digitized prize to the person that gets closest to the mark.

I'll guess Gessner & Westheimer. 1980 I'll guess Shepherd and 610.

Oh, I should've asked this before I guessed...are we talking Houston or Metro?

What does HGAC's statistics consider Houston ? How far out ?

So you're actually asking for the statistically-accurate center of the Houston MSA (or area as determined by HGAC) and we're throwing out the actual city limits (which would be what you asked for in population-based center of "Houston") in our guesses ?

Also, should we consider Katrina refugees in our guestimates?

I think the ones that wanted to leave are gone, and the ones that are still here a year and a half later, are permanent, so I'd say yes.

I think the ones that wanted to leave are gone, and the ones that are still here a year and a half later, are permanent, so I'd say yes.

I meant more directly, will that effect a correct answer by Niche's standards.... Does HGAC include them in their stats ?

What does HGAC's statistics consider Houston ? How far out ?

So you're actually asking for the statistically-accurate center of the Houston MSA (or area as determined by HGAC) and we're throwing out the actual city limits (which would be what you asked for in population-based center of "Houston") in our guesses ?

EDIT: Mistake. I initially posted H-GAC's full area, but should've posted a different one. It is their eight-county Regional Transportation Planning area, described here.

Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Liberty, and Waller Counties.

Please excuse the inconvenience.

Maybe you should define:

the statistically-accurate center of Houston, per population estimates by H-GAC
before asking us to make a guess based on your determination.

I ask only because I don't understand how you could determine the center of the city based of the number of people in certain areas. Wouldn't you be able to determine the center of an area based on the population, only if the population decreased equally outwards in all directions from its densest point? In all reality, the decreasing population will be uneven, and will even increase again in some outer areas.

With my limited understanding, I'll choose EDIT: (You posted that map, thus expanding my choices) Scott @ I-45 as the center of Houston, as measured by H-GAC population estimates.

Maybe you should define: before asking us to make a guess based on your determination.

I ask only because I don't understand how you could determine the center of the city based of the number of people in certain areas. Wouldn't you be able to determine the center of an area based on the population, only if the population decreased equally outwards in all directions from its densest point? In all reality, the decreasing population will be uneven, and will even increase again in some outer areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centroid

Same concept --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_center_of_U.S._population

So this includes as far north as Huntsville.

as far west as Columbus, and Galveston to the south of course.

Outside Harris county, there is just as much population in the 3 counties to the SouthEast and East as there is in the 2 to the North.

But in the counties south and southwest its roughly twice as much as the other two groups.

I think I had heard the center of Harris county was 8 at 290, and that included Katy... for the most part.

So I'm going to move every direction except west from that starting point, but twice as much south and say

The center today is 10 at Bingle.

and EDIT: 10 @ Heights in 1980.

I'm prolly way off.

EDIT: Mistake. I initially posted H-GAC's full area, but should've posted a different one. It is their eight-county Regional Transportation Planning area, described here.

Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Liberty, and Waller Counties.

Please excuse the inconvenience.

I made an error in post #12. See above^^^.

Before I release the results, I need to confirm some things:

jdbaker - were you meaning to indicate that the centroid headed east or west?

jeebus - where was it in 1980?

I meant that it headed East.

You got balls.

Jeebus...it's all on you now.

Jeebus had his chance. I'm getting impatient.

The winner for 2000 is jdbaker; he gets some very well-deserved balls. Before I unveil the change in coordinates, I'm curious what jdbaker's reasoning is for proposing that the centroid is moving east. Do tell.

s9.JPG

The winner for 1980 is bachanon; he gets a brain...from an armadillo.

9bandarmadillo6clr.jpg

Jeebus had his chance. I'm getting impatient.

The winner for 2000 is jdbaker; he gets some very well-deserved balls. Before I unveil the change in coordinates, I'm curious what jdbaker's reasoning is for proposing that the centroid is moving east. Do tell.

s9.JPG

The winner for 1980 is bachanon; he gets a brain...from an armadillo.

9bandarmadillo6clr.jpg

Well, I think the densification of the innerloop is beyond dispute. How many townhouse houses, high-end apartments, or WestU McMansions were around in 1980? The more controversial part, is that I see the West side as being in the midst of slow decline. I would go as far as to predict that in 20 years, Riverside Terrace will be more desirable, and more expensive, than the westernmost portions of Memorial. It's all about the Eastside. Thanks for the balls.

Well, I think the densification of the innerloop is beyond dispute. How many townhouse houses, high-end apartments, or WestU McMansions were around in 1980? The more controversial part, is that I see the West side as being in the midst of slow decline. I would go as far as to predict that in 20 years, Riverside Terrace will be more desirable, and more expensive, than the westernmost portions of Memorial. It's all about the Eastside. Thanks for the balls.

Actually, the big influence seems to have been Pasadena and other parts of East Harris County. People don't realize how dense it has become. It isn't quite Gulfton, but parts of it come pretty close. And it has less to do with new construction (although there is a fair bit in Clear Lake, Friendswood, Galveston County, and Kingwood) than it has to do with demographic change and larger average household sizes.

Thanks for the balls.

You're more than welcome. I had some to spare.

Unreal :o , I would have honestly thought it was a westward movement!

Honestly, so would I...and I like to think of myself as pretty well in-tune with populations of all sort. But it seems so easy for well-educated folks like most of us HAIFers to think only of people like ourselves, our friends, and our coworkers, as being representative of the greater society in which we live.

Kinda makes you think...

Archived