Westpark Tollway Expansion

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

Everyone's all down on the fact that The Westpark Tollway can't be expanded. That's not true. If they were to put all the electrical lines one ontop of eachother and move them all the way to the edge we could fit commuter ril tracks and more lanes of highway;

You statte this as the reson the NW tollway can't get built. I sat wrong. If you move the electricity vertically or put it in 1 superwire it solves that. NOw teh soloution that other cities use is double-decking. COuld use it one The Westloop, North Freeway, SW Fwy, and Westpark Tollway.

Everyone's all down on the fact that The Westpark Tollway can't be expanded. That's not true. If they were to put all the electrical lines one ontop of eachother and move them all the way to the edge we could fit commuter ril tracks and more lanes of highway;

You statte this as the reson the NW tollway can't get built. I sat wrong. If you move the electricity vertically or put it in 1 superwire it solves that. NOw teh soloution that other cities use is double-decking. COuld use it one The Westloop, North Freeway, SW Fwy, and Westpark Tollway.

Well now it is too late, because the tollway is complete and the exits are done, so I doubt they want to rip it apart and redo all of the tollway again.

Well now it is too late, because the tollway is complete and the exits are done, so I doubt they want to rip it apart and redo all of the tollway again.

they are having quite a few structural issues with it too. major cracks have appeared on several portions. BAD engineering IMO.

Anything is possible. It has to be expanded it's that simple.

Double decker seems too far fetched but who knows? I drive along the lower part everyday and it is so ugly that they may as well widen NOW. Its inevitable. I'll put the 1st shovel in the ground! >:) meet you all out there!

Come again? HCTRA got something wrong? Is Earth upside down today?

He was referring to the news story the other day on big gaping cracks that have appeared along the tollway. They say they don't know how they got there or what is creating them. It looks like the San Andreas fault is running all along the side, like what you would see after a 6.5 tremor.

Here comes the blame game. :wacko: Oy vey once again!

Edited by Vertigo58

He was referring to the news story the other day on big gaping cracks that have appeared along the tollway. They say they don't know how they got there or what is creating them.
i guess the county is scrambling to get structural engineers out there to see if they can shore up the pieces of the tollway so that more damage doesn't occur.

they are having quite a few structural issues with it too. major cracks have appeared on several portions. BAD engineering IMO.

This was on the agenda for last Tuesday's meeting of Harris County Commissioner's cour

"Recommendation for authorization to negotiate with H2B, Inc., for a geophysical investigation of pavement cracks on the Westpark Tollway."

I haven't seen the cracks myself, but it's obvious that the tollway was built on the cheap and I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of corner-cutting is the culprit.

This was on the agenda for last Tuesday's meeting of Harris County Commissioner's cour

"Recommendation for authorization to negotiate with H2B, Inc., for a geophysical investigation of pavement cracks on the Westpark Tollway."

I haven't seen the cracks myself, but it's obvious that the tollway was built on the cheap and I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of corner-cutting is the culprit.

the news made it sound urgent as if cracks of that size would take at least a decade to develop. hopefully they can find a way to stabilize the roadway.

Guest Plastic

One are they ever going to make any flyovers that will cocnnect to 610. I also heard they're gonna extend it inside the loop. Hope they elevate that part, we can run the train down it. WIll it connect to 59 at the end?

Then inner part isn't ugly. Now the out part, will development ever startoff along it. I see a Walgreens and lots of houses. It could make another Park& Ride Possible.

Do they have national tag? I see Texas tag which allows you to use EZ tag in Dallas, but does it work iout of state? If so truck drivers could use it and the new Katy Freeway.

Whoever is in charge of tollway design should be fired on the spot. Also, on the 59S/BW8, the concrete on the feeder is super bumpy. Its brand new, and its clear it was done wrong. HCTRA should force the idiot contractor to fix it. We paid good money for it and it should be done right, but I'm afarid, there was probably some money under the table going on.

The terminus of the tollway at 610 has to be one of the WORST intersections ever designed. During rush hour, East-bound Westpark drivers have to aggressively try to merge onto the exit ramp in front of the faster-moving tollway traffic, so that they won't get stuck behind other drivers trying to make un-protected left turns onto the 610 frontage road. People exiting the tollway usually want to turn left onto the 610 frontage road, so they have to get all the way over and manuver through all of the Westpark drivers merging to the right. My description probably sounds confusing, because this situation is a chaotic mess every day. Essentially, nobody is in the correct lane when entering the intersection. I have seen and been a part of many "near misses" while driving through here. When an accident does occur, traffic really backs up. Poor design is the bottom line - the tax payers really got screwed on this one.

Guest Plastic

Wjy didn't they make flyovers at BW8. The Beltway already goes underground. It would have been easy to build ramps over it. For some strange reason the decided to go under.

The terminus of the tollway at 610 has to be one of the WORST intersections ever designed...this situation is a chaotic mess every day...Poor design is the bottom line - the tax payers really got screwed on this one.

just wait until the at-grade University Line intersects the Uptown Line right there and necessitates stop lights and crossing gates.

every 3 minutes at peak hours. ~280-300 times a day.

Wasn't the Westpark Tollway built entirely with toll revenues, anyway. I know for a fact they didnt recieve any Federal money (hence the purple signs). That would account for the lack of oversight in the design and construction process.

The terminus of the tollway at 610 has to be one of the WORST intersections ever designed. During rush hour, East-bound Westpark drivers have to aggressively try to merge onto the exit ramp in front of the faster-moving tollway traffic, so that they won't get stuck behind other drivers trying to make un-protected left turns onto the 610 frontage road. People exiting the tollway usually want to turn left onto the 610 frontage road, so they have to get all the way over and manuver through all of the Westpark drivers merging to the right. My description probably sounds confusing, because this situation is a chaotic mess every day. Essentially, nobody is in the correct lane when entering the intersection. I have seen and been a part of many "near misses" while driving through here. When an accident does occur, traffic really backs up. Poor design is the bottom line - the tax payers really got screwed on this one.

Couldn't have said it better myself. As you wait at the light glance in the rearview mirror and see all the autos switching over at the last second and slammming on the brakes. Nerve wracking to say the least.

I dont need more any more whiplash. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

It always seemed to me that the Westpark Tollway was squeezed in with the least effort possible (or perhaps it is all they could get away with). But it sounds like the demand is there for something better.

When I lived in Houston, I lived right next to Westpark for a while when there was still a railroad there. Back then, the cooridor was considered as a rail line, however at some point, someone convinced the powers that be to turn it into a (seemingly insufficient) toll road.

Perhaps the existing infrastructure would be one of the best candidates for road to rail conversion.

Otherwise they might want to consider raising the toll significantly to thin out the traffic.

Perhaps the existing infrastructure would be one of the best candidates for road to rail conversion.

A 50-foot-wide corridor was set aside along the entire toll road length for future rail/transit. That is the main reason why the toll road is so narrow. If rail were to be built, the toll road would be unaffected.

If HCTRA could have purchased the entire corridor, we would probably have a wider tollway, or at least a tollway which could be widened. So it is accurate to say that the traffic congestion on the tollway partially results from the transit set-aside.

Metro (transit authority) appears to have no plans for using the transit strip west of the Hillcroft transit center anytime soon. And by anytime soon, we're talking the next 30 years. But that could change, of course.

They need to address the exit and entrance ramps. Those are where the traffic bottlenecks occur. I think problem in the design is the presence of Westpark Dr. next to the tollway. They tried to build around it and the result was pretty bad.