Construction Cost for New Home

i'd say $60/sf at the very low end... probably $80/sf at the median... for something "in downtown" i'm assuming it would be pretty nice so closer to the median... above the median would be custom stuff... that's based on what i was told by a builder who i was talking to build a set of townhouse like duplexes / triplexes.

i'm imagining the location of construction doesn't matter much, other than permit costs. construction is construction... the LAND price will certainly matter.

Edited by TAK

Yeah, you can't even get a good slab and the framing done these days for $60/sq ft. I have a friend building a new best-of-everything home in West U, and he's planning on at least $250/sq ft. You go cheap, and you'll regret it.

I've been doing a lot of planning and estimating for a 1000 sq ft addition, which includes a new garage, and a full "commercial" kitchen, and it's looking to be about $200k to do it "right" (i.e. jeld-wen windows, reclaimed pine floors, outdoor drainage system, etc)...and that's with me doing some of the finish carpentry.

All that said, I know a guy building p-o-s tract homes in Channelview for about $50/sq ft. To some people, a house is just shelter, and that's fine. But I think to have anything decent built, you need to plan on $150/sq ft.

Edited by cwrm4

Yeah, you can't even get a good slab and the framing done these days for $60/sq ft. I have a friend building a new best-of-everything home in West U, and he's planning on at least $250/sq ft. You go cheap, and you'll regret it.

I've been doing a lot of planning and estimating for a 1000 sq ft addition, which includes a new garage, and a full "commercial" kitchen, and it's looking to be about $200k to do it "right" (i.e. jeld-wen windows, reclaimed pine floors, outdoor drainage system, etc)...and that's with me doing some of the finish carpentry.

All that said, I know a guy building p-o-s tract homes in Channelview for about $50/sq ft. To some people, a house is just shelter, and that's fine. But I think to have anything decent built, you need to plan on $150/sq ft.

And just think--in Houston we have it good. My parents live in western Colorado (Montrose), and there, bottom-of-the-barrel tract homes are running over $100/sqft. Everyone's gotten squeezed by material costs, but the cheap labor here sure helps.

Edited by mpbro

i'd say $60/sf at the very low end... probably $80/sf at the median... for something "in downtown" i'm assuming it would be pretty nice so closer to the median... above the median would be custom stuff... that's based on what i was told by a builder who i was talking to build a set of townhouse like duplexes / triplexes.

i'm imagining the location of construction doesn't matter much, other than permit costs. construction is construction... the LAND price will certainly matter.

Thats cost not including land and probably without any soft cost.

Thats just not right. I can get a very good foundation done for $10-12 per foot of the foundation size not the house size so blended its more like $5-6 per foot. Foundation types do vary from one area to the next but this price is for steel slab on grade with 24" of compacted select fill. 15 foot bell bottom piers run about $225-300 per pier if needed. Framing runs about $12-15 per foot including material if I remember correctly. Windows can vary a lot if there are a lot of "custom" sized windows? I use fairly inexpensive windows and I don't think we lose a big amount of energy and aestheticlly they look fine. I want to say window costs on my little homes run less than $2 per foot. I could easily go to $4 but I really don't get that much benefit from going to that in my homes.

Additions are another story, contractors usually do pretty good on those jobs?

Thats just not right. I can get a very good foundation done for $10-12 per foot of the foundation size not the house size so blended its more like $5-6 per foot. Foundation types do vary from one area to the next but this price is for steel slab on grade with 24" of compacted select fill. 15 foot bell bottom piers run about $225-300 per pier if needed. Framing runs about $12-15 per foot including material if I remember correctly. Windows can vary a lot if there are a lot of "custom" sized windows? I use fairly inexpensive windows and I don't think we lose a big amount of energy and aestheticlly they look fine. I want to say window costs on my little homes run less than $2 per foot. I could easily go to $4 but I really don't get that much benefit from going to that in my homes.

Additions are another story, contractors usually do pretty good on those jobs?

[/quote

Does the cost go up when you build like in Rosenberg/Greatwood/Bridalwood area? I have 2.5 acres and would like to build a home in a couple or years.

Does anyone know what the average construction costs per square foot for a townhouse type of building in downtown houston?

Thanks

Have you by any chance found a check off list regarding bulding a new home? I am in search of one since I don't have an idea about what are the steps. I believe you are ahead of me.

thx.

Does the cost go up when you build like in Rosenberg/Greatwood/Bridalwood area? I have 2.5 acres and would like to build a home in a couple or years.

Not really. And, it won't hit $200 psf either. The kitchen is the most appliance intensive room in a house, other than the bathroom. However, for you to get a realistic feel for costs, you have to have an idea of finishes you intend to have. Tract home builders routinely build for under $75 psf. Custom builders routinely exceed $150. It all depends on whether you insist on Viking in the kitchen and Moen in the bath, or whether GE and American Standard will do.

Not really. And, it won't hit $200 psf either. The kitchen is the most appliance intensive room in a house, other than the bathroom. However, for you to get a realistic feel for costs, you have to have an idea of finishes you intend to have. Tract home builders routinely build for under $75 psf. Custom builders routinely exceed $150. It all depends on whether you insist on Viking in the kitchen and Moen in the bath, or whether GE and American Standard will do.

I'd say tract builders are more likely in the $45-50 per foot construction cost range. Townhomes inside the loop around $75-80 for something really nice. Custom can be from $75 for a nicely appointed house for a regular person up to whatever for the the uber wealthy. Where you really can spend is kitchens, bathrooms, cabinets, custom mouldings, covered areas that are not air conditioned can affect price a lot because you are charged for many items in construction on a per sq foot of total covered, meaning you are charged $x for your porches and such and it is blended into your PSF of living to calculate the cost. Tiles, marbles hardware can get crazzy as well.

Does anyone know what the average construction costs per square foot for a townhouse type of building in downtown houston?

Thanks

A very tough question to answer. Do you want a Yugo or Toyota? 18 months ago I paid about $140/sq. ft. This is with a perimeter wall foundation (chosen by the structural engineer) with medium to high end finishes. The custom builder is someone who builds about 10 homes per year. You would know their name. Land not included in that sq. ft. cost. I am very happy with the final product. I can't say as much for my neighbors who did not use an architect or engineer. They trusted their builder.

I would imagine material costs have increased in the last 18 months.