Antiquated Sam Houston Tollway

After driving on the new Austin tollways this weekend for the first time, I realized just how antiquated our toll booths are here. In Austin, there are no cumbersome gates going up and down to worry about. You simply drive through if you have a toll tag. EVEN BETTER, those with a toll tag pay a discounted rate at every toll booth, not just the toll plazas. It makes sense. Those who take the time and effort to get a toll tag should get a discount.

Why are improvements like these so hard to implement here???

In Austin, there are no cumbersome gates going up and down to worry about. You simply drive through if you have a toll tag.

You know, we have that too - It's called "EZTAG" - In fact some routes in Houston, such as the Westpark Tollway, are EZTAG only.

The Harris County Toll Road Authority has the EZTAG signup here: https://www.hctra.org/eztagstore/home/updat...?url=/signup.do

EDIT: I found this:

"3. Why is the Sam Houston Tollway so antiquated? HCTRA should install drive-thru lanes without gates for those with EZ PASS at the exit/on-ramp tollbooths (like the ones on the Dallas North Tollway). Instead, we have to wait for the $&*#@^ gate to open."

I would have to go along the tollway to see instances of pass-through areas along the exits.

Edited by VicMan

You know, we have that too - It's called "EZTAG"

Yes, I know. I have an EZ Tag. I was referring to the exit/on ramps on the Sam Houston. There needs to be lanes dedicated solely to EZ Tag vehicles, which would negate the need for the gates going up and down.

Yes, I know. I have an EZ Tag. I was referring to the exit/on ramps on the Sam Houston. There needs to be lanes dedicated solely to EZ Tag vehicles, which would negate the need for the gates going up and down.

They're slowly converting them.

They are re-building the entrance/exit toll plazas on the northwest section between 290 and 249 as they are doing the widening. As much as it would be nice if they made more mainlanes EzTag, the conventional toll lanes already back up quite a bit, even when the EzTag lanes are flowing freely.

That's their fault for not getting EZTags. I would've thought paying 25% more would dissuade them, along with guaranteed traffic jams.

They should honestly just make the entire system ez tag only. I drove out by 249 once on the beltway, cash payers back up into ez tag lane. :( If you don't travel the beltway much you don't need to be on it. I travel it once or twice a month but work sends me everywhere.

They should make it like Dallas' (yes, gasp, Dallas) ZipCash system. People without tags are billed in the mail for tolls.

That would mean that they couldn't fine all the people. Given the amount of people I regularly see going through the eztag lanes without a tag, they probably make a nice amount from the fines.

Not related to the toll booths, but I think the entire Beltway from 45 to 59 South has just about outlived its usefullness.

No room to grow and too much traffic.

They sure shot it short.

The segment between 290 and 59S is pretty good. The traffic mostly arises from toll booths (NB) and the ludicrous merge south of 59S (SB) -- in my opinion, the roadway itself is still adequate for our needs.

That would mean that they couldn't fine all the people. Given the amount of people I regularly see going through the eztag lanes without a tag, they probably make a nice amount from the fines.

True. Simply fining all the people without tags would be lawsuit bait though -- somebody would claim discrimination against people without bank accounts. They could ensure good revenue with a "Zipcash" type system by increasing cash fares. In accounting terms, raise the cash rate enough to counteract the proportion of accounts receivable defaults.