NO population half way back

NEW ORLEANS - The city's population has surpassed half of its count before Hurricane Katrina emptied the city, according to a new report based on utility hookups.

New Orleans gained more than 30,000 residents between July 2006 and March 2007, for a total population of about 255,140, according to the report by local demographer Greg Rigamer.

Full story here.

not sure how positive this is. i know several who've moved here and the pics i've seen aren't encouraging. i think a significant portion are construction people.

You're probably right, but sometimes people are people. I bet a portion stay on after the rebuilding is done and begin new lives there.

We will not know for sure until the next census whether Baton Rouge and/or Shreveport have surpassed New Orleans in population. But yes a good sign nevertheless. A colleague, a Tulane grad, was talking about finding a job in N.O. for the summer....

You're probably right, but sometimes people are people. I bet a portion stay on after the rebuilding is done and begin new lives there.

yeah another interesting figure would be how many businesses have returned....

yeah another interesting figure would be how many businesses have returned....

I know the people who run a business in downtown New Orleans. It's strictly a BtoB operation. They're having a tough time making any money because there aren't any businesses to sell to.

I know the people who run a business in downtown New Orleans. It's strictly a BtoB operation. They're having a tough time making any money because there aren't any businesses to sell to.

yeah that's why i am skeptical of the figures.

not sure how positive this is. i know several who've moved here and the pics i've seen aren't encouraging. i think a significant portion are construction people.

Don't know what parts of the city you're referring to, but neighborhoods like Lakeview, Gentilly, New Orleans East, etc. are really moving forward right now. The progress from a year ago is just amazing. The fastest growing neighborhoods in the city right now are the neighborhoods that sustained the most damage, and that's a very good sign. Another thing to note is the fact that the New Orleans metro area is growing faster now than it ever has before. Jefferson Parish leads the nation in job growth, with Saint Tammany Parish not far behind. Three of the fastest growing parish's in the state are located in metro New Orleans, and Saint Bernard Parish, which was completely dessimated by Katrina, is coming back faster than anyone expected right now.

As for the question about business; something like 97% of large businesses in New Orleans have returned after Katrina, and most of them are doing well. Small businesses are still facing problems, but most are starting to really move forward now as tourism returns to the city.

I'll tell you guys, as someone who has been here since Katrina, and was highly skeptical about this city's complete recovery a year ago, things really are getting better. The rebuilding process has really picked up, people are coming back, businesses are coming back, tourism is coming back, schools are greatly improving, and on and on. Behind the national stories about the crime and slow pace of recovery in the Lower 9, the city is really coming back.

I'm in NOLA every few months, I was there this past weekend, and yes, things are improving in a big way. The roadways are cleaner than I have ever seen them, for one.

Many positive things are happening, mostly through the efforts of community groups, schools, churches, local businesses, and hard-working individuals.

As for the question about business; something like 97% of large businesses in New Orleans have returned after Katrina, and most of them are doing well. Small businesses are still facing problems, but most are starting to really move forward now as tourism returns to the city.

i know three couples who moved here from nola. they are all still here. one told me that his business has no plans to return so he goes back to his house every 2 weeks. another couple just moved into the heights. they are liking it here too much to return. they lived on royal before but their place was pillaged after the storm.

i know three couples who moved here from nola. they are all still here. one told me that his business has no plans to return so he goes back to his house every 2 weeks. another couple just moved into the heights. they are liking it here too much to return. they lived on royal before but their place was pillaged after the storm.

Yeah, that's not suprising. Many have not, and will not, return. However, one interesting thing is the fact that very many new people are moving to New Orleans right now because of the opportunities for good jobs, and to help the city rebuild. The USA Today ran a story about that a couple of months ago, and I'll try to dig it up.

I'm a student at Tulane, and it, along with just about all of the other New Orleans universities, will see a major jump it students from outside of the area next year. Tulane, UNO, Loyola, SUNO, Xavier, etc. are all going to see this jump, which was not in any way expected, as it was only a year ago that these schools had to cut classes because enrollment had dropped dramatically. This is something that I'm happy to see, as it's very encouraging to see so many young people showing interest in the city.

BWT, musicman, what type of business did the man you're talking about run or work for in New Orleans?

Archived