Red Light Cameras?

I just noticed this morning, as I was waiting for traffic to inch forward, that there are cameras on the traffic lights at the intersections of Huffmeister and 290 and also Huffmeister and Hempstead Highway. If I'm not mistaken these are Red Light Cameras. Who's issuing tickets on these? It looks like Houston is using their athority from the LPA for these cameras. What do yopu think about this?

The "red light cameras" are pretty obvious and are signed as such. If it doesn't have a sign saying so, it isn't a red light camera.

If it is a small camera mounted on the mast arm or signal pole, pointed towards oncoming traffic across the intersection, it's a VIVDS (Video Image Vehicle Detection System) camera, which replaces the inductive loops cut into the pavement. These cameras do not have the resolution to ever be used for automated red light running enforcement.

I just noticed this morning, as I was waiting for traffic to inch forward, that there are cameras on the traffic lights at the intersections of Huffmeister and 290 and also Huffmeister and Hempstead Highway. If I'm not mistaken these are Red Light Cameras. Who's issuing tickets on these? It looks like Houston is using their athority from the LPA for these cameras. What do yopu think about this?

It they were mounted on the traffic light poles then they are probably not red-light cameras. Red-light cameras are mounted on their own pole about 25 to 50 feet before the threshold of the intersection in the direction of travel, and have a strobe light attached above the camera. Also, the red-light cameras look like the old school security cameras with their large flat front box mounts, versus the traffic-flow cameras which have small tubular enclosures.

Also, most importantly, and for the ticket to be able to stick, there has to be a sign 25 to 50 feet in front of the camera (about 50 to 100 feet before the intersection in the direction of travel) stating that the intersection is photo-enforced.

Also, most importantly, and for the ticket to be able to stick, there has to be a sign 25 to 50 feet in front of the camera (about 50 to 100 feet before the intersection in the direction of travel) stating that the intersection is photo-enforced.

There are quite a few that don't have signs. i've been assuming they are not active...yet.

There are quite a few that don't have signs. i've been assuming they are not active...yet.

Yeah, they'll put the sign up last before activating them. I've also noticed that all the ones I've seen go up go active on the same day, and the news media are sent a release to notify the public.

If it is a small camera mounted on the mast arm or signal pole, pointed towards oncoming traffic across the intersection, it's a VIVDS (Video Image Vehicle Detection System) camera, which replaces the inductive loops cut into the pavement. These cameras do not have the resolution to ever be used for automated red light running enforcement.
It they were mounted on the traffic light poles then they are probably not red-light cameras.

OK, that's good information. I guess these are actually some VIVDS cameras since they are pointing at the traffic coming in to the intersection.

It is unfortunate that we should have to worry about these cameras at all. From reports that I have read online (google it and you will find many for and against) I get the impression that cities using cameras for traffic code enforcement have actually increased the number of intersection accidents. Normal law-abiding citizens are coming to sudden unsafe stops to avoid a ticket and causing more accidents than normal.

Is it a camera for 290?

No, they are on the signals at the feeder intersections and the one at Huffmeister and Hempstead Hwy.

Unfortunately I got one of these a couple weeks back. I was heading west on Bissonnet getting on to the southbound US59

service road. The ticket came amazingly quick, about a week, and the photos do seem to catch me red handed. I did not

recall seeing a sign on Bissonnet, though I have seen them on the service road. Making a left turn onto a freeway service

road is kind of tricky, because you have to go through two lights, and there's a natural inclination to think that once you've

made the first light, the signals are timed so you can make the second one as well, to keep traffic flowing. I guess not. I have a good driving record and never intentionally run lights, but this one got me.

A passenger in my car commented that the light seemed to go from green to red very fast. How do I know the signal was working properly? If you get little or no yellow light, then yeah you probably will run through a red light, because you can't

react that fast and probably wouldn't want to anyway for fear of being hit from behind.

Any tips on how to beat this unfair rap would be appreciated. I don't think it goes on your record, but $75 is more than I just

want to throw down a rat hole.

Thanks, Mayor White. You probably lost my vote. Glad to see your daughter beat her DWI rap, but I don't think I could afford

your attorney for my little problem.

Another irritant: this is a real money making scheme. Your ticket comes from Arizona and you send your money to somewhere in Ohio. The city's job is just to count all that money coming in from their take of the loot from this unfair and unwanted scheme.

I saw one day at Bissonnet & 59 something very interesting. There was a wreck in the eastbound lanes on the east side of the freeway. Well, the way the accident landed, it made for an impromptu four-way stop for all the traffic. I was heading west-bound on Bissonnet and was going to turn right on to 59 and get on the freeway. Well, while waiting my turn to turn right, I realized that the traffic camera was still taking pictures of everyone on Bissonnet traveling through the intersection, even though the light was flashing red, and it was in-effect, a four-way stop.

I'm curious how those were dealt with. I'm sure it gave out at least a hundred incorrect tickets.

A passenger in my car commented that the light seemed to go from green to red very fast. How do I know the signal was working properly? If you get little or no yellow light, then yeah you probably will run through a red light, because you can't

react that fast and probably wouldn't want to anyway for fear of being hit from behind.

Any tips on how to beat this unfair rap would be appreciated. I don't think it goes on your record, but $75 is more than I just

want to throw down a rat hole.

I know a councilmember who also has heard several stories about light timing.

And while the ticket doesn't go on your record, if you don't pay, it'll end up on your credit report :(

I'm curious how those were dealt with. I'm sure it gave out at least a hundred incorrect tickets.

An officer should be reviewing all violations issued to determine if a violation actually occured. If a driver were still issued a citation when the signal was in flash, and the driver actually remembers that the signal was in flash, there should be an appeals process where those facts can be presented. If the signal was in flash, the city would have a maintenence record of sending a technician to reset the signal, which would verify your story.

It is unfortunate that we should have to worry about these cameras at all. From reports that I have read online (google it and you will find many for and against) I get the impression that cities using cameras for traffic code enforcement have actually increased the number of intersection accidents. Normal law-abiding citizens are coming to sudden unsafe stops to avoid a ticket and causing more accidents than normal.

Sounds like the same kind of logic that says you shouldn't wear a seatbelt because you might get trapped in a car fire.

News flash: If you rear-end somebody who stops because a light is changing, it's your fault.

The red-light running that goes on in this city can sometimes be downright negligent. I'm all in favor of better enforcement, and by and large, that's what these cameras do.

Guest danax
I also think they should do speed limit enforcement with the same cameras. It's easy to do; law of averages.

They could install cameras on the freeway signs and time the vehicles as they drive from sign to sign. Imagine the possiblitie$.

Like them or not, these cameras are the future of traffic enforcement and I'm all for them as they free up law enforcement for more serious police work as well as being a potential cash cow.

Back when I was getting tickets I might've felt differently.

I noticed on Sunday that there are cameras at Cypress Rosehill and 2920! I know that is not the City of Houston doing that. It could be the new cameras that detect an emergency vehicles lights coming and automatically gives everone else a red light so they can get through an intersection.

I noticed on Sunday that there are cameras at Cypress Rosehill and 2920! I know that is not the City of Houston doing that. It could be the new cameras that detect an emergency vehicles lights coming and automatically gives everone else a red light so they can get through an intersection.

Those are the VIVDS I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I also think they should do speed limit enforcement with the same cameras. It's easy to do; law of averages.

They actually do this in some states. I believe it's on of the toll roads in Florida that checks the time you go through a toll booth versus the time of hitting the next toll booth. If it is too fast, they send you a ticket in the mail.

Wow! Where did this oppressiveness come from? First we have red light cameras installed. Supposedly, they are there to create a safer motoring environment but we all know it is to make the city money. Now some of you guys say that we should put speed cameras on our roads too. I don't see how this is necessary.

Wow! Where did this oppressiveness come from? First we have red light cameras installed. Supposedly, they are there to create a safer motoring environment but we all know it is to make the city money. Now some of you guys say that we should put speed cameras on our roads too. I don't see how this is necessary.

I don't agree with either type of camera. For instance, I was at a red light with traffic backed up behind me, and an ambulance began approaching the intersection. The only way for them to get by was for the driver next to me to pull through the light. If there would've been a camera there, he would've gotten a ticket. Unfortunately, the city offers no way to argue your case in these situations. Failure to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle is a crime too.

I don't agree with either type of camera. For instance, I was at a red light with traffic backed up behind me, and an ambulance began approaching the intersection. The only way for them to get by was for the driver next to me to pull through the light. If there would've been a camera there, he would've gotten a ticket. Unfortunately, the city offers no way to argue your case in these situations. Failure to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle is a crime too.

If the Ambulance ran the red light then it would get a ticket too. I'm sure those machines have counters. Just get your lawyer to track down the next few pictures taken and hopefully one will be of an ambulance.

If the Ambulance ran the red light then it would get a ticket too. I'm sure those machines have counters. Just get your lawyer to track down the next few pictures taken and hopefully one will be of an ambulance.

evidently the city has been getting quite a few tickets already. police cars, ambulances, etc are all targets.

FYI to all: Just double checked with someone who knows this stuff. Red light cameras are different from VIVDS (traffic flow) cameras are different from emergency vehicle detector cameras (not sure about the nickname on these).

So potentially - each major intersection could end up with 12 cameras if you had all three kinds pointed in four different directions! Ridiculous! You would think that before installing all this stuff someone could come up with one camera that does all three jobs. (plus the VIVDS are not working all that well apparently)

Just thought you'd like to know where your tax dollars are going.

They are putting them on Woodlands Parkway. After 2 million dollars for the untimed "timed lights," they putting these camera up.

Grab a clue. Time the lights on the ONLY east /west road in Podunk and people won't run them. Two million ought to buy something other than chaos.

FYI to all: Just double checked with someone who knows this stuff. Red light cameras are different from VIVDS (traffic flow) cameras are different from emergency vehicle detector cameras (not sure about the nickname on these).

So potentially - each major intersection could end up with 12 cameras if you had all three kinds pointed in four different directions! Ridiculous! You would think that before installing all this stuff someone could come up with one camera that does all three jobs. (plus the VIVDS are not working all that well apparently)

Well, to clarify, the "camera" that changes the lights for the emergency vehicles is not a camera but actually a sensor. The VIVD's cameras are video cameras that detect motion. The red-light cameras are high speed photograph cameras. Perhaps they could some how incorporate the VIVD's & red-light cameras, but for them each to be effective, they still have to be in different locations.

Edited by Jeebus

Check again with that person who knows this stuff. LOL!

Check again with that person who knows this stuff. LOL!

Those traffic cameras were put there by TXDOT and are monitored for traffic flow management by Houston Transtar. A lot of Transtar's money comes from federal highway funds.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think only incorporated municipalities can put up cameras to catch red light runners. County governments don't have the authority to do that in unincorporated areas.

Edited by FilioScotia

Those traffic cameras were put there by TXDOT and are monitored for traffic flow management by Houston Transtar. A lot of Transtar's money comes from federal highway funds.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think only incorporated municipalities can put up cameras to catch red light runners. County governments don't have the authority to do that in unincorporated areas.

To say that, one device should do the job of traffic monitoring, vehicle detection and red-light enforcement is akin to saying that TxDOT should use one tool to do the job of a shovel, a backhoe and a bulldozer.

To say that, one device should do the job of traffic monitoring, vehicle detection and red-light enforcement is akin to saying that TxDOT should use one tool to do the job of a shovel, a backhoe and a bulldozer.

I tried to find a picture of one on google but couldn't - but there are backhoes with front-end mounted scrapers that can easily do the job of digging, scooping, and scraping.

I know TJones knows what I'm talking about.