Galveston from LEO

editor

What is the name of that "New Subdivision"? I am out in West Bay every other weekend and never have seen it.

Google maps shows it undeveloped but paved with streets and canals.

Harborwalk. It was planned decades ago, and they even did some site work and excavated canals, but the operation folded and it sat derelict until just a few years ago.

Think of the pink flamingo that used to be visible from Highway 6.

Edited by TheNiche

That's pretty slick for Hitchcock! Although there is a certain something about being on the island. And these prices are in the Pirate's Beach range.

homesites_head.jpg

I don't know, when it comes to the west end of Galveston, I could really care less whether I were there or on the Mainland. Harborwalk is especially attractive because it is unlikely to ever get neighbors. The Corps of Engineers is now pretty strict about development of marshland.

But I'm not big on waterfront anyway. If I had a boat, I'd prefer renting a slip and owning a four-story concrete townhome (or larger, depending upon financial resources) a few lots off the water.

• 1 month later...
Does the Texas City Dike mess up the hydrodynamics of Galveston Bay? What's the specific purpose for which it was built?

Yes, it creates some problems with proper oxygenation and salinity levels of parts of the bay. Its justification was to provide a safe harbor for the Port of Texas City.

Harborwalk was built on a project site originally developed by John Mecom (think Warwick Hotel, New Orleans Saints, oil wells). It (Flamingo Isles) failed miserably but the nail in the coffin was mainly because the Corps of Engineers dredged a diversionary canal between it and the highway entrance. Mecom did not want to fund another bridge to a development that was not catching on with the public anyway. The few homes that were built were model homes. These structures stood out there at the front of the development for years only accessible by boat or a long circuitous route through marshland. rice fields and the old blimp base property. We used to go wade fishing in front of these houses. I never saw a soul in them but it was obvious that someone was keeping them repaired. They had electrical service because you could see the power lines running from Highway Six out to them but I doubt that there was potable water or a functioning sewer. (well and septic I assume).

Hitchcock has never seen anything like these new homes being built out there now.