Ferry to Pt.Arthur

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

I was talking to a friendd, he was telling me that the Bolivar Ferry goes from Galveston to Port Arthur. We were in disagreement he said he took it when he lived in Beaumont.

I'm asking how, it would be a little hard for a ferry to ride on The Gulf Of Mexico. He said it took a canal which must have been The Intercoastal Waterway. Everytime I tookt he ferry it eneded at Bolivar and went straight back to Galveston.

Anyway they're going to replace it witha bridge anyway. SO maybe they could use the ferries tot ake you directly to West beach seeing that that bridge hasn't gotten built.

Anyway they're going to replace it witha bridge anyway. SO maybe they could use the ferries tot ake you directly to West beach seeing that that bridge hasn't gotten built.

No. Drive 20 miles north from High Island to Winnie, and then 30 miles east to Port Arthur.

By water, it is about 35 or 40 miles between those two points, but it is much slower and more expensive.

It used to be possible to drive Texas 87 from Bolivar almost to Port Arthur, until a tropical storm trashed the road in 1997(?). I've parked where the road ends and walked a few miles down. It's very cool and creepy. When I did it last in 2001 there were huge slabs of highway jutting out of the sand like something from Planet Of The Apes.

It's also the best shell collecting area near Houston because no one bothers to go far off the road. You can find some really big ones back there.

It used to be possible to drive Texas 87 from Bolivar almost to Port Arthur, until a tropical storm trashed the road in 1997(?). I've parked where the road ends and walked a few miles down. It's very cool and creepy. When I did it last in 2001 there were huge slabs of highway jutting out of the sand like something from Planet Of The Apes.

It's also the best shell collecting area near Houston because no one bothers to go far off the road. You can find some really big ones back there.

That area, called McFaddin Beach, is also an unofficial nude beach. But being a professional photographer, I suspect you already knew that... ;):lol:

2 new developements. First let me tell my story about my ride on 87 between High Island and PAT. The road was close but we drove it anyway. I think it was 1992.

About 70% of the road was ok. The remaining 30% was bad. At one point the Gulf of Mexico was covering one side of the 2 lane road. Today, large chunks of the road is gone.

The good news. They found a large sand deposit not far from the site in the Gulf. Jefferson County has/will recieve federal money to start rebuilding the coast and rebuilding 87. I dont know how soon, but the money is already allocated if not already in the hands of the County.

2 new developements. First let me tell my story about my ride on 87 between High Island and PAT. The road was close but we drove it anyway. I think it was 1992.

About 70% of the road was ok. The remaining 30% was bad. At one point the Gulf of Mexico was covering one side of the 2 lane road. Today, large chunks of the road is gone.

The good news. They found a large sand deposit not far from the site in the Gulf. Jefferson County has/will recieve federal money to start rebuilding the coast and rebuilding 87. I dont know how soon, but the money is already allocated if not already in the hands of the County.

Wow. I'm really surprised that they're rebuilding that road. I remember it was a big short-cut for truckers. Did anyone else see any negative impact when it disappeared?

When it disappeared, Sabine Pass only had one way in and out of the area, 87 north to Port Arthur, which includes a bridge over the inter coastal canal (or whatever it's called). As a Beaumont resident, I seem to remember a time in my childhood (I'm 22 now) where that bridge was hit by a barge and Sabine Pass was basically cut off from the rest of the world for about a week.

The new 87 towards Bolivar will really help since Sabine Pass is getting an LNG terminal.

Edited by Justin

Long lenses make good friendses.

Editor, tell the truth, you know you use that "fisheye" lens when you are taking self portraits on that Beach. :blink:;):lol:

If you don't get it, I can't explain it to you here.

Edited by TJones

Its a good thing I took a camera one day when I and a bunch of the old crowd went to Bolivar in my 72 Cutlass convertible. I stood on top deck a snapped looking down as all the hippies covered my car. We actually used to go to the ferry and ride to Bolivar in the middle of the night when there were hardly any cars. You could always see dolphins in the evening splashing around as we passed. It was such a little adventure passing that big old lighthouse too. Wonder if still there? Once we got to that beach we would run up to the old army military ruins. It was neat running around there partying at 1-2 am and no one to bother you. >:) Glad we did when it was possible.

Its a good thing I took a camera one day when I and a bunch of the old crowd went to Bolivar in my 72 Cutlass convertible. I stood on top deck a snapped looking down as all the hippies covered my car. We actually used to go to the ferry and ride to Bolivar in the middle of the night when there were hardly any cars. You could always see dolphins in the evening splashing around as we passed. It was such a little adventure passing that big old lighthouse too. Wonder if still there? Once we got to that beach we would run up to the old army military ruins. It was neat running around there partying at 1-2 am and no one to bother you. >:) Glad we did when it was possible.

Any pics of the '72 Vert. Love to see them.