Frustrated.. [Updated: now amazingly happy]

woolie

Blah... I'm just here to vent a little. Getting tired of searching HAR/Craigslist every day.

I just absolutely do not want to live in a large, managed "complex." I've been to visit enough of them and I just feel they're bland and dehumanizing. The reasons are the lack of attention to detail, the lack of architectural vision, the blandness of the units, the complete disregard for any interaction with the street and street life (garages, courtyards, blank walls street level, etc.). I wouldn't mind living in a large complex if it was something like the Beaconsfield, or one of the other downtown buildings (too $$$ though), or a NYC or Parisian style building... but very few complexes in Houston have impressed me at all, or they're outrageously expensive. Basically every single apartment complex in the loop is just a clone of a suburban complex, only modified to fit inside the lot lines or add an extra story or two.

So I'm looking mainly at duplexes in older houses in Montrose/Midtown/(ideally) Museum District (but too $$). Two bedrooms is important because I need a study to work in and my sister might come live with us for the Fall semester. I see a few I like, but there's always a problem.. the kitchen is garbage, or it's too far from transit, or it has carpet instead of hardwoods, or it's on a really sketchy block, etc. I know it's hard to be picky on a budget, but.. sigh. I'd like to keep it under $1300/mo. I suppose we could afford more, our take home pay together is about $5000/mo (most of it hers, i'm on student stipend), and we have zero debt obligations, but I'd like to save a large % of our income for investment and/or future house downpayment.

The most infuriating part is it seems that a few weeks ago when I started looking, there were plenty of awesome units I loved and that I could afford. But now that we're actually looking for real, ready to move, they've all been snatched up and I'm finding absolutely nothing compelling.

There are still some available that are OK, but it looks like I'm going to have to give up my #1 criteria, which was walking distance to the light rail or Med Center. I'll probably end up on the North side of Montrose near W. Gray.

I like these

http://www.medusaproperties.com/vacancy_details.php?id=9

http://houston.craigslist.org/apa/310218532.html

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

especially this one, but it's already leased now

and this one, even though it has no view and is 1 bedroom

This is a very nice, friendly area in a great location -- keep looking there, especially along Castle Ct. There are many duplexes for rent at any given time.

I drop my kid off at Lanier MS (Westheimer at Woodhead) every day, and there is a 2-1 for rent on Harold directly across from the school. If you don't mind school traffic, that's another great location.

This is a very nice, friendly area in a great location -- keep looking there, especially along Castle Ct. There are many duplexes for rent at any given time.

I drop my kid off at Lanier MS (Westheimer at Woodhead) every day, and there is a 2-1 for rent on Harold directly across from the school. If you don't mind school traffic, that's another great location.

I lived in a duplex on Castle Court several years ago. I felt it was a nice area for location, walking distance to the harp pub...park just down the road with the dog park..it was even a nice, scenic walk to the metro rail / herman park on the weekend..... I can't say i felt as "safe" as when i lived further north in the montrose area towards st. thomas....Castle court is so near Richmond and 59 and it's seems more sketchy than moving further south towards the museum district or further north towards westheimer.....

Ian Rees...i feel your pain, though....and i think unless you're willing to raise your buget, you need to compromise....

for me, location and individuality were my main concerns..which meant i sometimes had carpet (and not lovely hard woods) and i always did without a dishwasher or central air and heat.....

keep looking, there is an awsome little place i had seen years ago back behind the old 'cafe noche' that all four units look out onto a private courtyard, circa somewhere around 1920's......cool details...but again, i think they didn't have a washer and dryer.........you're going to have to give up something....i think you're in a decent price range to find something cool...just not perfect..

btw...how long have you been looking?

I think I may have found the *perfect* place in midtown, across from the Fiesta. From the pics, I'm in love already, just wondering what the 'catch' is. I have an appointment to view it at 2pm, we'll see how it turns out.

I think I may have found the *perfect* place in midtown, across from the Fiesta. From the pics, I'm in love already, just wondering what the 'catch' is. I have an appointment to view it at 2pm, we'll see how it turns out.

By any chance is it a 2-story duplex on Caroline? Some friends of mine lived there about 15 years ago. Location was great...it did get warm in there in the summertime with no A/C, but that was easily remedied with a big box fan in each room.

By any chance is it a 2-story duplex on Caroline? Some friends of mine lived there about 15 years ago. Location was great...it did get warm in there in the summertime with no A/C, but that was easily remedied with a big box fan in each room.

We put in a lease application for 1315 Eagle.

I'm really excited. It does fit every single criterion I listed above. It's huge. NO carpet. OK kitchen. High ceilings. Crown moldings. Classic style. 2 good sized bedrooms. Formal dining room, very large living room. The bathroom is awesome: clawfoot tub. Ideal location, even if it's not as "nice" an area as Montrose, it is 3 blocks from the LRT stop so I can get to work quickly and easily. It is 3 blocks from the 59 onramp so my GF can get to work quickly and easily. It's across the street from Fiesta so I can purchase fresh produce every day, and Fiesta tends to have great produce, and that particular one has been remodeled. We used to shop at it when we lived in the area previously.

The only concessions I've made are: it has window units instead of central air. Of course I'd like Central but it's not a huge deal. I've lived 23 out of my 24 years with window units and area heaters. Parking is on-street... no big deal. It is close to an elevated section of 59, but compared to our old place -- which was ON 288 and N MacGregor == Ambulance Alley... the noise level was within reasonable levels, and certainly MUCH less than our old place.

The only thing I'm worried about is that this is our first leased apartment, and my GF hasn't been at her job very long... we don't have any "bad" credit, though, so... sigh. Makes me a little nervous. :)

• 3 weeks later...

490920215_014d4a15d5_b.jpg

What's new?

- Wonderful couch from High Fashion Home. $1150.

- Beautiful 60's Lane end tables from Metro Retro. $500 for set.

- Curtains on street-facing windows (left side.). $60 per pair.

- Orchid, paintings, etc.

What's left to do:

- NEED a rug.

- Install remaining set of curtains (already purchased) on back window

- Install ceiling fan (already purchased) for superior cooling without using noisy A/C

- Install mounting brackets for pictures

- Deal with the side chairs until we can afford something nicer (see below.). I love my Sikes office chairs -- I have two, the other is in my office, may buy another set -- but they're a little off in a living room setting.

Slightly longer term plans:

- Thinking about moving our 32" LCD TV (not shown; to the right of camera position) to the bedroom and getting a 40" Samsung. about $1200.

- Book cases along back wall. approx. $500

- Trying to find the 'right' arm chair. The matching chair for the sofa is $750. I'd like a Mies Barcelona chair, but we're both a bit on the heavy side, so I'm afraid it would break.

barcelona%20chair.jpg

I'm still open to suggestions... we haven't seen a nice sturdy side chair we've really liked yet.

- Norh celadon green speakers. about $500.

greenpair-s.jpg

- Eventually, Eames Lounge Chair and small table behind couch in 'reading room'.. a nice condition used one can be had in the $1000-$1500 range.

lounge.JPG

- Again, save up for a George Nelson slat table...

Image-FC443214DA3711D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

(but this similar design is beautiful too)

54dean_copy.jpg

---

So far, it's fantastic. There is some freeway noise from the nearby section of 59, but it's not a big deal.

I love being able to walk to Fiesta in 3 minutes. I walk to Wheeler LRT station in 5 minutes to get to work. I can bike around the neighborhood. musicman mentioned the interesting foot traffic. I really do think it's one of the things that makes it feel like a real neighborhood, as opposed to some tract out in Sugarland.

Great pictures and information. Thanks for sharing.

Is there a yard?

There's a small front yard as seen in one of the pics. Fortunately we don't have to maintain it. A grassy area isn't on my list of requirements; a lot-line townhouse would be fine.

Archived