Kudos To Haif!

pineda

(as seen on www.bloghouston.net)

The Houston Architecture.Info Forum has an interesting discussion going about neighborhoods in the near southwest of Houston (and of other development more broadly).

I added the website to the blogroll on the sidebar a while back after discovering that the name is a bit misleading. While architecture is an interest, the forum is a much broader discussion board about Houston and the goings on here. The board has a large, active membership, and much of the commentary is well written and insightful.

As the local print media continues to neglect coverage of local matters, I would guess that we're going to see sites like the Houston Architecture Info Forum and blogs like this one continue to gain readership. A smart media source would try to use cheap blog/forum technology to leverage the interest of people in their communities, and involve them in the journalistic process. Houston's leading information source, on the other hand, seems to think layout changes and insipid non-blogs will do the trick.

I have to agree with you on many respects.

While singly may not be all knowing, collectively we have a very good pulse about what is going on in the city.

If the local (and some national) media is smart, they'll pay attention to boards like ours. Ignore the drivel that leak from SOME of our mouths and catch the few nuggets of wisdom (puns and one-liners) that others contribute, then perhaps we can get a good representation on how a city REALLY thinks.

Ricco

Pardon the intrusion of a relative newbie, but I wanted to thank you for the nod to blogHOUSTON.

I've really been enjoying this community since discovering it. There's a wealth of information and views, but I'm not exactly telling y'all anything you don't already know. :)

I see communities like this and blogs as providing a really important service, especially in cities with one-newspaper towns (and especially where the newspaper isn't what one would hope).

Kudos to those of you engaged in this fine conversation about our city.

One day, when I'm your benevolent dictator, I look back on this site and decide to spare the lives of all the HAIF members! :P:lol:

Oh you are so kind.

Where my post count may not be all that high I still enjoy logging on aread what everyone has to say almost everyday sometimes more. it is nice to see a current view on topics and not just what the media wants us to see or hear. It has always amused me to no end how 3 diffrent stations can all air the same story and each one give a diffrent account and story of the event.

Well I hope that this site will be here for a long time becasue I am a faithful subscriber.

Pardon the intrusion of a relative newbie, but I wanted to thank you for the nod to blogHOUSTON.

I've really been enjoying this community since discovering it. There's a wealth of information and views, but I'm not exactly telling ya'll anything you don't already know. :)

I see communities like this and blogs as providing a really important service, especially in cities with one-newspaper towns (and especially where the newspaper isn't what one would hope).

Kudos to those of you engaged in this fine conversation about our city.

Welcome Publius - it's not an intrusion for you to post!

I agree that blogs and online forums provide a nice alternative to traditional media. Of course, the Chronicle is fighting back the competition with their own incisive "MeMo" blog. :lol::lol:

Welcome Publius - it's not an intrusion for you to post!

Thanks! I normally like to play "lurker" for a while on boards that are new to me, just to get a sense of the place. But, I think I've lurked long enough now. :)

don't you write for bloghouston, publiustx, and Lone Star Times, which used to be called Chronically Biased or Unbiased or something or other...

Heh, yeah, I've had a personal weblog for a long time where I ramble on (publiustx.net), and I helped get Chronically Biased going. At some point, Dan Patrick wanted it to be something "bigger and better" and I was more interested in Houston. So he's got the Lone Star Times going and I went over to do the blogHOUSTON thing. I think everyone's happy with how it's worked out, although I can only speak for myself. :)

Heh, yeah, I've had a personal weblog for a long time where I ramble on (publiustx.net), and I helped get Chronically Biased going. At some point, Dan Patrick wanted it to be something "bigger and better" and I was more interested in Houston. So he's got the Lone Star Times going and I went over to do the blogHOUSTON thing. I think everyone's happy with how it's worked out, although I can only speak for myself.

Great job on bloghouston! I don't care much for Lone Star Times though. Never really cared for the whole Dan Patrick-Jon Matthews-Ed Hendee schtick.

My favorite weblog for current events nationally is www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/