Seawall Question

Does anyone know of any type of ordinances that prohibits buildings from straddling the seawall sidewalk? I've noticed that almost all buildings on the seawall sit deep within the lots. Living here all my life this notion completely escaped me, but I after visiting Miami and seeing scenes like this I got to wondering...

DSCN3724.JPG

DSCN3738.JPG

some of the buildings are on the sidewalk unless they've been bulldozed recently. the pics posted make me feel claustrophobic. i wouldn't like sitting at a table with a car going right by me.

There is actually a parking or buffer zone that seperates the sidewalk and street. Granted, 40 mph on Seawall Blvd. is faster that the average speed on Ocean Drive. Something I've also noticed is that most hotels and restaurants in Galveston opted to place the parking lots in front of the buildings rather than in back :(

Here in Galveston

The white line is kinda faded in this pic

DSCN3724.JPG

i personally wouldn't like the above situation. i wouldn't like to eat/drink immediately next to a road. and then i wouldn't like the pedestrians walking that close to me if i was sitting down at a table.

Yeah, that may be too close. Funny thing though, when we were sitting and eating no one really paid attention to us or what we were eating. People kinda just stroll along doing their own thing, or into their own coversations. I think here in Texas people would be peering into your plate, or give the casual glance, but none of that in Miami.

Archived