Robert E. Lee Graduates

Pumapayam

Kym said:
Hi everyone! I am new to this thread, so this is my first post. I am part of a forum called websleuths. We are a wonderful group of people who devote our time to putting names to the many unidentified persons throughout the world, so that we can bring a little peace to their families. We are currently trying to identify a young girl who was found in Texas in 1990. She was wearing a 1975 class ring from Robert E Lee Houston. I was hoping someone here could tell me a little about the class rings from back then. Was it customary to put your first or last initial in the ring or the letter of your school? Is there a place to get a class list from then? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48232

Is she dead, and 17 years later!

What about dental records?

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, yes she was found deceased, most probably murdered and is still unidentified. They have records but no one to compare them to. THe best lead so far is the ring.

While I went to school in Houston (not to Lee), I was never into school rings. So I can't say this for sure, but it looks to me like the ring is a girl's ring and not a boy's. If it were a boy's, it might be less solid of a lead, as it might belong to a boyfriend.

(You call her a young girl, though she was (possibly) class of '75, so I'm assuming she'd been dead for quite a while when she was found. If not, perhaps it was a parent's ring? It would seem odd to me for a woman in her 30's to be still wearing her high school ring, though I guess that's also possible. If you have an approximate age at time of death and/or approximation of how long she'd been dead when found, that might help others give you suggestions on how to proceed. For example, if she was killed in the 70's, someone might remember a classmate or recent graduate who went missing, etc.)

Robert E. Lee High School is now just Lee High School. Contact information can be found here. I also noticed that there is an alumni page - the alumni contact might also help. Don't know if you've tried it yet, but you might also try to go on alumni sites like Classmates.com to see if you can contact individuals from the class of '75 directly. If you're looking for possible alums on this site, I'd consider revising the title of your post to include "Robert E. High School" in the title. And/or post again in another forum on this site - I'm not sure Houston Photos is the best place for your inquiry. Maybe the Community Announcements, West Loop, or Historic Houston forum might be better. If you have any news clippings about the unidentified person, you might want to include or link to those, too.

One last suggestion - there were probably a limited number of companies making school rings in those days. Others may be able to offer some names - it's likely that there was one company that dealt with most schools in town in that period, and they might still have their records from the 70's.

Good luck.

[Edit - Sorry - I had missed the link to the websleuths thread, which contains some additional helpful information, when I wrote the above.]

Edited by tmariar

Can you actually just go to the school and look at the archived yearbooks. :unsure:

One last suggestion - there were probably a limited number of companies making school rings in those days. Others may be able to offer some names - it's likely that there was one company that dealt with most schools in town in that period, and they might still have their records from the 70's.

Balfour pretty much does all of Houston I think, and the office is super close to Lee High School

Hi everyone! I am part of a forum called websleuths. We are a wonderful group of people who devote our time to putting names to the many unidentified persons throughout the world, so that we can bring a little peace to their families. We are currently trying to identify a young girl (16-22) who was found in Texas in 1990. She is most likely hispanic, 4'10 - 5'2. She was wearing a 1975 class ring from Robert E Lee Houston. I was hoping someone here could tell me a little about the class rings from back then. Was it customary to put your first or last initial in the ring under the stone or the letter of your school? Is there a place to get a class list from then? Anyone know how many hispanic people were in the graduating class? Any info would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to read more about our efforts, please visit us here:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48232

post-3790-1175698785.jpg

post-3790-1175698799.jpg

Edited by Kym

Hi everyone! I am part of a forum called websleuths. We are a wonderful group of people who devote our time to putting names to the many unidentified persons throughout the world, so that we can bring a little peace to their families. We are currently trying to identify a young girl (16-22) who was found in Texas in 1990. She is most likely hispanic, 4'10 - 5'2. She was wearing a 1975 class ring from Robert E Lee Houston. I was hoping someone here could tell me a little about the class rings from back then. Was it customary to put your first or last initial in the ring under the stone or the letter of your school? Is there a place to get a class list from then? Anyone know how many hispanic people were in the graduating class? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kym and welcome to HAIF!

I graduated from a "sister" school, Westbury, in the same time period. At that time, it was customary to put the school's initial under the stone. A good place to answer your other questions would be to visit the high school itself or the HISD administration building. They usually have copies of all the past yearbooks on display somewhere there, and would most likely let you look through them while you're in the office. Good luck to you and your group!

Edited by pineda

Thank you for the welcome, I am not currently in the area, but we have found an old yearbook on ebay that someone from the group may purchase. Thank you for the information, we appreciate all we can get.

Okay, one thread was enough, you realize that I hope :angry2:

You can blame me - I suggested in the Houston Photos thread that Kym re-post in another area, with a title that referenced the school. (Perhaps the threads can be merged - the other was called something like "New to this board".)

You can blame me - I suggested in the Houston Photos thread that Kym re-post in another area, with a title that referenced the school. (Perhaps the threads can be merged - the other was called something like "New to this board".)

Yeah, I reported that all (3) be merged already.

Thank you for the welcome, I am not currently in the area, but we have found an old yearbook on ebay that someone from the group may purchase. Thank you for the information, we appreciate all we can get.

Keep up the good work, Kym. What a worthwhile & thoughtful use of your time on the internet.

I did try to delete the other, but did not see a way to do that. Thank you for suggesting they merge the threads.

Thank you Pineda, feel free to come join us!

• The title was changed to Robert E. Lee Graduates