The Woodlands Commercial Outlook Continues To Be Positive

bachanon

March 30, 2007, 12:32PM

The Woodlands sees bright outlook for business

Commercial owners group anticipates continued growth in retail opportunities

By BETH KUHLES

Chronicle Correspondent

Retail sales are booming, and the vacancy rate for leased office space in The Woodlands is nearing zero, the vice president of commercial for The Woodlands Development Co. told business leaders Thursday.

Retail sales in The Woodlands have quadrupled since 1995, from $258 million in 1995 to $1.04 billion in 2006, said Dan Leverett who also serves as vice president of The Woodlands Commercial Owners Association.

The Woodlands still leads the Houston market in lease rates for its Class A office space at an average of $27.48 per square foot in 2006, with a vacancy rate of only 1.4 percent, which is driving the need for more development in Town Center.

"There was a 403 percent increase in retail sales between 1995 and 2006," Leverett said. "We have the highest rents in the city, and our vacancy rate may get to zero before the new office space is built."

This was just some of the good news shared at The Woodlands Commercial Owners Association annual meeting Thursday. The Woodlands now boasts 1,511 business that employee 42,190 people in the community.

full story

There are a number of business failures as well. It is a risky place for small business. I wish instead of advertising and putting icing on the cake, that the Chronicle would report it in more depth. That is partially a problem from the community in the "sales" state of the union approach. For example, the number of jobs - it is better to report " quality jobs" rather than jobs.There are so many college students working in the stores, I have no idea how many real jobs there are. This is of course normal in malls. The rent is high and there are probably many businesses on the edge. The occupancy rate looks really good and that in itself is good news for The Woodlands.

There are a number of business failures as well. It is a risky place for small business. I wish instead of advertising and putting icing on the cake, that the Chronicle would report it in more depth. That is partially a problem from the community in the "sales" state of the union approach. For example, the number of jobs - it is better to report " quality jobs" rather than jobs.There are so many college students working in the stores, I have no idea how many real jobs there are. This is of course normal in malls. The rent is high and there are probably many businesses on the edge. The occupancy rate looks really good and that in itself is good news for The Woodlands.

As far as i'm concerned, jobs are jobs. Anything that's added is good in the long run. Other cities promote any positive trends in the job industry whether they're corporate, retail or not. I don't blame the chronicle for putting this in a positive light.

i've noticed "now hiring" signs all over the woodlands (service industry mostly). there do not seem to be enough unskilled workers in the area. i've heard (not verified) that there are high school bus boys/girls and cashiers making $8/hr plus, before tips, in area restaurants.

the only business failures i've been aware of were corporate closures (forth & towne, storehouse) or businesses who didn't keep their customers happy and, also, bad locations (beauty first, backyard burger). bad ideas too (gator grill).

some of the new restaurants, like "buffalo southwest cafe", simply suck. bad service, mediocre menu, ignorant waitstaff (may have to do with lack of unskilled worker pool) and poor cooking. it seems that investors and franchisees think that anything you drop in the woodlands will succeed. not so.

i've noticed "now hiring" signs all over the woodlands (service industry mostly). there do not seem to be enough unskilled workers in the area. i've heard (not verified) that there are high school bus boys/girls and cashiers making $8/hr plus, before tips, in area restaurants.

the only business failures i've been aware of were corporate closures (forth & towne, storehouse) or businesses who didn't keep their customers happy and, also, bad locations (beauty first, backyard burger). bad ideas too (gator grill).

some of the new restaurants, like "buffalo southwest cafe", simply suck. bad service, mediocre menu, ignorant waitstaff (may have to do with lack of unskilled worker pool) and poor cooking. it seems that investors and franchisees think that anything you drop in the woodlands will succeed. not so.

Let's not forget the hiring of the "learning challenged".........OMG this place had made me so PC........... at the HEB due to lack of available labor. I run when I see them bagging. All my produce comes home crushed if I got through that line.

I sure do miss Shermon and Jerome at the Voss Randalls!

That's pretty rude. "Learning challenged" people are members of society also.

yes, "learning challenged" people are members of society; however, i still do not want my cleaning supplies bagged with my produce (bagging 101), nor do i want my bread in the same plastic bag as a gallon of water. i bag my own whenever i get the chance.

yes, "learning challenged" people are members of society; however, i still do not want my cleaning supplies bagged with my produce (bagging 101).......

he was just trying to help you out during the spinach scare. ;)

Archived