Literally Losing My Mind

We are currently in Clear Lake in Northfork subdivision. Financially, we just can't do this any more. Boys go to private school. etc. The schools tht I would like to put them in are the best in the area, and there is affordable housing around them. I've lived in Clear Lake since 1991, but haven't heard anything about Brook Forest or Middlebrook? Can anyone help me?

We are currently in Clear Lake in Northfork subdivision. Financially, we just can't do this any more. Boys go to private school. etc. The schools tht I would like to put them in are the best in the area, and there is affordable housing around them. I've lived in Clear Lake since 1991, but haven't heard anything about Brook Forest or Middlebrook? Can anyone help me?

there are some nice homes in brook forest and middlebrook. but many i know in clear lake are hesitant to buy anything built before 90 because they are "too old" i like the area myself.

There are many ways to skin a cat. If money is tight, why not send them to an iner city public school?

Why is it important that they be in the best schools? Is it for their image? For your own possibly? Conversely, if it is because a quality education is important to their future why not take a more logical approach given your situation. If they are good students it is more probable that they can graduate in the top 10% of their high school class in an inner city public school, thereby ensuring admittance into any major university in Texas and will likely qualify for performance based grants, scholarships, etc. Studies show (no I don't have proof right now) that kids who graduate high in their class tend to do well in college also regardless of where it is exactly that they went to high school. The idea is that they learn to thrive on the competition and, if necessary, will raise their games in college. A close friend of mine graduate in the top 5 of her high school class in an inner city high school. When she got to the university (UT) she struggled initially because it was just so much more difficult than what she was used to but she did eventually adapt and quite nicely I might add. She had a masters by her early 20s!

And then of course there is the added benefit that your kids will quickly get in tune with their survival instinct and street smarts . . . they will need it. Hehe.

Like that last line -

There are many ways to skin a cat. If money is tight, why not send them to an iner city public school?

Why is it important that they be in the best schools? Is it for their image? For your own possibly? Conversely, if it is because a quality education is important to their future why not take a more logical approach given your situation. If they are good students it is more probable that they can graduate in the top 10% of their high school class in an inner city public school, thereby ensuring admittance into any major university in Texas and will likely qualify for performance based grants, scholarships, etc. Studies show (no I don't have proof right now) that kids who graduate high in their class tend to do well in college also regardless of where it is exactly that they went to high school. The idea is that they learn to thrive on the competition and, if necessary, will raise their games in college. A close friend of mine graduate in the top 5 of her high school class in an inner city high school. When she got to the university (UT) she struggled initially because it was just so much more difficult than what she was used to but she did eventually adapt and quite nicely I might add. She had a masters by her early 20s!

And then of course there is the added benefit that your kids will quickly get in tune with their survival instinct and street smarts . . . they will need it. Hehe.

I agree with what you say, not even on a Texas level, but if they look at any schools outside of the state. Unless it is a prep school, all high schools pretty much look the same. So top 10 of a class is much bettrer than top 25% from a better school, because they won't know the difference. The only good thing at private/better schools is only CP courses so you don't have to worry about falling behind. As far as still being able to do it in college, you have to look at the school, if they are in a great school because they are the top of their class, but the school is crippled in education. Essentially (affirmative action) sending the kid to these better schools, they do struggle. Good book to check out if you find that stuff interesting with innercity schools and college (ivy league in the book) is A Hope in the Unseen.

I went to public school, and a poor one in a small town at that. I turned out just fine. I'm working on my PhD at BCM. My gf is the same: she'll have her CPA license next year. UH was cheap and did the trick just fine.

I don't get the private school fantasy. Good students will rise to the top anywhere. Private school seems like a way to pretend a kid is special or talented even if really isn't. A talented kid will get by anywhere and make the most of his/her environment. Spend your money on things that really do enrich your child's educational experience, not just the illusion of such. Encourage self-directed learning.

I went to public school, and a poor one in a small town at that. I turned out just fine. I'm working on my PhD at BCM. My gf is the same: she'll have her CPA license next year. UH was cheap and did the trick just fine.

I don't get the private school fantasy. Good students will rise to the top anywhere. Private school seems like a way to pretend a kid is special or talented even if really isn't. A talented kid will get by anywhere and make the most of his/her environment. Spend your money on things that really do enrich your child's educational experience, not just the illusion of such. Encourage self-directed learning.

Word . . . and props to you both!

Edited by Ralo

i live in brookforest right now. I really like the area, and have no complaints (with the exception of my renting neighbors). but other than that, it is a great area in my opinion

Please let me know if you see any for sale by owner signs, or new ones coming up. We are more than likely looking for 2500 square feet.

Please let me know if you see any for sale by owner signs, or new ones coming up. We are more than likely looking for 2500 square feet.

of course! ill just take the dog for a long walk this weekend (she is getting fat anyways) and see whats around. does it need to be for sale by owner?