Relocation

dgreco

sorry to make a double post, but I found the right section, maybe a moderator can just kick the other post?

I have a question for relocation, maybe you guys can help.I am looking to relocate to houston-sugarland metro, manly because there is big business and water(raised on the beach), and the neighborhoods/towns seem decent and normal fit demographically to where I am from. Do you have any suggestions that fits atleast 2 of the 3 criteria for a good area for jobs, demographics, or water? Also, what is my best bet for jobs for new grads? I have a service at school, but I am not sure the connections are best, and I have read a lot of bad or not so good things about online agencies and online job posting websites. Thanks.

sorry to make a double post, but I found the right section, maybe a moderator can just kick the other post?

I have a question for relocation, maybe you guys can help.I am looking to relocate to houston-sugarland metro, manly because there is big business and water(raised on the beach), and the neighborhoods/towns seem decent and normal fit demographically to where I am from. Do you have any suggestions that fits atleast 2 of the 3 criteria for a good area for jobs, demographics, or water? Also, what is my best bet for jobs for new grads? I have a service at school, but I am not sure the connections are best, and I have read a lot of bad or not so good things about online agencies and online job posting websites. Thanks.

Online job postings aren't too bad, at least not the big popular ones. I'm not sure about online agencies, but the traditional sort are often very good at matching people up to employers.

I'd suggest the Clear Lake area as a spot that might be perfect for you, but it would kind of depend upon what field you're trying to get into. If you have a degree in engineering, you probably won't have a problem. If you have a degree in accounting and want to work for one of the Big 4, you will have a problem. You'll probably only be able to afford Clear Lake at first if you go for an apartment, but there are some nice ones available. If you want a house, you might try looking at nearby areas, such as La Porte, Dickinson, Bacliff, or San Leon. I personally like La Porte, and if I had the money to build something tall and sturdy, and didn't have to worry about the commute, I'd like San Leon.

Check out Bay Area Houston's website.

thanks for the info and the links. As far as "pricey" goes, I was wondering what that is. I am from the northeast and right now an apartment that is about 900sq is costing me 1,500 a month. So I would say a house or really nice condo between 1,500-2,500 is in my range. Also I am a Sociology and Accounting (double major). I haven't decided if I want to work in accounting, or actually wok in HR. HR is much more exciting to me and more consistant. I interned at PWC and worked in taxes and I hated it because it is so inconsistant. Thanks for the help and information.

Also, look into the smaller Clear Lake Area communities outside the COH proper, like El Lago, Nassau Bay and so forth. You may find a nice, neat older house from the 70s that'll suit your needs, and for less than 175K for a four bedroomer, if that's what you want. But the rental rates, if you're looking at renting a house or an apartment, might be a little higher, given the proximity to Clear Lake and the Bay.

And La Porte, I agree, is underrated. There's some suitable new development along SH 146 that's south of SH 225, affordable, and offers good general proximity to boating as well as the Armand Bayou Nature Trail, the Johnson Space Center, the Boardwalk and so forth.

If you want to split the difference between being near Clear Lake and being near downtown, you might also want to take a look at older subdivisions like Sagewood, Sage Glen and their ilk in SE Houston (lots of new home construction along Blackhawk south of Scarsdale, BTW). Only problem is that traffic is bad in both directions on the Gulf Freeway, especially south of the Tollway.

If you have a zip code map of Houston, you might try doing a general house search at:

http://www.har.com

It can give you some general housing prices for particular areas by zipcode, by maximum dollar amount, by number of bedrooms, etc.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!