Rail Expansion

I travel for work. My frequent US destinations are to corp. headquarters in Washington DC and sometimes Charlotte. I guarantee you i do not use public trains or busess to get to where i need to be once in these cities. Theres either a car waiting for me or an airport taxi. My European/Asian trips, i do not use public trains or busses to get to where i need to be. Theres either a car or an airport taxi waiting for me.

Some of these destinations are similar to Houston in the sense that business isnt always conducted in the CBD. Having extensive rail or bus routes to these places is a bit silly if the catalist for it is to make things easier for people from out of town. Businesses dont typically rely on public transport, in the form of busses and trains for out of town meetings/business trips because it isnt always reliable or efficient. Places like the Energy Corridor.....I would bet a great number of the people that work there reside in and around the area. Thats another place that is becoming more self contained, with people living working and shopping in the same area, independent of the CBD-hence no need for extensive mass transit.

Good point. I would however point to the fact that you are one example. A 100% participation of a poll would to find this out would be more accurate. Of coure...theoretically.

But point taken.

Inconvenient relative to what? Destinations (i.e. employment centers and shopping)? In time, destinations change.

For everyone that lives by the Energy Corridor and works down the street, there is one that commutes from Richmond or Tomball or League City. Residential mobility is overly accounted-for.

For everyone that lives by the Energy Corridor and works down the street, there is one that commutes from Richmond or Tomball or League City. Residential mobility is overly accounted-for.

Actually, I've looked at data depicting the commuting patterns of employees in the Energy Corridor. The Energy Corridor doesn't draw very much at all from people living in Richmond, Tomball, or especially League City. Serving those populations would be exceptionally difficult in many cases on account of how scattered and few they are. Also, even though I have a fair number of coworkers at my office (in the Energy Corridor), including myself, that commute from inside the loop, we are apparently in a very thin minority. The majority of people live in greater west Houston or greater Katy area.

But it is a moot point. Even if you could hook up the Energy Corridor to P&R service from all over the Houston area, it would be exceptionally difficult to get people to the front door of their offices because the area isn't at all configured for pedestrian movement. Even shuttle service would be difficult to set up efficiently.