New Branch Banks

Has anyone noticed the recent openings of several new branch banks all around the city? Comerica, Wachovia, Washington Mutual and a few others have put up several new locations in the last year or so. The one thing I notice about them is they have a similar style, very compact and with interesting architectural details, but kind of cookie cutter at the same time. For example, Comerica is using stone and a more Texas kind of feel to their design, WMU's buildings are kind of boxy and Wachovia has a little modern flair to theirs. It makes me observe the big difference between now and the days when there were a few big banks downtown with the columned fronts and respectable foyers. But then I suppose being able to drive through makes all the difference doesn't it?

Has anyone noticed the recent openings of several new branch banks all around the city?

The Wachovia on Smith (just south of Spec's) seemed to spring up overnight. The design is OK, but IMO too closely resembles an Audi dealership.

Evidently too much money to be made in branch banking since they started getting aggressive in their retailing of their financial products. Same goes with the pharmacy business. Both of whom seem to have some of the most powerful lobbies in DC.

Archived