What Is Coming Up On Bellaire Blvd? Chinatown

BayouCityGirl

They've done a good job of fixing up some of the apartments on Bellaire as you move toward Gessner. Hopefully this trend continues toward Fondren as more people move into the area from Asia and South America. The Fondren apartments and the apartments on Gessner south of Bellaire are harbingers of a great deal of that area's crime rate, and it affects the property value of what, IMO, are still very good homes in Sharpstown East (of US 59) and West.

Please, this isn't a one intersection town - you're going to have to specify where at on Bellaire :)

Glen

Sorry. Okay your driving from Synott onto Bellaire. If you look left you see the Dollar Store and the Viet Hoa (I think) grocery store, and across the street is a Krogers and to the right of that a Walgreens. The street goes from 2 lanes into one going past the Krogers (on the left) and Walgreens (on the right) Anyway if you are still on Synott and you look or turn right there are some apartments going up or some long building that has a red roof. Patio homes are around that area, um, let's see...I can't describe it. I hope someone knows where I am talking about though. But its going toward the beltway if you go down Bellaire Blvd.

I don't travel on Bellaire too much but from what I can see of the area its totally developed!

• 3 months later...
Sorry. Okay your driving from Synott onto Bellaire. If you look left you see the Dollar Store and the Viet Hoa (I think) grocery store, and across the street is a Krogers and to the right of that a Walgreens. The street goes from 2 lanes into one going past the Krogers (on the left) and Walgreens (on the right) Anyway if you are still on Synott and you look or turn right there are some apartments going up or some long building that has a red roof. Patio homes are around that area, um, let's see...I can't describe it. I hope someone knows where I am talking about though. But its going toward the beltway if you go down Bellaire Blvd.

I don't travel on Bellaire too much but from what I can see of the area its totally developed!

I know what you're talking about. I live in one of the patio homes behind that thing they're building. It's a residential/commercial property. The bottom floor is commercial, the second floor is a 2000+ sqft residential and the third floor is storage. The developer is from Hong Kong.

I know what you're talking about. I live in one of the patio homes behind that thing they're building. It's a residential/commercial property. The bottom floor is commercial, the second floor is a 2000+ sqft residential and the third floor is storage. The developer is from Hong Kong.

That is an interesting mix indeed. I would not think to mix storage into the mix, but I think it is a cool idea. Storage rents are through the roof these days. I was amazed at what they wanted for a 150 SF unit in Midtown. I figure this developer is thinking with Storage on the third floor that will not be accessed in the evenings there will be quiet living for those on the second floor.

How far along is this development? I need to drive out there and check it out.

They are REALLY REALLY nice!! Thanks for giving me a straight answer! :)

I love the red roof!!!

No problem. Yes, they are turning out to be better looking than I expected. Whew.

BTW, if anyone could give me the proper pronunciation of Synott, they would make my day.

No one I know seems to know how to say that name.

Ha ha, although I've only been asking the asian folk around here so I guess I'm not exactly going to the correct source.

shouldn't it be called vietnam town? when we go there, my girlfriend who's cantonese says that very few people who work in any of the stores or restaurants speak mandarin or cantonese, they're all speaking vietnamese, including most other customers. even when we go to ocean palace for dim sum, which is originally from hong kong, the waiters there mostly speal vietnamese and don't understand her.

is there a true area within chinatown or somewhere else where the chinese people go?

midtown is mostly vietnamese as well.

shouldn't it be called vietnam town? when we go there, my girlfriend who's cantonese says that very few people who work in any of the stores or restaurants speak mandarin or cantonese, they're all speaking vietnamese, including most other customers. even when we go to ocean palace for dim sum, which is originally from hong kong, the waiters there mostly speal vietnamese and don't understand her.

is there a true area within chinatown or somewhere else where the chinese people go?

midtown is mostly vietnamese as well.

That's rather peculiar. While I agree that there is a huge Vietnamese population here, I'd have to say that almost everywhere I go in Chinatown (unless it's a specifically Vietnamese place or Mandarin Chinese place as referenced by the name) Cantonese is the language of choice. (I speak Mandarin and Cantonese). Furthermore, most of the Vietnamese businessmen I know are hybrid Vietnamese/Cantonese so they speak both. In fact, the southern Chinese culture is so predominant in cuisine, that odds are if you walk into a Japanese restaurant here, the owner or head chef is probably Cantonese.

In China, they say (and this rhymes in Chinese)

Shanghainese eat less, dress well;

Cantonese wear less, eat full;

And Northerners are just dumb.

Haha.

You are absolutely correct on Midtown though.

I believe it's stacked so the person that owns/leases a unit is actually getting the whole stack of commercial/residential/storage. They just put down the foundation I believe on another one of this style (different developer) on Bellaire closer to the Beltway.

that even makes more sense. What sort of businesses will be in this building. Is it your regualr strip center with residential on top.

That's rather peculiar. While I agree that there is a huge Vietnamese population here, I'd have to say that almost everywhere I go in Chinatown (unless it's a specifically Vietnamese place or Mandarin Chinese place as referenced by the name) Cantonese is the language of choice. (I speak Mandarin and Cantonese). Furthermore, most of the Vietnamese businessmen I know are hybrid Vietnamese/Cantonese so they speak both. In fact, the southern Chinese culture is so predominant in cuisine, that odds are if you walk into a Japanese restaurant here, the owner or head chef is probably Cantonese.

i don't speak it so i don't know, but she says when we're at the hong kong city mall or ocean palace that most people don't understand her when she tries to speak canotonese to them. maybe we'll have to explore some new places.

i don't speak it so i don't know, but she says when we're at the hong kong city mall or ocean palace that most people don't understand her when she tries to speak canotonese to them. maybe we'll have to explore some new places.

Your girlfriend is right on Hong Kong City Mall, many of the places in there are specifically Vietnamese (again, refer to the name of the shop). And, if she's looking for an enclosed shopping area with a predominantly Cantonese bent, I don't believe there is one in Houston. However, I know for a fact that Ocean Palace is owned by some Hong Kong businessman and a large majority of the wait staff speaks Cantonese. Perhaps you were unlucky that day.

Incidentally, if you haven't tried already, I highly recommend Hong Kong Food Street on Bellaire just east of the Beltway.

Also, your girlfriend will no doubt understand my childish screenname.

Archived