Need School Scoop

We will be moving to the area this summer and I of course want my children to attend a great school. Would love input on experiences you have had with these elementary schools. I think we will probably end up within the Katy ISD area.

We are looking in 7 Meadows or perhaps Grand Lakes and maybe Cinco Ranch West.

Anyone have kids at Griffin Elem in Katy ISD.

We did cruise thru Westheimer Lakes really fast. Where are they zoned for schools??

Also can someone tell me what exactly is Lamar Consolidated all about??? What exactly does consolidated mean??

Thank you !!

Westheimer Lakes is zoned to Lamar Consolidated ISD: - http://www.canyongate.com/communities/west/schools.php

* Huggins ES

* Briscoe JHS

* Foster HS

To check in an area for Katy ISD, use: http://www.katyisd.org/AZ/index.asp

Westheimer Lakes North is zoned to Katy ISD:

* Wood Creek ES (Students are zoned to Kilpatrick ES for 06-07 and will be rezoned to Wood Creek for 07-08)

* Beckendorff JHS

* Seven Lakes HS (12th graders for 06-07 only go to Cinco Ranch HS)

Edited by VicMan

Hey Vic,

We are very curious about Memorial Thicket. Half the subdivision is zoned to HISD (The only area south of the bayou to be zoned there) and the other half zoned to Katy. What gives? Do you know the history? Is there anyway to request the other district. Its weird to have the kids across the street zoned to somewhere completely else.

Thanks!

Hey Vic,

We are very curious about Memorial Thicket. Half the subdivision is zoned to HISD (The only area south of the bayou to be zoned there) and the other half zoned to Katy. What gives? Do you know the history? Is there anyway to request the other district. Its weird to have the kids across the street zoned to somewhere completely else.

Thanks!

I believe it used to be zoned to Addicks ISD, which was dissolved. I believe the Addicks district was partly given to Katy ISD (including Wolfe ES), partly to HISD, and partly to Spring Branch ISD.

IMO, Memorial Thicket's north side should be zoned to Wolfe ES, Spring Forest MS, and Stratford HS instead of whatever Katy middle and high schools the "Thicket" is zoned to. I would put all of the city of Houston (including SBISD) into one school district.

Edited by VicMan

• 5 weeks later...

I would definitely stick to Katy ISD (south of I-10). Griffin is a new school. I know several people with children there. I've heard no complaints about the school itself. The only problem with moving anywhere west of 99 is that the area is growing SO rapidly you will surely be rezoned at some point unless you live in the immediate area of the school. My good friend lives in Seven Meadows and her children and been zoned to Kilpatrick, then to Griffin when it opened, and in a couple of years when the elementary in Seven Meadows opens, they will move again! Just be aware of that possibility. Of the elementary schools west, I would definitely try to be zoned to Rylander, Griffin, or or Woodcreek (opening this coming year).

Memorial Thicket is zoned in two different districts bc of the bayou. Everything south of the bayou is Houston ISD and before the Army core re-engineered the bayou it would make part of Memorial Thicket south of the bayou. Hence everything else. I wonder where the kids went to school before Westside, Barbara Bush, and the other opened up in the mid-90s (seeing how MT started in the late 70s)

yea Im with you on giving Wolfe back to SBISD. I mean its like 5 min to Stratford but we now have to go 25 min in the other direction to Taylor. Still a good school but c'mon! KISD will never let go of the property taxes though.

Memorial Thicket is zoned in two different districts bc of the bayou. Everything south of the bayou is Houston ISD and before the Army core re-engineered the bayou it would make part of Memorial Thicket south of the bayou. Hence everything else. I wonder where the kids went to school before Westside, Barbara Bush, and the other opened up in the mid-90s (seeing how MT started in the late 70s)

yea Im with you on giving Wolfe back to SBISD. I mean its like 5 min to Stratford but we now have to go 25 min in the other direction to Taylor. Still a good school but c'mon! KISD will never let go of the property taxes though.

Before Westside opened, the area was zoned to Lee High School.

Before West Briar opened, the area was zoned to Revere Middle School, which opened in the 1980s.

I believe the area was zoned to Ashford Elementary School and/or Shadowbriar Elementary School before Bush opened - as those schools are the two older schools near Bush.

Please...HISD folks with the cash shipped their kids to Bellaire, Lamar or any of the special magnet schools..what I cannot figure is how HISD extends way out there in between 3 school districts...

Westside High was built to give HISD another "flagship" public school because Bellaire and Lamar has seen its best days...problem with Westside outside of recruiting inner city athletes is that their athletic facilities (varsity) are nearly 25 miles away...

they play way at Butler Stadium on Main which is closer to the loop along with Lamar and Bellaire....hardly no fans will drive out there to watch them as it is with no real history behind the school....

• The title was changed to Need School Scoop