Bargain Gusher Department Stores

TxFireguy

When I was a kid, and I visited my Grandmother in the Heights area, there was a department store called Bargain Gusher on 19th I believe. It was down the street from the old Heights Theatre (anyone remember what movie closed this place down...curious, is the key word) and what I can visualize to this day is the elderly gentleman playing dominoes in the park next to the Bargain Gusher! Spent many days in that store, but can not recall what I bought though. Anyone else ever go there? :unsure:

• The title was changed to Bargain Gusher Department Stores
  • 3 months later...
On 3/22/2007 at 8:10 PM, TxFireguy said:

When I was a kid, and I visited my Grandmother in the Heights area, there was a department store called Bargain Gusher on 19th I believe. It was down the street from the old Heights Theatre (anyone remember what movie closed this place down...curious, is the key word) and what I can visualize to this day is the elderly gentleman playing dominoes in the park next to the Bargain Gusher! Spent many days in that store, but can not recall what I bought though. Anyone else ever go there? :unsure:

My grandfather owned Bargain Gushers 1 and 2. The first was in the Heights and the second was on Wasington Ave. If my memory serves me right, he had another store. It was possibly on Shepherd. Eventually he converted our shoe store in East Tx into a BG store. All the clothes were new. Underwear (i.e. bras, panties) were randomly dumped on large tables for people to dig through. Other tables had assorted outerwear. The prices were extremely low which encouraged most people to leave with several choice items...gushing with bargains.

• Like 1