My Impression Of Houston As Its New Resident

What is this lone man clapping for? Is he a champion for illegal aliens and he feels like they're getting a bad rap from people who dare say anything hinting of negativity? My original comments were punctuations of KZSeattle's points that 1) littering is a problem and 2) run down commercial businesses make Houston look like crap. I see these things in my immediate surroundings so my responses are based on that.

I hope I didn

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case, I would agree to some extent but even with this I think that some neighborhoods *look* like ghettos when they're still pretty middle income in economy and setup. Again, a lack of standards placed on the various homeowner associations by the city followed by sincere enforcement allow things to get out of hand in certain neighborhoods.

It's funny, I agree that this is still a great city that is attractive in many ways but it's full asthetic potential is being hindered by three primary factors:

1) Renegade or poorly maintained commercial units on main highways

2) Poor landscaping on many roads/poor condition of said roads (I realize this isn't a Houston problem, though; it seems to be a growing problem in many Sunbelt cities)

3) Unsightly signage along highways as well as unsightly billboards.

As we work to eliminate billboards I also think there needs to be a height restriction on commercial signage. It was cool to have a 60 foot Shell or McDonald's sign in the 60s, it's not anymore.

Outside of that, though, I'm good.

I agree! In another thread, people were discussing if Sharpstown has any hope of revitalizing itself. I believe it does. According to Southwest chamber of commerce, the average household income in Sharpstown is $85,000. This is certainly not the income you would find in a "ghetto". From what I have heard, the major roads in Sharpstown give people a misleading impression since, behind those ghetto-like roads lined with crappy business fronts, are nice and quite neighborhoods. That brings us back to the commercial businesses. I wish we had zoning since then the problem wouldn

To see someone from Seattle talk about Houston's lack of infrastructure is pretty funny.

Seattle, the land of two hour commutes to get over the bridge. 

Houston's freeway system leaves Seattle in the dust.

If you read it again, I said lack of impressive infrastructure and not the lack of infrastructure. In another thread, there was a discussion about Houston's freeways being ugly or depressing and what can be done to improve their look.

Indeed, traffic in Seattle is a nightmare. That

I disagree about Westheimer, though. I think it is ugly and should be improved immediately. TXDOT is making these small improvements to facilitate some trees and landscaping, but it is not enough. Westheimer should look more like Highway 6 in Sugar Land. Somehow they got TXDOT to pay for that.

Yes, Westheimer is ugly BUT in good shape. There are no bumps or pot holes. At least between Westchase and Uptown. So I suggested it could use some landscaping and trees.

Westchase has many crappy, pockmarked roads, but they've made them very attractive with their landscaping. I haven't seen anything else quite like it in Houston (maybe that is because they paid for it themselves).

I think that San Felipe, between BW8 and Voss and Gessner between San Felipe and Memorial City Mall are also pretty nice.

If the city could first, instantiate stricter codes, and if subdivisions would enforce or improve, or both, better deed restrictions, and if all entities would enforce them, then big problems would be addressed.

My whole problem is that I sense a generalization here against ALL hispanics bleeding over from the generalziation on poor immigrants. I happen to know that this constituency is very family oriented, commited to religion and the community, yet has little or no spare change to make things pretty. True, with poverty, comes crime. But it doesnt change the fact that most are good people that only want to work the jobs that the rest of us dont want, are willing to do it for next to nothing, and are many times willing to risk thier lives just to have the chance to have those thankless jobs. It's the lack of regard and wholesale dismissal to thier plight that can be offensive and humbling.

This thread is leaving a bitter taste.

If the city could first, instantiate stricter codes, and if subdivisions would enforce or improve, or both, better deed restrictions, and if all entities would enforce them, then big problems would be addressed.

My whole problem is that I sense a generalization here against ALL hispanics bleeding over from the generalziation on poor immigrants.  I happen to know that this constituency is very family oriented, commited to religion and the community, yet has little or no spare change to make things pretty.  True, with poverty, comes crime.  But it doesnt change the fact that most are good people that only want to work the jobs that the rest of us dont want, are willing to do it for next to nothing, and are many times willing to risk thier lives just to have the chance to have those thankless jobs.  It's the lack of regard and wholesale dismissal to thier plight that can be offensive and humbling.

This thread is leaving a bitter taste.

I believe you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. I do not think most people have a problem with a specific ethnic group. However, people do have a problem with crimes and illegal immigration, regardless of the race. The US is not a country of limitless resources. The infrastructure and resources of its cities are not always ready to accommodate sudden increase in population. That is why, there exist legal immigration channels that are used to monitor the flow of immigrants.

Poverty is not an excuse for a crime. There does not have to be a relationship between poverty and criminal activity. There does not have to be a relationship between poverty and littering. There are many, many poor but law-abiding residents living a decent life. They

I live in Westchase and Also agree. I've said many times that the only 2 places in Houston I want to live is near Westchase or inside Sugarland. It might be for those very reasons too. I don't think that Westchase would look like it does today if it weren't for a few selfless business people who saw that their business neighborhood needed a little sprucing up. Now, I would dare say it's the best manicured area in the city. It's a shame the city can't keep up with just a few business men & some donated money

My whole problem is that I sense a generalization here against ALL hispanics bleeding over from the generalziation on poor immigrants.

Yes to your alternative route - it is nicer.

No to the more concrete. If I'm correct the Westchase District is footing the bill to have grass installed in the medians from BW8 to Kirkwood (I say it as if it's future tense, but it's already almost finished). My hope and prayer is that the kind genius that is planting the grass will drop a few trees in there. Make Westchase the envy of the city  :P

Glen

That's cool. What about the under passes on Westheimer, Briar Forest and Richmond below BW8? I have been seeing some construction equipment there for a while but nothing seems to be happening. The under pass on Westheimer is pretty ugly with all that mesh of electric wires and traffic signals barely hanging onto them.

Does Meadowglen now go all the way through from Briar Park to the Beltway access road? I know that it didnt forever because of that huge peice of property that belonged to Western Geo> Western Atlas> Baker Hughes> Schlumberger at the SE corner of the Beltway and Westheimer.

In addition, anyone know what kind of retail is now going to occupy that location? I know the southern portion of that lot was pretty scary for quite a while because of the radioactive materials they used to test on that location for well logging.

the downside about westchase is that it had gotten trashy over the past few years, i lived there (walnut bend area) from 1997 - 2002 and towards the end, i got tired of the cops either being at my complex, the one next door or the convenience store across the street. the ghetto ass loud music 2 in the morning got old as well.

Can we not make objective observations about this group without being accused of being racist? Wouldn't racist be having bumper stickers that read "La Raza" (The Race) or listening to "Mega 101, Latino and Proud" or maybe having a business that advertises "Donde El Hispano Siempre Califica" (where the Hispanic always qualifies). Or is the person that has the gall to point these things out the racist? Lets pretend its 2050 and not 2005 and get over this racial stuff.

people are way too quick to to throw around the accusation "racist" these days as it has become a knee-jerk reaction towards anything that in the least bit might offend them.

I have to disagree with you. I think your apartment complex might have gotten trashy over the past few years. Bad management can ruin an apartment complex in 6 months. I've seen it happen, and have had to relocate because of it. I was living literally 1 block from Lakeside Country Club on Wilcrest and had to move because new management started giving aways 1 months rent free, and started slacking on security. They never enforced any of the simple rules about kids & music, and in about 1 year, it went to ____. I was so disappointed that I wrote a letter to them and didn't pay my last months rent. No questions were asked because they knew they had screwed up. They lost alot of tennets 2 years ago when we all moved out.

This has never been a problem at mine where I stay (a Camden Property) now however. Kids are not allowed to play in the streets, people are not allowed to loiter, and it's very quiet here. We have every type of people living here - all ages, all colors. Never have had a problem with the music either. Now, we still have the occasional car break-in (including mine) - but hey, it's Houston.

Bad management might have ruined your complex, but I don't think it ruined the district as a whole.

Glen

true for the most part but once a few properties starts going south, it brings down others in the immediate area. the decent management companies unload these properties once they deteriorate to a certain level becuase there's not much they can do to attract decent tenants once the trash starts moving in. and yes, camden has done a decent job of keeping their complexes free of riff-raff but they can't stop the complex next door from it.

Well, fortunately for me, my Camden is surrounded by a storage facility, Farhnam Park, Grammercy, Royal Oaks, commercial warehouses, 4 assisted livings new townhome development, Camden Park, the Plaza on Westheimer, and Westchase Forest. I think I'm safe from the riff raff! :P

Glen

i know exactly where you live. :lol:

nice area, btw

Only a Westchaser would ;) It took alot of research (i.e.: driving around apartment around 4 in the afternoon to see if the parking lots were littered with kids

Glen

C'mon man! You are talking of kids as if they are trash! You were kid once too :blink:

While I dont think they should be playing in parking lots (dangerous) but I dont see anything wrong with them playing in their little playgrounds.

C'mon man! You are talking of kids as if they are trash! You were kid once too  :blink:  

While I dont think they should be playing in parking lots (dangerous) but I dont see anything wrong with them playing in their little playgrounds.

i can understand his sentiment; he's not ragging on kids but apartment complexes that have kids usually have a lot of them and apartments aren

^ I agree, when I was younger and I lived in an apartment with my parents, there were alot of kids, but no where for us really to go.

We'd usually go in the laundry building and mess around with the washer and dryers, mess around in the wooded area sometimes,

and sneak into the pool area.

Although, now I may think for a kid there's not much to do, but I did enjoy my apartment complexes. Especially more than my current suburban house.

Only a Westchaser would ;) It took alot of research (i.e.: driving around apartment around 4 in the afternoon to see if the parking lots were littered with kids and then again around 7 to see if people were loitering), to find this one. It really is a steal, but the rental rates keep going up (I think to keep the riff-raff from being interested about moving in and those already here to move out - which I'm fine with). All in all, until we get a house, we'll probably be here.

Glen

I can't believe they are raising your rent in this market. Everybody is slashing rents and giving away the farm. I can tell you from my 20 years in the apartment business, it is not uncommon for owner's to want you to raise rents on renewals, while giving new move-ins a better price on the same unit. It never made sense to me, but in my positions as a Manager, and then as a Marketing Director, it was a battle I had to wage more than once. It might be worthwhile to have a friend "shop" them. Go into your apartment office and pretend to be looking for an apartment the size of yours, and just see what they are quoting new people.

I think most of the apartments in town, with very, very few exceptions, have overall gotten a little lower socio-economic profile living in them right now than a few years back. In the 90's every complex managed by even a halfway normal management company used to set standards for credit, along with income, rental, and criminal background. By the time I got out of the business last year, credit criteria had pretty much gone out the window. So long as someone did not have a felony or an eviction, you pretty much had to take them. That was all that was left to pick from as tenants for B & C class properties. Anybody with decent credit and 50 cents had purchased something and was out of the rental market. This was especially true for properties that were a little older and/or not in the most premier parts of town.

Kudos to your current management if they are keeping things up in the current market. It is a HUGE challenge in the current rental market.