Old School Anchor Team Question

TheShadow

TV Kitchen was possibly my favorite show, actually, although I never knew what happened to Jane Christopher. One hour a day, 5 days a week, live. I wish there were kinescopes. I read somewhere that she published a book back then, 800 Favorite Recipes, that was a runaway best seller in Houston.

Actually I wasn’t that in to cooking at that age; the best part of the show was when side-kicks Lee Gordon and Bob Dundas came on set to ‘help out,’ usually injecting some chaos, slap stick, or at least yuks. And the best shows were when Christopher was on vacation and it was just Gordon and Dundas - an hour of live, local Stooges or Marx Brothers-like antics. Well, after all, I was just a kid, not a budding gourmand.

BTW I think I’ve read Lee Gordon is gone but do you know about Dundas? I think I understand he went in to sales. From what I’ve read in the course of my research, he was the recipient of quite a bit of fan mail from the ladies. Also, do you know if he was related to the Bob Dundas of Foleys in that era.

That era of live, local television (and mostly live network) was great. I feel sorry for anybody who missed it.

TV Kitchen was not the show my Mother was on. I think her appearance was arranged through the Home Demonstration Agent of Brazoria Co. and she demonstrated how to make some candy or cake or something or maybe just showed the finished product she’d made at home.. I’ve tried for years to remember what the show was but can’t come up with it. It was on around Noon or 1pm and wasn’t either TV Kitchen or the Howard Hartmann show that came on I think at 1, the Guys Next Door or something like that?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I’ve read Lee Gordon is gone but do you know about Dundas? I think I understand he went in to sales. From what I’ve read in the course of my research, he was the recipient of quite a bit of fan mail from the ladies. Also, do you know if he was related to the Bob Dundas of Foleys in that era.

From the website of the Houston Chapter of the American Advertising Federation:

"Bob Dundas, Jr. died on May 12, 2007. Bob was born in Houston and graduated from Lamar High School, attended Texas A&M and served in the U.S. Navy. He began his career at KPRC Radio and Television and then spent many years at McCann Erickson Advertising Agency working primarily on the TSO account.

Bob was President of HAF in 1972 and was a longtime supporter of the Ad Club's activities. Bob's father, Robert Dundas, Sr. was also an HAF president in 1938 and a Silver Medal winner in 1967. Bob often brought his father to those ad club meetings at which past presidents and Silver Medal recipients were recognized."

I'm guessing Bob Dundas Sr. was the guy you mention who was connected to Foley's way back then.

• 3 years later...

KTRK Ch. 13's weekend newscasts looked like this back in the old days:

Weekend evenings: Van Hackett & Melanie Lawson, 1983-1987

Jim Rosenfield & Debbie Johnson, 1987-1989

Alan Hemberger & Debbie Johnson, 1989-1990

Bob Boudreaux & Debbie Johnson, 1990-1992

Bob Boudreaux & Minerva Perez, 1992-2001

Bob Boudreaux & Gina Gaston, 2001-2002; also with Stephanie Guadian, 2002

Tom Abrahams & Stephanie Guadian, 2002-2008

Tom Abrahams & Adela Uchida since 2008

If anyone can correct me and get the correct info, let me know.

when KTRK promised gina the anchor slot, it was inevitable that shara would be leaving within a few yrs. for women, being over 50 and on tv isn't always easy. she shouldn't be having any problems since she's still married to barry silverman and is definitely in the houston social scene.

(6/08/06 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - KTRK General Manager Henry Florsheim announced that former Eyewitness News anchor Shara Fryer is leaving ABC13.

Shara was the longest serving woman news anchor in Houston history. She served with distinction in the 1980's and 90's alongside Dave Ward, Ed Brandon, Marvin Zindler and Bob Allen.

In September 2004, Shara was reassigned from the anchor desk to be the station's first senior correspondent and host of "In Focus." Her assignments took her to Israel, Italy, England and across the United States. Shara has received numerous awards and she will be honored this November by receiving the Julie and Ben Rogers Ecumenism award from the Anti-Defamation League.

Anyone remember (I don't know if its been posted... didn't read other posts) when Gina Gaston left to go to CNN or was it Fox News. 

I believe Gina Gaston went to CNN for awhile before coming back to KTRK Ch. 13

From her bio...

She continued as an anchor/reporter until 1999 when she left the station to move to New York and work for MSNBC.

She returned to ABC13 in June 2001 to again serve as a reporter and co-anchor, but this time for the Eyewitness News at 6pm and Eyewitness News at 10pm.

• 11 months later...
  • The title was changed to Old School Anchor Team Question

Archived